Rear bumper removal

wat50n

• 2 years later...

Thanks Redman, I realise this is an old post but it's the best I can find. Going to try it next week and wondered if there are any other tips that may be useful? I have a fixed tow hitch fitted (that's what I am accessing) Did removing the wheels help?

Edited by bryanb

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Watson, can't think why I said Redman. Anyway I did the job without a hitch. I found removing the wheels was useful.

I would like to add that I have reversing sensors in the bumper, their cable is long enough to gain reasonable access but would have to be removed if you wanted to take the bumper away from the car.

Great post, I followed easy guide that you laid out and surprised myself by doing it. I didn't have time to take wheels off but managed it just fine. I would just like to Post Script about the plastic rivets and reversing sensors.

I bought a bag of 10 new plastic rivets beforehand as I knew I'd probably break the old ones (which I did of course) and the point of removing the rear bumper was to re-glue the sensors back in position. The wiring is held in with metal clips that pop off easy enough and clip back on just as easy.

I pulled the sensor wiring plugs off using a small screwdriver to push in the tiny locking lug then wiggling the plug off. The bumper just comes right off then. 

The sensors are stuck on using what looks likest black mastic type goo that dries to a brittle crisp, I cleaned this stuff off easily and used a 2 pack type fast set glue. Solid. Well pleased.

Thanks Watson, big salute. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am aiming to replace a rear parking sensor this weekend (if it stops raining) - thanks for the information and photos it doesn't look too hard of a job. I will let you know how I get on.

I am aiming to replace a rear parking sensor this weekend (if it stops raining) - thanks for the information and photos it doesn't look too hard of a job. I will let you know how I get on.

Just a quick update - the bumper came off easy enough, didn't take the wheels off so a couple of the torx screws were a bit fiddly regarding access. The parking sensor was a straight swap after a VCDS diagnostic check, then I tested the sensors to make sure they were working before replacing the bumper. After a removal of mud and a quick clean up, the bumper clipped straight back on.

A job that look quite daunting, ended up being a simple job - Thanks again.