DSG Leaking help

Engine: CRMB 150hp 2.0 TDI
6-speed DSG
No codes, no issues while driving/shifting
Regularly serviced; 1st oil and filter change at 59000km 2nd oil and filter change at 114000km
Currently at 118000km
Help?

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_3193.jpeg

Not a good sign and as much as i dont like to condemn big expensive parts as a whole. 

I dont think ive seen any repair companies offer a repair specifically for the mechatronics plug - that being said, it may be possible! But i thought it was fitted with a potting compound that it 'meant' to be leak free.

If no repair option is about, then a new mechatronic unit is required sadly. 

7 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Not a good sign and as much as i dont like to condemn big expensive parts as a whole. 

I dont think ive seen any repair companies offer a repair specifically for the mechatronics plug - that being said, it may be possible! But i thought it was fitted with a potting compound that it 'meant' to be leak free.

If no repair option is about, then a new mechatronic unit is required sadly. 

I have been informed by the dealer yesterday gahah

VW accept that it is a fabrication failure but they don’t want to replace it under the “goodwill” hahaha what a joke. That’s why I recommend Toyota,Lexus,Honda,Kia, etc.

well, it doesn’t affect the car or the gearbox in any negative way yet. I spoke to insurance and they offered me to leave the car for repair (replacement and coding of new unit) for 700$ which is really fair price for a mechatronic replacement.

I cleaned the leak and now I will check on it from time to time how much does it leak. If it doesn’t leak much I will continue driving and saving money for the repair since the insurance company said that they will cover it for 700$ as long the car is under 150000km (110000 currently) so even if the whole gearbox fails it will cost me 700. Can’t be bothered to fix it right now if that is the case.

6 hours ago, TDIMachoMan said:

VW accept that it is a fabrication failure but they don’t want to replace it under the “goodwill” hahaha what a joke. That’s why I recommend Toyota,Lexus,Honda,Kia, etc.

well, it doesn’t affect the car or the gearbox in any negative way yet. I spoke to insurance and they offered me to leave the car for repair (replacement and coding of new unit) for 700$ which is really fair price for a mechatronic replacement.

I cleaned the leak and now I will check on it from time to time how much does it leak. If it doesn’t leak much I will continue driving and saving money for the repair since the insurance company said that they will cover it for 700$ as long the car is under 150000km (110000 currently) so even if the whole gearbox fails it will cost me 700. Can’t be bothered to fix it right now if that is the case.

Hope you've got that in writing.

On 05/04/2024 at 03:53, TDIMachoMan said:

Erm… it has a massive effect on the car when the oil starts tracking up the wiring loom requiring a complete new engine bay harness.

I wouldn’t be leaving it and get it sorted asap 

22 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Erm… it has a massive effect on the car when the oil starts tracking up the wiring loom requiring a complete new engine bay harness.

I wouldn’t be leaving it and get it sorted asap 

Oh okay then!

I will check again for the leak this week I wonder if it gets worse or not. 
btw the contractor should be completely dry and oil free, or it is a normal thing to find tiny amount of oil inside the connector?

I visited few shops and one of them told me that it may be just pushed the overfill thru some valve above the connector and the oil find its way into connector. I didn’t know there was a valve above the connector for extra oil to escape?

1 hour ago, TDIMachoMan said:

Oh okay then!

I will check again for the leak this week I wonder if it gets worse or not. 
btw the contractor should be completely dry and oil free, or it is a normal thing to find tiny amount of oil inside the connector?

I visited few shops and one of them told me that it may be just pushed the overfill thru some valve above the connector and the oil find its way into connector. I didn’t know there was a valve above the connector for extra oil to escape?

the 2.0tsi had issues with coolant being pushed up the wiring looms

tourags had issues with oil being pushed up wires

vauxhalls had issues with oil pressure switches failing and pushing oil into the ECUs

Its not an unheard of thing so dont ignore it.

It should be bone dry and have no oil or fluids of any kind in it.

Above the connector is a breather, but there is no valve or anything to allow oil to escape, and if the DSG was that overfilled to allow this, then it will need draining and measuring to confirm if this was the case. 

