Poor quality parts-vrs

Did a test drive today in a white TSI DSG, 63 plate demo with just over 5k on the clock.

I was glad as it was interesting to see how the car went once run in and any wear etc.

The sound generator made it sound like a V6! Loved that.

Tbh it didn't seem like a well cared for car as it was quite dirty inside like it had done the tip run but my issues were the rear backrest 1/2 leather covers which were not taught and quite creased and i know they are plastic ultimately but poor quality centre cap damage almost like corrosion.

9F8A80F8-59C0-4BD6-A9CA-50A353E7C1CB_zps

526A0D92-E8EB-4A1D-AB29-357FB2BCD461_zps

5DF2EE83-CC9D-4CF5-AAB8-DEC85DA4A82F_zps

I did also get to see a high spec meteor grey TDI VRS with 18k on it and lots of toys which was sold. The full leather seemed much more taught and better quality. I also got to see the canton system.

I also confirmed that an iphone 5s and ipod nano using the apple usb lead will not play on the bolero system. This car was 12months old though.

The dealer was very helpful and willing to match the 13% discount i'd been offered elsewhere. (I will add a dealer review in the apropriate section)

Does that seem like a good discount as i read on here some have got £4.5k off via internet deals? Mine equates to £3.2k.

... and i know they are plastic ultimately but poor quality centre cap damage almost like corrosion.

I also confirmed that an iphone 5s and ipod nano using the apple usb lead will not play on the bolero system. This car was 12months old though.

More likely acidic cleaning products from one of the "car wash for a fiver" places. Mine are fine.

You can use Bluetooth for the iPhone 5s for music (I do) just fine but i did think you could use USB as well but just wouldn't get the artwork or full control over playlists etc without Mitsumi.

Is that 3.2k off list price or off the second hand value? I think I got roughly £1,500 off the new price on a new car.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

More likely acidic cleaning products from one of the "car wash for a fiver" places. Mine are fine.

You can use Bluetooth for the iPhone 5s for music (I do) just fine but i did think you could use USB as well but just wouldn't get the artwork or full control over playlists etc without Mitsumi.

Is that 3.2k off list price or off the second hand value? I think I got roughly £1,500 off the new price on a new car.

£3.2k new order with extras.

but i did think you could use USB as well but just wouldn't get the artwork or full control over playlists etc without Mitsumi.

Nope, unless you spec Columbus you need Mitsumi for plugged in full functionality of Apple devices.

My centre cap are going the same way as above, will wait til their worse then I'll get them replaced under warranty.

Tbh it didn't seem like a well cared for car as it was quite dirty inside like it had done the tip run but my issues were the rear backrest 1/2 leather covers which were not taught and quite creased and i know they are plastic ultimately but poor quality centre cap damage almost like corrosion.

9F8A80F8-59C0-4BD6-A9CA-50A353E7C1CB_zps

One of my centre caps has gone this way I noticed today when swapping on to my winter wheels. It certainly hasn't seen any acidic wheel cleaner.

Wow. I thought that was a bit early and then I noticed where you live. So after due consideration, I guess it's a bit late? ;)

Yes I'm a bit early also, but I work away from home for two weeks every month and my next chance to swap over would be mid November, maybe too late. Temps are getting into the range for winter rubber now and I'm wary of running the diamond-cut Geminis on the salty roads. Plus the tread on the OE contis sport contact 2s seems to wear quickly, might prolong them a few months by swapping early.

As for the centre caps, I'd be mentioning it to the dealer if a couple of them were bad.

Couple of things.....

The leather seat covers on Skodas from my own experience have never been particularly great. Everything on a "full" leather interior is leatherette apart from the bits that your bum and lower back touch, but again they aren't the best quality....then again Skoda is still the value VAG group proposition.

