Gone to 215's

I've recently put 215's on all around and the ride is much better in that there is less noise and less crashy plus much more grip.

However, this most likely is down to different a different tyre make as it now feels like it bounces around more when driving on the motorway but I'm getting use to it now.

It might also be down to having a updated lower engine mount fitted.

At least on the front. I'd worn out yet another set of front tyres within 9000 miles with the inner edges going down to the cord after I pushed a bit hard on a spirited drive a few evenings ago. Thought I may as well go up a size to see what happens. Initial impressions are that it sits much nicer on the rims and looks now that the tyre is meant for the wheel. Before the tyres had a tilted in look so will be interesting to see if the wear is as bad as before.

Since it's only an experiment I've gone for Kumho KU39's. A few here have run them and reviews seem good so I thought why not. Will also be interesting to see how it handles being wider on the front. I think it should be pretty good.

Good luck with the Kumho's! I had them all round for a while and didn't enjoy how they made the car feel. Mainly when I changed from Conti SC2 on the rear to the kumho's. They just felt squidgey for want of a better word. Front axle not connected to the rear into corners. Maybe the 215 will have a better sidewall lateral strength. 

I have since changed to Michelin PS3 on the front and although they feel softer on the road, the sidewall doesnt give as much so they actually corner better while being quieter on rough surfaces and more comfortable. Go figure!

Good luck with the Kumho's! I had them all round for a while and didn't enjoy how they made the car feel. Mainly when I changed from Conti SC2 on the rear to the kumho's. They just felt squidgey for want of a better word. Front axle not connected to the rear into corners. Maybe the 215 will have a better sidewall lateral strength. 

I have since changed to Michelin PS3 on the front and although they feel softer on the road, the sidewall doesnt give as much so they actually corner better while being quieter on rough surfaces and more comfortable. Go figure!

I hated the kumhos too... poor dry weather grip!

I've recently put 215's on all around and the ride is much better in that there is less noise and less crashy plus much more grip.

However, this most likely is down to different a different tyre make as it now feels like it bounces around more when driving on the motorway but I'm getting use to it now.

It might also be down to having a updated lower engine mount fitted.

Ditto this apart from the bouncing isn't a problem. Tyre pressures?

Just swapped to some 18" 215 35 and an inch wider rim. :)

As long as you stay within 5% of the rolling radius you are fine. There is even a setting in MAxidot to go for winter tyres and change the rolling radius to suit :)

As I understand it, fitted tyres, whether Summer or Winter, must be the specification that the manufacturer endorses/uses and if not you must declare the non-standard usage to the insurance who will take a view to charge a different insurance premium.  Not to do so will give the insurance company an out not to pay a claim if one is made and the tyres must confirm to the width, aspect ratio, speed rating, rim type ie J type.

My winters are full sized ones ie 205/40-17, V rated so no problem in spec as the same as the summer spec ones though Skoda have a winter spec which is 195/55-15 from memory but these are usually H rated and not the appropriate V rated tyres.

Since the car's speedo reads about 5% about the GPS/true speed then 215s might actually correct some of the error in the analogue speedo (though the digital Km/hr is also incorrect oddly). 

Thought about changing to 215s when it became clear the Original Equipment Contis clearly could be melted by the engine power when driven hard the so I use Nexen N'Feru for summer and Nexen Winguards for winter usage and these are good ie close to the Michelin PS3s.  

A wider profile can help alloy rim damage which is a benefit.

When entering the cooler part of the year, and assuming you want to get the tyres up to between 40c to 60 / 70c then it is more difficult to get the wider tyre to that temperature than the standard tyre so tempting as it is to change to 215s I will stick with 205s which are cheaper and I should have no insurance compliance issues with sticking with the 205 size.  

Edited by lol-lol

Other thinking going on i suspect,

and loads of stuff that gets repeated year after year

Some of that is just so wrong not only as theory but in practice & in Fact,

and that is for driving in the UK and Mainland Europe, which Zabozuma, you and many others do safely.

Winter after winter.

http://autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/66645/winter-tyres-test-reviews-and-prices-2014

http://autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/84738/driving-snow-top-tips

Edited by goneoffSKi