vrs tfsi - induction kit vs performance panel filter

Hi Guys,

Looking for opinions/previous experience please. 

Should i buy an induction kit for the vrs or a K and N/pipercross panel filter for the standard airbox?

opinions on both an why would be much appreciated. 

I should probably add that I am likely to follow this with a cat back system and a remap at some point. 

Thanks in advance

Steve

Two different ways really:

1) If going stage 1 (just a remap- can include cat-back exhaust) just keep your standard panel filter, the performance ones really won't do anything.

2) If going stage 2 (turbo back exhaust; intake and remap) then I'd consider a full intake- they do make a difference mid-range and top end. Some have reported a slight loss in low down torque.

Regards,

Stu

• Like 1

I have had both and not noticed a slight bit of difference, as STU08 says it is probably worth it for stage 2......I have it just for the noise but even that is getting a bit annoying now so am considering going back to standard 

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother - just put a new paper filter in every 20-30k.  The OEM setup flows surprisingly well according to one of the mechs down here that was in charge of engine development for a VW race team.

I ran Stage 2+ with the std paper element and it ran fine. I had a boost fluctuation with the K&N element so switched back to paper. Intakes do increase the peak power but I found my car was quicker with the std airbox fitted as it had loads more low down/mid range torque and could pull me out of corners quicker. I think I lost 10bhp peak when I removed the intake but gained a more driveable car by keeping the std air box. 

For £30 stick a panel filter in as they don't need replacing at services ;)

Just make sure the dealer/indy who is servicing your vehicle knows you have a K&N fitted of they will change it regardless, not all know the difference between a paper filter and K&N. Mine was swapped out so I had to buy another, arrrhh!

A closed kit such as ITG / VW Racing or j1automotive will give a noticeable improvement with other mods, map, Intercooler etc. if you not going down that route then I wouldn't bother, spend the £2-300 on ARB's :)

Just make sure the dealer/indy who is servicing your vehicle knows you have a K&N fitted of they will change it regardless, not all know the difference between a paper filter and K&N. Mine was swapped out so I had to buy another, arrrhh!

That's amazing!!!

Totally tools!!

Can't beliveve they would chuck it out?

That's amazing!!!

Totally tools!!

Can't beliveve they would chuck it out?

I know, I checked a few days after the service and noticed a paper filter so I rang them straight away to tell them their mistake but they'd thrown it, doh! I bought a mint 2nd hand one off eBay for £20 the same day.