I had full vRS leather in my 2013 Mk2 Blackline (which part of me wishes I'd kept) looked lovely when new but within a couple of months the drivers seat went horrendously shiny and the base started to bag badly too. A clean with leather restorer temporarily brought back the matte finish and helped to taughten up the leather but within a few journeys it went funny again. Also having two children I had to stick kiddy seats in the back. To begin with I put one in without a seat cover and in just moments it permanently deformed the base and backrest foam and stretched the cover. I did put a cover on it after realising the horror and over time (and with a bit of massaging) it did more or less return to normal but there were a couple of telltales. I still felt that for a 11 month old car with 11k miles on the clock it wasn't v good.

The Mk3 is just as bad though now have leather/alcantara as have an Elegance.

Also all 3 skodas I have owned the centre caps have gone that way, also found the diamond cut wheels start spider webbing after just a few months of ownership (and that was across two full sets of wheels). The centre caps on my MK3 have gone and it's not a year old yet.

I've owned all three cars from new over the past three and a bit years.

Couple of things.....

The leather seat covers on Skodas from my own experience have never been particularly great. Everything on a "full" leather interior is leatherette apart from the bits that your bum and lower back touch, but again they aren't the best quality....then again Skoda is still the value VAG group proposition.

I had full vRS leather in my 2013 Mk2 Blackline (which part of me wishes I'd kept) looked lovely when new but within a couple of months the drivers seat went horrendously shiny and the base started to bag badly too. A clean with leather restorer temporarily brought back the matte finish and helped to taughten up the leather but within a few journeys it went funny again. Also having two children I had to stick kiddy seats in the back. To begin with I put one in without a seat cover and in just moments it permanently deformed the base and backrest foam and stretched the cover. I did put a cover on it after realising the horror and over time (and with a bit of massaging) it did more or less return to normal but there were a couple of telltales. I still felt that for a 11 month old car with 11k miles on the clock it wasn't v good.

Also all 3 skodas I have owned the centre caps have gone that way, also found the diamond cut wheels start spider webbing after just a few months of ownership (and that was across two full sets of wheels). The centre caps on my MK3 have gone and it's not a year old yet.

Thanks for the reply. Indeed the leatherette did seem obvious. I have a two year old with a baby seat so looking at a complete set of seats covers and i use a thicker child seat cover to hopefully combat this. The 18k car did seem ok. Some crease marks to the base and side bolster but seen much worse.

Skoda are seen as a budget brand but i've seen audi tts with poor premature leather ageing.

Couple of things.....

Thanks for the reply. Indeed the leatherette did seem obvious. I have a two year old with a baby seat so looking at a complete set of seats covers and i use a thicker child seat cover to hopefully combat this. The 18k car did seem ok. Some crease marks to the base and side bolster but seen much worse.

Skoda are seen as a budget brand but i've seen audi tts with poor premature leather ageing. I would love half leather alcantara in the vrs.

Indeed the Vienna leather in Golf GTI's (MK6 at least) wear v poorly, I don't think it's necessarily confined to Skoda....unless you buy a very high end VAG product the leather is a bit meh....same said for BMW and Mercs though

• 1 month later...

I noticed today that my centre caps have started going like this too, the wheels have only been washed with water and are always waxed after washing. I've been away for 2 months and before I left they were fine and i've come back to find them all like above!

Has anyone managed to get these replaced under warranty? If not any idea of a part number/price to get them replaced?

The centre caps on my Octavia Mk1 were trashed after only a year or so of driving, but I never bothered replacing them.

Yesterday I took delivery of my brand new 1.4 Elegance DSG.

I was hoping that by now (I had my Mk1 for 14 years and 221,000 miles!) Skoda would have the centre caps down to a fine art, but reading this thread it seems that's no so.

Are there any aftermarket alternatives (with or without the Skoda logo) that you guys would recommend?

I noticed today that my centre caps have started going like this too, the wheels have only been washed with water and are always waxed after washing. I've been away for 2 months and before I left they were fine and i've come back to find them all like above!

Has anyone managed to get these replaced under warranty? If not any idea of a part number/price to get them replaced?

Dealer will replace them no problem. Just ask.