Anyone NOT happy with their Octy VRS?

Had mine for a month now, racked up about 1300 miles. First ever Skoda after years of BMW's, Audi's and VW's and overall I'm really pleased with it.

Because of my German car history I fully expected compromise and the gripes are few and far between. I have a VRS TDI with the DSG gearbox and the sport mode is ridiculous, holds revs way too high for a diesel where all the torque is lower down the range, back in normal mode is better for most driving.

The ride is on the hard side, reminds me of Audi's of old and I'm very glad I didn't opt for the 19" wheels as I imagine they are horrific. Skoda could do with benchmarking a 3 series m-sport for ride quality and sportiness, very good balance. Coming from rear wheel drive I've had to alter driving style, plant the throttle in the VRS in corners, including dry, and it does scrabble which is the narrow torque band coming into play.

Cruise control should be on the steering wheel, far more intuitive, too many other functions on the wheel that I won't use. The fuel tank is too small, keeps catching me out, as it did yesterday and had to fill up on motorway with high prices.

Those are a few gripes but the rest of the car is excellent and I have definitely made the right decision as value for money and the space, which is important for me with two young kids and we go camping, is a winner. Just need to get use to a few more things which then become second nature.

Thanks for that...its the same engine and box that i am getting. I went from a mk V Gti to my present car a S60 D3, which I love, but after three years I wanted a Waggon and fell for the vRS and because I drive Scouts at work I am sure I will be happy.

Only problem with the vRS is that its that good its becomming now rather common, certainly in the south. I see a few during a normal week commuting from south coast to Gatwick.

Even worse with the regular model. The car hire companies seem v keen on 1.6 TDi S, SE and Elegances they are literally everywhere!

I have seen one vRS Waggon...try this next time you are out...start counting minis ...its ridiculous !!!

Only popular Mk3 Octy's round me are Basic Hatches as private hire cars. However most of the Mk2 Vrs tdi's were bought up for same use when Mk3 was launched. My view is,if they use them, they must be reliable.

I have seen one vRS Waggon...try this next time you are out...start counting minis ...its ridiculous !!!

......or Audis.....even more ridiculous............there was a time when they were exclusive and cool...........not any more.......

Collected my vrs tdi today. So far very pleased. Gonna buy a black grille though. I like the power coming from a zetec s diesel focus although weird having a key in the ignition!

As a non vRS mk3 owner having come from a Mk2 vRS can say the Mk3 is a great car in many ways but is dishwater dull when youre used to driving around in something semi sporty.

I went 2.0 TDi Elegance primarily to spare my wife and kids the woes of overfirm VAG sports suspension again, also the 150 really isnt a great deal slower than the vRS TDi. But....whilst it drives v well and is confortable and well equipped it has absolutely no soul....driving it makes me feel about 10 years older than I am.

Im making it sound terrible...its not at all just I would advise anyone looking to trade to a regular Mk3 from a vRS to think twice about it.

Annoyingly am now in the position where I could tomorrow order a company Mk7 Golf GTD 5 door but ive done my nuts on the Mk3 in depreciationand dont think i can justify ridding of it for a good 9-12 months or so.

On the subject of motorbikes agree I love the things and wish id gone and done my licence and had a play years ago.....though I dont doubt if I had i'd no longer be here writing this post. Bikes with the performance offered nowadays (given that the best 600's are barely slower than 1000's from not too many years ago) just dont really have a place on UK roads particularly if you're an honest person who sticks within the confines of the speed limits....very few people do on sports bikes as its nigh on impossible to.

A good mate about a year ago bought a 2013 model year ZX10-R....optional akropovic exhaust its pushing not far shy of 210hp....on something weighing about 195kg!! It is obscenely fast and deadly weapon is not the word for it.....in the right circumstances imagine its a hoot but how can you make use of that performance and enjoy it on the road...its nigh on impossible in my eyes unless youre happy to break every legal limit all the time...and probably eventually kill yourself and others whilst doing so.

Pipsyp, I know you've already spent a lot but, never have I heard of someone more in need of a PedalBox, TuningBox & RARB !

I reckon it'd get you through this difficult 36 months and save you 3 or 4 grand to boot.

