Water in the front doors of VRS octavia

This happens on my Octy 3. It happened on my Octy 2. It happens on my wife's Fabia 2.

I posted about this on the previous thread on this subject along with pictures. I proved to my own satisfaction that it has abolutely nothing to do with door seals. On the Fabia the design of the bottom door lip is totally different from the Octy - the door seal is nowhere near the drain holes which are exposed to the atmosphere. In theory it should always drain.

However after experimenting I demonstrated to myself that the water appears to collect in the upper part of inside of the door when the car is on any slope - however slight. Opening the door alters the angle of the door and this is when the water drains from the door. Its almost as though there is an internal bracing strut in the door which is of a shape that allows water to puddle on it when the car is not level.

Finally, I have never seen this on the rear doors - only the front. The conclusion I draw is that this is a design flaw in the door rather than the seals.

This happens on my Octy 3. It happened on my Octy 2. It happens on my wife's Fabia 2.

I posted about this on the previous thread on this subject along with pictures. I proved to my own satisfaction that it has abolutely nothing to do with door seals. On the Fabia the design of the bottom door lip is totally different from the Octy - the door seal is nowhere near the drain holes which are exposed to the atmosphere. In theory it should always drain.

However after experimenting I demonstrated to myself that the water appears to collect in the upper part of inside of the door when the car is on any slope - however slight. Opening the door alters the angle of the door and this is when the water drains from the door. Its almost as though there is an internal bracing strut in the door which is of a shape that allows water to puddle on it when the car is not level.

Finally, I have never seen this on the rear doors - only the front. The conclusion I draw is that this is a design flaw in the door rather than the seals.

Interesting theory, but with my Octy III and SWMBOs Octy IIFL side by side on the drive, which slopes downhill, only the Octy III doors fill with water, so there must be some other manufacturing tolerance coming into play that means some cars are not affected.

Interesting theory, but with my Octy III and SWMBOs Octy IIFL side by side on the drive, which slopes downhill, only the Octy III doors fill with water, so there must be some other manufacturing tolerance coming into play that means some cars are not affected.

I accept its just a theory but I think speculation is all we really have until such time as somebody removes the door trim, plays a hosepipe on the widow/door seal and observes the actual internal track of the water. But I'm not volunteering! !

• Like 1

I understand your comment Cortina 63 re "life being too short" and no disrespect meant as I value you suggestions but if I pay many thousands of pounds for a new Skoda I expect it to be fit for purpose and not leaking water all over the front mats.

Biggles

I would say if leaking onto your mats then you have a unique problem which you should take up with SKUK as your dealer seems uninterested, as I said before and for the record I have had several Octavia and they have all done this but none have ever leaked inside the vehicle. I don't really see this as an issue and quite frankly when I see water travelling away from the inside of my car as opposed to travelling inside when I open the door I guess everything is working as it should be.
  • Like 2