Long delays. Considering cancelling my order.

6 month lead times seem to be the norm across the VAG group, I've just ordered a Golf R (5 door DSG) and been quoted April delivery.

I'm not replacing my Octavia this is the family motor I just fancied a bit of fun for a few years (2 year personal contract hire), I did consider a M135i which I could have had on my drive in 6 weeks!!....but I preferred the Golf.

Just a final update as promised. After another test drive on some faster roads and motorways I've decided the 6 is definitely where I want to be. Had the Skoda been anything like timely I'd have been delighted I'm sure, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say.

Delivery's set for two weeks time, which is a breath of fresh air lol. Enjoy your motors guys, I've nothing against them and would look at Skoda again in three years if they've sorted out the waiting times.

Congrats on choice and peace of mind of knowing when it will arrive. Those that have not been messed around like you, don't appreciate how much of a hassle it is with constantly moving dates and no idea of when it will arrive.

A number of us went through the same issue earlier this year on VRS estate orders. At the time a couple of people chose Mazda 6 estates and were very happy when they arrived within a few weeks like yours. My alternative from another manufacturer took 6 weeks for a factory order to my spec, so it's possible to manage something Skoda seem to constantly get wrong.

Have fun with your new car, and even more fun with the expanding family next year. :)

cheers, Steve

tbh....it was the exterior styling I preferred on the Golf to the M135i and the lease deals are really good on the Golf at the moment.

Leasing the Golf for 2 years is only costing about £100 more overall than what it will cost me to have my Octavia on a PCP for the same amount of time and that's with the 0% PCP. I know I have to give the Golf back after 2 years but like I said, a bit of fun.

If I lived in Auzzieland I would blindly sign for a Monaro VXR, no questions asked. That would be my ideal daily driver, and, on wild weekends - track car.

But alas, that car is not for sale in the Netherlands because it's only available in RHD, only driven in faraway places where civilization has not caught on yet.

big wink ;-)

If I lived in Auzzieland I would blindly sign for a Monaro VXR, no questions asked. That would be my ideal daily driver, and, on wild weekends - track car.

But alas, that car is not for sale in the Netherlands because it's only available in RHD, only driven in faraway places where civilization has not caught on yet.

big wink ;-)

No such thing as a Monaro (that was the 2-door). Your talking either a Commodore SS or a HSV R8 Clubsport. Clubsports are about AUD 70k street price. depreciation is pretty substantial as well so you can pick up a used one for about half that after 2 years. A mate bought an R8 new last year just before the new model came out & goy a 27% discount off RRP - tough luck for those that bought a month or two beforehand.

Speed limits here are 110kmh (except NT) and religously enforced by the State Revenue Raisers. Fines are high & 30kmh over results in instant licence loss & big fines - much bigger than anything in Europe.

If you drive really carefully you might average 16L/100km but if you live in the capital cities you'll be mainly stuck in traffic and use a lot more.

The production of these cars is oxymoronic when you look at our road rules and how most Australians live. The consumers are aware of it & sales of this type of car are relatively low. Unfortunately the manufacturers chose to ignore this which is why both Ford & General motors are pulling the plug and ceasing manufacture in the next few years. No more AU built cars - not even a CKD assembly facility.

They are pieces of crap anyway, lacking in features, technology & quality. If you want them, come & get them.

• Like 1

That's a bit harsh. The vf and fgx are a performance bargain. Especially for the size (5 series/e class). Easy to scree lots more power out of them too, especially that supercharged 5l in the falcon.

But buying one second hand after 2-3 years is the best bet. 1/2 price and lots of love still to give

That's a bit harsh. The vf and fgx are a performance bargain. Especially for the size (5 series/e class). Easy to scree lots more power out of them too, especially that supercharged 5l in the falcon.

But buying one second hand after 2-3 years is the best bet. 1/2 price and lots of love still to give

Since 1989 my wife has been on the company car teat. Weve owned 17 Holden / Fords. They are good until 40,000km, then it all goes pear-shaped. Maybe we were just consistently unlucky.

I've had a few, bought secondhand and haven't had any major issues. Had some bushes done on the last one, but that had 160k on it, so to be expected.

Edit: although I've always had high spec v8 versions so that may be why mine were reliable.

Edited by GTR27

Don't you have apps on your phone that warn you about fixed and mobile speed traps? We do, and I can count my fines on the fingers of one hand, having been speeding ever since I got my license. Though exclusively on highways, I'm always prudent and careful around town, especially in rural area's and low-speed zones.

We lose our license at 50km/h over the limit and you can risk losing the car as well if you do more than a 100% over the limit. 

That said a powerful engine needn't always be just for fast driving, torque delivers comfort as well. I do feel it's a bit contradictory that massive countries such as yours have such low speed limits. When traversing enormous distances you'd want to make a bit of time by going faster, right? And it's not as if the sheeps and 'roos will mind...

I've found Aussie speed limits to be quite high compared to the US. There are 110 roads here that would be given no more than 80 over there. A typical Aussie highway would get a limit of 90-100.

Also, the Monaro was sold in Britain as a Vauxhall. There was also a LHD version in the US, the Pontiac GTO.

I've found Aussie speed limits to be quite high compared to the US. There are 110 roads here that would be given no more than 80 over there. A typical Aussie highway would get a limit of 90-100.

Also, the Monaro was sold in Britain as a Vauxhall. There was also a LHD version in the US, the Pontiac GTO.

