EGR Valve - Emissions Workshop Light on Dash

Hey guys, hope you're all well. Haven't really posted a lot on here but have read quite a bit. 

Im sure this topic has crept up before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer for my car. 

I have a Octavia Mk 2 1.9TDI L&K Auto DSG. Love the car but as per the topic title, it has thrown the Engine Management light up on the dash.

I took it to a garage who plugged it in and it came up with glow plug 1 fault and also the EGR valve. He tested the EGR and said the vacuum is knackered in it and it will need replacing. He also said that I can remove the EGR valve with a delete kit but would have to get it remapped (for the Engine Management light to go out). 

Whats the crack people? Should I just replace the EGR valve. Looking at around £70 (approx) for the part, or should I do the delete and remap? 

Appreciate any help/suggestions

Hey guys, hope you're all well. Haven't really posted a lot on here but have read quite a bit.

Im sure this topic has crept up before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer for my car.

I have a Octavia Mk 2 1.9TDI L&K Auto DSG. Love the car but as per the topic title, it has thrown the Engine Management light up on the dash.

I took it to a garage who plugged it in and it came up with glow plug 1 fault and also the EGR valve. He tested the EGR and said the vacuum is knackered in it and it will need replacing. He also said that I can remove the EGR valve with a delete kit but would have to get it remapped (for the Engine Management light to go out).

Whats the crack people? Should I just replace the EGR valve. Looking at around £70 (approx) for the part, or should I do the delete and remap?

Appreciate any help/suggestions

The EGR valve is likely to be full of crud, was the car hesitant? I'd have a look at cleaning the EGR valve first
  • Like 1

The EGR valve is likely to be full of crud, was the car hesitant? I'd have a look at cleaning the EGR valve first

+1 for the cleaning of the EGR Mr muscle oven cleaner and a toothbrush and lots of soapy water, followed by a good spray of WD40 to get rid of the water. Or leave the water, let the car idle to temperature and thrash it down the road, i did that accidentally once and loads of crud came out the back and left a sooty black line up the road! I guess the water/steam cleaned the gubbings?

Not sure if this may be of use, but when Shark did the remap, I asked for the EGR valve to be blocked off and settings adjusted accordingly.

Never a problem, not had a problem come MOT time.

1.9PD, now 106,000 miles.