Seen as all filling is done from the bottom and the filter is on the rear side, there is no reason for oil to be spilt anywhere near the connector.

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

the 2.0tsi had issues with coolant being pushed up the wiring looms

tourags had issues with oil being pushed up wires

vauxhalls had issues with oil pressure switches failing and pushing oil into the ECUs

Its not an unheard of thing so dont ignore it.

It should be bone dry and have no oil or fluids of any kind in it.

Above the connector is a breather, but there is no valve or anything to allow oil to escape, and if the DSG was that overfilled to allow this, then it will need draining and measuring to confirm if this was the case. 

Seen as all filling is done from the bottom and the filter is on the rear side, there is no reason for oil to be spilt anywhere near the connector.

Useful information thanks!

I I’ll check it this week again and share update on it here.

I just don’t have a second car in order to fix the issue asap.

i have to drive to work this car for a month and save money in order to leave it for a repair

I can only hope that it will not give up on me until that…

1 minute ago, TDIMachoMan said:

I just don’t have a second car in order to fix the issue asap.

i have to drive to work this car for a month and save money in order to leave it for a repair

I can only hope that it will not give up on me until that…

1 month... I wouldnt even be driving it a few days, you are genuinely asking for a much much higher bill.

Most garages arent going to strip apart individual looms to find the wires with ingress as it would take a silly amount of hours.

I dont mean to scare you but youve been made aware of the risks of pressurised oil heading up the wires to all parts of the engine bay harness and I just looked up the cost of a bay harness which is almost £4000 and another half of that for the labour of changing it.

After that, its your choice what you decide to do from now on as I can only tell you the worst case scenario.

Well I understand since I am just paying 700$ to my insurance and they will take care of the rest, doesn’t matter how much it cost at the end. I don’t know how it works in UK but here in Sweden we have something called “Machine fault” which means everything and anything that has to do with electronics or mechanical components of the car. You pay for a deductible depending on how many miles your vehicle has. In my case it is 117000km and the price of deductible is around 700$ (from 100000km up to 150000km)

So technically it doesn’t matter how many things goes wrong and how much does it cost to fix it you pay your deductible depending on the mileage of your vehicle.

£4000 for one part of the wiring harness and its 5 days since April fools day, VAG have people for fools every day with prices like that.

37 minutes ago, J.R. said:

£4000 for one part of the wiring harness and its 5 days since April fools day, VAG have people for fools every day with prices like that.

And such things insurance doesn’t cover or why people pay the full price?

You seem to be well looked after insurance wise.

I'd have thought the insurance company would want it repaired as soon as possible to avoid more expense.

At the moment it seems you're just looking at a new mechatronic unit which is already not cheap. For them to say it's ok to drive it with the risk of having to pay out considerably more, is to me unheard of. 

In the Uk they always do their best to pay out as little as possible. 

6 hours ago, ords said:

You seem to be well looked after insurance wise.

I'd have thought the insurance company would want it repaired as soon as possible to avoid more expense.

At the moment it seems you're just looking at a new mechatronic unit which is already not cheap. For them to say it's ok to drive it with the risk of having to pay out considerably more, is to me unheard of. 

In the Uk they always do their best to pay out as little as possible. 

Well you are right 100%

but let’s just say that they don’t know about my problem yet. The information I got was via friend that have the same insurance as me and he said “I saw a leak on my gearbox, car works fine but I am worried about it”

So I will just call my insurance and report the problem when I am ready to leave the car at the workshop or if the problem occurs before.

technically it was a luck factor that I found out about the leak shortly after it occurred. I was going through the flex oil service and noticed that the connector was wet. So I could drive for a year without noticing, only if it brakes down. It is difficult for them to know when it appeared and if I knew about it before:D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update “Solution”:

I sold the car to some other dealership since I didn’t want to pay the insurance for fixing the problem.

Bought 2 VW Golfs, both are MANUAL 😀

1997 16v GTI 20th anniversary edition

&

2013 1.4 Tsi (cambelt) First Edition GT package w/ sunroof and massage seats.

I call it a solution 🤣