What issues have you had mate?

well......firstly had a mk2 exact same car estate / white  / xenons dsg .......bought new mint ....not one scratch anywhere ,,,,

didn't like dsg so decided to buy mk3 estate just same but manual,,,,

after a couple of months driving into work....we have a metal plate on rams which comes up pretty fast for security reasons ,,,,,he only pressed the up button on my way in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that was a £4000 bill

no2,,,,,,a few months later huge piece of wood comes of a van smashes into my windscreen and scratches it all plus the side windows plus roof rails and bonnet

no3 some arse in morrisons car park hits corner dents it all

no4 some other arse puts door dent in drivers door

no5 kids go down side of car on a bike and scratches it all down sides

and from then on not washed it or vacuumed it for about 4 months now just not interested in it its a black / brown / finger print permanent colour now ....

• Like 1

I went 2.0 TDi Elegance [...]. But....whilst it drives v well and is confortable and well equipped it has absolutely no soul....driving it makes me feel about 10 years older than I am.

Sorry can't resist:

Diesels are dull - you should have gone 1.4 TSI instead :)

well......firstly had a mk2 exact same car estate / white  / xenons dsg .......bought new mint ....not one scratch anywhere ,,,,

didn't like dsg so decided to buy mk3 estate just same but manual,,,,

after a couple of months driving into work....we have a metal plate on rams which comes up pretty fast for security reasons ,,,,,he only pressed the up button on my way in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that was a £4000 bill

no2,,,,,,a few months later huge piece of wood comes of a van smashes into my windscreen and scratches it all plus the side windows plus roof rails and bonnet

no3 some arse in morrisons car park hits corner dents it all

no4 some other arse puts door dent in drivers door

no5 kids go down side of car on a bike and scratches it all down sides

and from then on not washed it or vacuumed it for about 4 months now just not interested in it its a black / brown / finger print permanent colour now ....

Ah..well im in West yorkshire so i well keep an eye of for you.

Thanks for that...its the same engine and box that i am getting. I went from a mk V Gti to my present car a S60 D3, which I love, but after three years I wanted a Waggon and fell for the vRS and because I drive Scouts at work I am sure I will be happy.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, the engine and box work well together, just avoid the sport setting through the mode switch. The gearbox flick to sport is useful for overtaking but for 95% of driving the normal mode is spot on. I've set up the individual setting to everything in normal except steering which is in sport and slightly heavier which I prefer. Normal is very light.

The space is crazy, tardis like is an understatement, as big inside as a 5 series and with a bigger boot. Great all round packaging and kit combo.

Thats the bike I've got too. Got if after deciding my 1.7 litre 350kg Victory Vegas just wasn't suited for Somerset roads :-)  While the Triumph is only 675cc it weighs nothing so is a lot of fun to ride. Been riding for over 25 years so aware of the risks but as I'm old now (48) I don't ride like a nutter anymore. 

Getting my petrol vRS in December (hopefully) Not expecting to not like it. Only thing I'm expecting is more fun and higher fuel bills!!

Another +1 for the VRS - Had mine a few weeks now and it ticks all the boxes for me and even the wife and kids like and don't get sick in it! (Bonus!) plus the dog now has a far bigger boot to lounge out in 

On the topic of bikes I've got a Triumph Street Triple R which is a fab bike and yes we know the statistics about them but hey, no point in going through life without having a little fun otherwise before you know it it'll be too late! (mid-life crisis....what mid-life crisis)  :notme:

• Like 1

Early days but not happy with the monkey from Skoda who spanked my motor before I took delivery, of course they are in full denial........

How do you know that happened?

Sorry can't resist:

Diesels are dull - you should have gone 1.4 TSI instead :)

Didnt stack up financially, was going to end up paying more a month for a cheaper car....also I do quite a few miles so with the better MPG of the diesel made more sense.

Ive had a Fabia vRS estate in the past anyway so familiar enough with 1.4 TSI's, almost consistent 32mpg average wasnt particularly impressive....i cant imagine the 140 is particularly forgiving of a heavier right foot :-)

I think a 140 or 150 bhp petrol with faux vrs styling would be a big seller, are skoda missing a trick by not offering it? Or are they not allowed to so that people buy seat leons...