Most state limits are 70-75mph over there (112-120kph) but more importantly, everywhere but California they allow a reasonable Lee way. Most traffic flows at ~80 (129 kph). In comparison, our limits are rigidly enforced with little to no enforcement of any other offences (a large part of why our drivers are **** - you really notice it when you go overseas how courteous other countries are).

Our biggest problem is the authorities chant that speed is the only problem, where in reality, it's just another factor. They mis-report crash data to serve their purpose (if someone was doing 90 in a 110 zone, but crashed because rain was torrential - that is listed as speeding. Inappropriate does for the conditions, yes, but it is not 'speeding').

When the roads in the NT were reduced from de-restricted to 130, accidents went UP. Similarly, after many years they have decided to de-restrict them again, and accidents have gone down.

Yet they don't take this example and increase other, far more capable roads (Hume highway, m1 between Brisbane and gold coast).

Our limits are very low in the western world (let's face it, there aren't very many 110 roads, most have 100 Max and some brand new roads that should be 110, are given 80 and 90 limits.) Our licencing laws need to be revised, and so do our speed limits.

• Like 1

I just love having to travel to Germany for work, which is only a good hour away from where I live. 

No speed limit, just local ones due to road works, entries/exits or other valid reasons. 

Other than that it's what you think is safe and responsible. I usually slow down somewhat when overtaking with no lanes in-between, a lot more so when overtaking motorbikes (due to the wind slam they get).

When I can have at least one lane in between me and the other traffic I just floor it all the way, to what that particular car may do (230kph in the BMW, about the same in the Skoda). 

You can really save time there so I always pick Germany if I have the choice (usually our international meetings are in Belgium, England or Germany if it's not in the States).

In the Netherlands the mean limit is 130kph but it's very often pulled down to 100kph for nonsensical reasons. They have mobile speed traps deployed daily on multiple roads, camera's are abundant and the country is tiny enough as it is.

So I usually go no further than 180kph, not only because of the license-revoke-limit of 50kph over but also because traffic often won't allow for it. Of course, when it's too crowded or misty, rainy, you name it, I behave accordingly.

Don't you have apps on your phone that warn you about fixed and mobile speed traps? We do, and I can count my fines on the fingers of one hand, having been speeding ever since I got my license. Though exclusively on highways, I'm always prudent and careful around town, especially in rural area's and low-speed zones.

We lose our license at 50km/h over the limit and you can risk losing the car as well if you do more than a 100% over the limit. 

That said a powerful engine needn't always be just for fast driving, torque delivers comfort as well. I do feel it's a bit contradictory that massive countries such as yours have such low speed limits. When traversing enormous distances you'd want to make a bit of time by going faster, right? And it's not as if the sheeps and 'roos will mind...

We do have apps but for mobile speed cameras (subcontracted to a private company) somebody has to see them first and be bothered to report it.

The list of fixed speed cameras (often incorporated with a red light camera) runs to 28 pages just for NSW.  Considering that 5.5m of the 7.5m people are crammed into Sydney, about 80% of the cameras are in the Greater Sydney area.  Plus every HWP car has a front/rear facing radar & a hand held radar plus automated licence plate recognition (this is actually a good thing).

From my experience, Police rarely exercise their judgement and let people off.  It's believed they have an unofficial daily quota of fines to fill.

GTR27 has summed up Aussie drivers pretty well.

LOLing at sheep & roos - most of us live in the city and never see either.  I'd be unusual because I work on the Western outskirts & kangaroos hop up to my office (and echidnas, black snakes, brown snakes & diamond pythons).

Monaro (the coupe) is now a 10 year old car.  Last built 2005.

I can kind-of see your point but have found speed limits for B-roads to be reasonably high in California, Germany, Austria & Czech Republic.  The weird bit is that we have roads that are as good or better than in those places & we are still limited to 100kmh/110kmh when elsewhere it would be 130kmh (minimum).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, and no... As promised the car was delivered to dealer and ready to go last Friday. Less than two weeks from order!

Unfortunately the franchised dealer had accidentally ordered the saloon instead of the tourer so I've got to wait two more weeks for the right car. Bit annoying but still pales into insignificance next to Skoda. The O3 I originally ordered in July is STILL waiting on a build date, so no regrets, just mildly frustrated. Can't wait to take delivery finally and it will be nice to have OEM TomTom :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a final update for those interested. The right car was delivered a week and a bit later as promised, and I'm absolutely loving it. Tons of room inside, plenty of leg room at the back (even behind me at 6'5") and the 2.0 NA petrol is an absolute peach. On the way home from the dealer the OBC was showing 47mpg and now I've had it a week and covered 700 miles I'm returning 50mpg on the motorway and 40+ around town. For a petrol car that's bigger and heavier than the O3 (and has proper multilink rear suspension, it's about Superb sized actually) that's fantastic. :D 

It drives really well and has much more responsive and direct steering than the Octy. The whole chassis is so lively and light, and it has tons of grip. Really liking it and glad I didn't keep on waiting for the O3. The Skoda dealer kept the order open so they could use it as stock, and it still hasn't even been allocated a build week after being moved back to code 10. The order went in the first week of July and six months later still no movement. So glad I didn't believe the dealer and wait 'just a couple more weeks' a month ago!..... 

• Like 1

Glad you're enjoying it - I looked at the 6 Tourer, but just preferred the interior on the vRS.  Fortunately I was in no hurry for mine and there was never any hint of a delay that would have caused me problems, but if that had been then I quite probably would have been over to the Mazda dealer...