P0299 fault code - Skoda say new Turbo needed!

I have an 08 Octavia VRS (Diesel) and have had intermittent problems with the engine management light coming on - with the P0299 fault code. If you turn engine off and on again it disappears and may not come back for days or weeks, but then it starts to bog, lose power and then the light comes on again.

I took it to my local garage and they cleared the code and said try driving and see if it comes back again. Sure enough over time it did and this lead to the DPF light coming on (as I believe it can't re-gem itself if a fault code is stored). The same garage did a forced re-gen of DPF and cleared the code for £170. No further diagnosis of cause of fault code.

I have had fault code and DPF light come on again so took it to Skoda dealer. They have done a diagnosis and said I need a new turbo fitting. They have quoted £1600 for this.

Bugger.

I have read that there are various causes for P0299 fault code, but dealer says they have traced to the turbo.

Any advice here on experience with this fault code?

I have heard Skoda may offer a 'good will' gesture, but not sure what to do now!

Thanks for any help/ advice.

Chances are the veins on the VNT mechanism on the turbo are coked up and sticking.

Skoda will only ever offer a replacement turbo as a solution but it's overkill.

It can be cleaned DIY relatively easily before you go to the expense of replacing the turbo.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/243533-the-mr-muscle-vnt-turbo-treatment-thought-we-needed-a-guide-of-sorts/

See here for a more detailed description of the possible reasons behind a P0299 fault code...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

£170 for a forced regen, crikey they really wanted to ensure you never came back!

16683/P0299/000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached Possible Symptoms
  • Reduced Power Output
  • Limp Mode
Possible Causes
  • Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected or leaking
  • Charger Pressure Control defective
  • Turbocharger faulty
  • Diverter Valve faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
  • Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
  • Check Turbocharger
  • Check Diverter Valve
Special Notes
  • When found in 2.0l TFSI:
    • Check Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249), for cracked rubber diaphragm. A new/optimized Valve is available under Part # 06H-145-710-D (or newer).
      • RoW vehicles see: TPI 2016331 for details.
      • NAR vehicles see: TSB 01-07-70 or 2013392 for details.
    • When stored in conjunction with misfire codes and/or fuel trim faults see the notes associated with the following faults regarding PCV failure: Crankcase Breather Valve
  • If the Turbocharger is faulty due to mechanical / internal problems or the exhaust system is restricted (typically the Catalyst) this fault may be the end result.
  • When found in VW Golf/Jetta (1K): 2.0l CR-TDI (CBEA/CJAA):
    • Verify the mechanical part of the Exhaust Valve Control Module (J883) is not seized or binding.
  • When found in Audi A4/S4/RS4/Cabriolet (8K): 2.0l (CAEB):
    • See TPI 2031245/6 - turbocharger excessive waste-gate play
Edited by silver1011
  • Thanks 1

I had this fault code appear a few weeks ago. Engine management light would come on and Turbo would stop functioning. Turn car off and back on again and light would go off and everything was fine.

My fault would come back in a matter of hours though.

Turned out to be a sticking / seized actuator

So I've read through the mr

Muscle clean post and would be grateful for clarification before I start spraying!

My engine configuration is not the same as shown in that thread so just want to make sure I am doing right thing.

I have removed air intake pipe- which went directly in to turbo.

The actuator and actuator arm are just behind turbo (I have circled what I believe is the actuator arm)

The pipe work from the turbo then seems to exit via rubber pipe that clamps to metal pipe whic runs through engine bay and away from

Engine.

It looks like I can disconnect the rubber pipe and inject this way?

Can someone confirm if my plan makes sense?!

post-121799-0-62782900-1413365825_thumb.jpg

post-121799-0-76795000-1413365839_thumb.jpg

No that rubber pipe is on the cold side of the turbo. 

The sooted up veins are on the exhaust side of the turbo

I did this on my brother in law's passat with the same engine as yours.

If you can get underneath the car, you can do it by only removing the brass EGR pipe. You can then direct the hose downwards into the VNT mechanism of the turbo.

You can see on this picture the brass EGR pipe. It's only 4 bolts, but it's quite tight access. 

If you're underneath the car you can reach up and undo the bolts, take the pipe away and then get the silicone hose into the turbo.

EGRpipe_zps2d95143e.png

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 14/10/2014 at 12:15, Milhouse said:

I have an 08 Octavia VRS (Diesel) and have had intermittent problems with the engine management light coming on - with the P0299 fault code. If you turn engine off and on again it disappears and may not come back for days or weeks, but then it starts to bog, lose power and then the light comes on again.

I took it to my local garage and they cleared the code and said try driving and see if it comes back again. Sure enough over time it did and this lead to the DPF light coming on (as I believe it can't re-gem itself if a fault code is stored). The same garage did a forced re-gen of DPF and cleared the code for £170. No further diagnosis of cause of fault code.

I have had fault code and DPF light come on again so took it to Skoda dealer. They have done a diagnosis and said I need a new turbo fitting. They have quoted £1600 for this.

Bugger.

I have read that there are various causes for P0299 fault code, but dealer says they have traced to the turbo.

Any advice here on experience with this fault code?

I have heard Skoda may offer a 'good will' gesture, but not sure what to do now!

Thanks for any help/ advice.

Maybe is too late but look for the hoses

On 14/10/2014 at 18:26, Hungry Horace said:

I had this fault code appear a few weeks ago. Engine management light would come on and Turbo would stop functioning. Turn car off and back on again and light would go off and everything was fine.

My fault would come back in a matter of hours though.

Turned out to be a sticking / seized actuator

Same here, I sprayed it with WD40 and spent ages pushing it in and out. It was pretty stiff to begin and seemed to stick at a certain point but  eventually freed off and no trouble since. 

Alasdair