Tow Preparation

Dexta Man

Hi all

Just returned home with replacement Yeti! 

Is there any way I can ascertain if a tow preparation has been installed in my new Yeti?

Other than taking off the LH rear trim panels and look for a red connector.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jerry

To be awkward -

A hatch cover suggests that there's been a removable towbar fitted, which in turn might suggest that the appropriate electrics have been seen to.  No way to prove anything, short of opening the cover and, if there's a socket there, plugging in a caravan (or a demountable lights board) and seeing if everything works. 

Check the codes on the sticker in the front of the service book!

Put them all into this decoder and it will show you what was factory fitted (not all options are listed on the sticker though, but towbar prep will be).

• Like 2

The hatch cover is part of the towbar prep..

But my (yet to receive) Yeti will be getting the hatch fitted as I'm gong to fit a towbar, but it won't have towbar prep from the factory.

Should I sell it later (not that I'm going to for a few years yet) I may remove the towbar, but leave the hatch in situ as opposed to replacing the whole rear bumper section.

A car with towbar prep will have the hatch.

Not all cars with hatches have towbar prep.

The only way to be sure is to remove the trim.  Interrogation of the sticker is also highly likely to be effective too.

Actually, is there no difference at the fusebox end?  The prep wiring connects to the fusebox somewhere, maybe this can yield a clue?

But my (yet to receive) Yeti will be getting the hatch fitted as I'm gong to fit a towbar, but it won't have towbar prep from the factory.

Should I sell it later (not that I'm going to for a few years yet) I may remove the towbar, but leave the hatch in situ as opposed to replacing the whole rear bumper section.

Hint.

If you want to remove the tow bar later, make sure that you get the bumper internal strengthening bar, as this is removed when they fit the tow bar. 

Hint.

If you want to remove the tow bar later, make sure that you get the bumper internal strengthening bar, as this is removed when they fit the tow bar.

Yes, I found out about this the first time I went round a corner after collecting my car from towbar fitting. Loud bang from the boot - the rear crash bar was laying loose in there. Make sure it's tied down :)

Hint.

Don't worry. I've already made that mistake on my Octavia.

Chucked the crash bar and bolts only to remove tow bar a few months later. Bought a crash bar from another Briskodian for £10 (bargain) but Skoda couldn't source any correct replacement bolts.

My top tip: put the bolts from the crash bar back in the holes when you fit the towbar. They fit on the Octavia and will also plug the holes so no moisture gets in!

Live and learn...

• Like 1

Hi all

Thanks for the assistance.

I put in all my codes as per KBPhoto's link and one of them said this:

"7AL = Anti-theft alarm system, passenger compartment control, backup horn and towing protection"

What does towing protection mean?

Cheers

Jerry

That just means that if you were get compatible towbar electrics fitted then the alarm system will cover any trailer connected up to the plug as well so the alarm will go off if the trailer plug is disconnected.

Ian