Water Leak - Passenger Footwell

Hello Everyone.

First off, I love my Superb!!
I have had 4 Passats so far and the Superb, in my opinion is a much nicer, comfortable drive.
Anyway, enough drooling.

So, my new car (business lease) was delivered to me in June this year. More drooling.

During the "summer" wet spell, I noticed that the passenger footwell was completely sodden, to the extent that you could see water sat on top of the pile in the carpet.

I immediately took it to my local Skoda garage.
Unfortunately, they were "too busy" and did not even go an look at the extent of the damage.
I had to wait 2 weeks before they had an available slot, by this time the carpets had dried out and no sign of rain.

Of course, they said there was nothing wrong the carpets were dry!!  erm it was 2 weeks ago when I brought it in!!
Apparently they did two water tests and failed to be able to replicate the issue.  The air con was checked and no fault found, so they suggested that when it fails again as they actually expected it to fail, they would have to strip out the dash and the front interior to inspect it and it would take a couple of weeks!!

Shock.  My new car having its guts ripped out, lets hope it never rains.

To my horror, we get rain in England.
It rained last night and this morning and water is dripping down the footwell again :(

Now during the month or so where we have had no rain, I have had plenty of time to do a little observational testing.
Throughout the whole, no rain period, it has never failed.
I have tried running with air con on/off, dual on/off, recirculating on/off nothing.

First time it rains, it fails.

Is it really acceptable for a brand new car to fail, with what could be classed as a manufacturing fault and to have to have the interior stripped out to investigate.  What happens if they still cant find a fault.  Have I got a Friday afternoon model.

Simon

From other threads here there seem to be two reasons for this. One is a leaking windscreen seal, the second, and more common one is leaking through the air intake at the bottom of the windscreen. One requires the windscreen to be resealed and the other I think is fixed by firstly making sure the drain at the vent isn't blocked with leaves or anything else and secondly by moving some part of the ducting inside the back of the engine as one overflows into the other in some cases. Sorry I can't be more specific, but searching the forum should turn up the specific threads on this.

And it's completely unacceptable for an old car to leak like this, not to mind a new one. It's a good idea to try and get as much as possible of the history of this in writing as the dealer you're dealing with appears to be uninterested in anything like customer service, so you might have to get on to Skoda UK/Small claims court to get any value from your warranty.

Thanks for the reply, will dig around a bit more.

Yep, 4 months old and not too impressed with the dealer so far.
It is a business lease vehicle, through VW Finance so I have informed the company that arranged the deal, as no doubt if the carpet continues to get ruined they will try and charge me for it.  They, VWF, were horrible when my Passat went off hire.

No reply from the lease company, no reply from the dealer.

You mentioned about the window seal.

The dealer brought that up, said it had been checked and was genuine and sealed correctly.
They checked as they had a new vehicle come over by ship, suffered a damaged windscreen in cargo, was replaced but not done properly and no one was told.

It wasn't until some poor person got their car, they started to get leaks, that is when they checked and found it had a non VW windscreen.

Maybe I should take it to another dealer.

The challenge as always is to be able to demonstrate the fault. Next time, insist that someone - even the service receptionist - sees/feels the issue for themselves. Then there can be no denying that it is real and there should be no mere "nothing wrong gov!"

I did have a flood on the front passenger carpet; this was just 5 months after delivery (Sept 2012 car). My dealer did a good job. They had great difficulty reproducing the problem, but eventually a new windscreen was fitted - a heater one! However the interior had to be stripped in order to dry it out. Even in the surface of a carpet feels dry, the underlay/sound deadening will still be damp and will smell after a while unless properly dried or replaced.