Vrs PD engine

Mixed reviews, I hear they suffer from a few issues such as dpf and also injectors would this be something to avoid ?

I've seen a mk2 vrs, 65k with fsh totally standard but the worry about the issues is putting me off ive read the cr is the better engine but seem to fetch a larger premium :(

Budget is 6k what to do :(

I'd hold out for a CR170.

The PD170 isn't the best engine thanks to the DPF, especially now they getting longer in the tooth. The vast majority of DPF related threads on here tend to involve the PD170.

The injectors aren't a problem as long as the dealer that performed the VOSA recall did the job properly.

Milage isn't a problem with the cr engine. If you're not doing loads of miles have you considered the petrol as you'll get a newer lower milage one for your budget because depreciation is higher on them when new when compared to the tdi.

I drive a PD and have never had the DPF light on. As mentioned above I think it comes down to the type of driving you'll be doing. I do a fair amount of motorway driving and good runs which keep the DPF clear.

Injectors have all been done by Skoda too so no issues there :D 

Having never driven the CR I can't comment to much but talking to few people it seems they develop there torque a lot more linearly that the PD which dumps it in a huge lump!
As far as i'm aware if you find a looked after one then neither engine will give you to many issues (famous last words) 

Ive come to the conclusion my problems are driving style, sitting in traffic at 30 mph stop start for 2 hrs per day ! I now haven't had a recurrence of the light since taking it for a short drive when the revs indicate 1000rpm, clears after a few miles.

A PD170 vRS with 65k sounds like a good proposition - just run in. These are good cars (I have one) and will run for ages if cared for properly. Personally I like the boosty nature of the power delivery compared to the more linear CR engine.

I can offer a few pointers:

Check the injectors have been replaced as per VOSA recall - should be noted in service book

Car of this age should have had a new cambelt - should also be noted in service book

DPF issues only occur if the car is driven for frequent short journeys and a DPF regen cannot occur. As you are doing 50 miles per day you will be fine.

These cars really benefit from being driven hard regularly to get them hot and clean them out. Driving it like a Greenline will do it no favours.

Sometimes on higher milage cars (~100k) the PD170 engine can stutter when turbo comes in. This is quite a common fault and is due to the VNT turbo vanes not actuating correctly. This doesn't mean the turbo needs replacing, instead it needs a 'Mr Muscle' clean (search on here for Lofty79's guide).

Other suggestions if you like tinkering with your car to keep it running sweet:

Clean the EGR valve yourself (easy)

Clean intake manifold yourself (easyish)

Fit restrictor gasket between exhaust feed pipe and EGR (very easy) to reduce gas recirc

Elephant mod to stop crankcase gas recirc into intake and gum it up (also easy)

Use Millers EcoMax fuel additive

Who needs an expensive CR anyway? ;-p