Towbar Fitting Help

Octavia 4x4 Estate MK2 recently purchase. Wife wants a caravan. Go to local towshop.

Have you got parking sensors. Yes. then you need a detachable ball towbar.

Do you want 13pin socket. Yes. That will be £580 . OUCH

If you want  a fixed ball & 13pin socket. That will be £305 (not bad) but the parking sensors may trigger no guaranty.

If you want a fixed ball & 7pin universal sockets. That will be £218 (very reasonable) but the parking sensors may trigger no guaranty.

I would really like a fixed ball. Handy for backing up to walls/fences. The parking sensors leave a one foot "guess" region. A bump stop is better!  Plus no ****ing about to remove the ball joint when the journey is finshed.

Can anyone recommend a fixed ball that doen't trigger the parking sensors.

Regards

Alan

I have the Mk 3 Octavia and yes the price is  'ouch'. I have a detachable tow bar but it can be left in place without causing the sensors to bing, I believe, but needs to be checked that its when the trailer electrics are plugged in that the sensors do not work, also. if you are getting a caravan then maybe the cable that charges  as you drive (the one that charges the fridge and the caravan battery) will not be connected, however this last bit may not apply to the model you have, just a thought to bare in mind when you decide to fit one.

The high cost of the fitment is, I am told, because they have to replace the vehicles back cross member which has the tow fitment welded to it, 

Gone are the days of fitting brackets,

Best regards to all

I have just looked up your 4x4 on the Towsure website and the price for a fixed tow bar and extended tow ball including twin electrics and fully fitted is £341-90.

If you buy a caravan with an Alko type towing stabilizer (which a lot do) you will need the extended tow ball. I fitted my own to the Octavia and as previously mentioned, you do substitute the bumper reinforcing bar, but the tow bar takes its place, i fitted one to my Meriva as well and this the same type of fitment.

Call Towsure and they will be glad to help.

Regards

Nick

There are many companies that will do the job, I had a fixed swan neck towbar on my Octavia and never had a problem with the reverse sensors going off, also the Alko hitch fitted no problem either. If you want reversing light the battery charging and fridge working on the move then you'll have to get the split charging facility. Do the quotes you have include vehicle specific wiring, you'll need that for all the features that are available.

Ian

Can't help with sensors, did not take that option, however did get a dealer fit (ouch, ouch) towbar with 13pin socket and flange fitted with an Alko ball and at time of order towbar prep. At least when the going gets soft 4x4 does help getting off a muddy field when you get your caravan, a very good suggestion from the wife!

14166478980_bf269dc13f.jpg

You don't need a detachable towbar for the MkII Octavia.

There are lots of members on here with fixed bars and parking sensors with no issues.

I have a detachable and leave it attached all the time, no issues either.

DSC06098.jpg

IMG_12975.jpg

See this thread where the guy thought it was his towbar causing issues with the parking sensors, it wasn't...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/260779-reversing-sensors-towbar/

The parking sensors are quite high on the Octavia so tend not to interfere, this is a hatch but the parking sensor height is the same as on the estate...

NewOctavia8.JPG

Here is the fixed set-up on Yorkshire's estate (without sensors)...

IMG_2206.jpg?t=1331497699
IMG_2207.jpg?t=1331497521

Edited by silver1011