Thats the bike I've got too. Got if after deciding my 1.7 litre 350kg Victory Vegas just wasn't suited for Somerset roads :-) While the Triumph is only 675cc it weighs nothing so is a lot of fun to ride. Been riding for over 25 years so aware of the risks but as I'm old now (48) I don't ride like a nutter anymore.

Getting my petrol vRS in December (hopefully) Not expecting to not like it. Only thing I'm expecting is more fun and higher fuel bills!!

Seems there are a few bikers on here. I've also got a triumph street triple r.... Epic fun!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Didnt stack up financially, was going to end up paying more a month for a cheaper car....also I do quite a few miles so with the better MPG of the diesel made more sense.

Ive had a Fabia vRS estate in the past anyway so familiar enough with 1.4 TSI's, almost consistent 32mpg average wasnt particularly impressive....i cant imagine the 140 is particularly forgiving of a heavier right foot :-)

I also got about 30-35mpg from my old Golf V 1.4 TSI, but the newer generation of 1.4TSI are much more economical. What mileage do you get from the 150 TDI?

In Denmark the depreciation for diesel and petrol is about the same percentage, but the TDI is slightly more expensive to purchase. The yearly road tax for the 1.4 TSI DSG is £60 but £375 for the 2.0 TDI DSG. You have to do some serious miles in order for the 2.0 TDI to be cheaper overall in Denmark.

Not particularly light footed but it tends to get late 40mpg up to late 50 mpg depending how driven, distance, use of AC etc. Its also not yet done that many miles (12k miles) so is just freeing up really.

The 2.0 TDi manual is £20/year to tax in UK so v cheap (1.4 TSi is £30 so hardly any different) but I reckon the 1.4 TSI wouldnt fair so well MPG wise driven as the 2.0 TDi is, be surprised if it did anyway.

Also i find that there are holes in small turbo petrol engine power delivery, theyve improved but for example you really load up a 1.2/1.4 TSi they do tend to show their small capacity shortcomings; diesel suffers less and MPG doesnt suffer too badly when loaded either

Edited by pipsyp

I am happy with mine, as its a 'compromise' car isn't it after all?

If I wanted top end leather, posh plastics, 19" wheels, LED reg light etc I would of bought a BMW, Audi etc and would of paid £10K or more for it.

If I wanted a hot hatch I would of bought a Golf GTI/R or whatever else is out there in the hot hatch sector.

I wanted a car that had plenty of room for the family, room to stick the luggage in for a weeks holiday, a car I can to to the tip in on a Sunday morning and not have to worry about doing 3 trips, I wanted a car that returns a reasonable MPG but not one that is so 'eco' that it could hardly move itself or needs plugging in after 20 miles, I also wanted a car that I felt was quite modern inside to drive, had a good engine and gearbox, a car that I was comfortable in, a car that when I put it in S and put my foot down it will give a nice turn of speed etc etc, it is a good car that does a bit of everything, for that I can't fault it, so it does what it says on the tin.  As a 'sporty car' it definitely lacks, as a relaxed comfy arm chair cruiser it lacks, as a 7 seat people carrier it obviously lacks.

You have to look at it for what it is, it is a budget model in the VAG group of companies, it has some niggles and cheap bits about it, but thats what you get when you are buying a Skoda, thats what we all bought in to, simple as that.

Do O like my car, yes I do, am I pleased with it, yes I am, would I change it? No, not at the moment as it does everything I want it to do as a bloke with a wife and kids, would I have this car if I was single and wanted more power etc then no I wouldn't.

But, its very good at what to does and the market its aimed at in my view, so no I can't complain about, however, I do accept everyones comments about it and can't really argue with any of them as a car is so many different things to people, but for me, it works and it works very well.

Has it had any problems, only the stalling when in Eco mode when I first got it, but that was easily rectified, it does have a niggle with the cruise control where it occasionally stops working for no apparent reason, but I will get it booked in and looked at, other than that it has been fine.

Thats my views anyway.

• Like 3

I am happy with mine, as its a 'compromise' car isn't it after all?

If I wanted top end leather, posh plastics, 19" wheels, LED reg light etc I would of bought a BMW, Audi etc and would of paid £10K or more for it.

If I wanted a hot hatch I would of bought a Golf GTI/R or whatever else is out there in the hot hatch sector.

I wanted a car that had plenty of room for the family, room to stick the luggage in for a weeks holiday, a car I can to to the tip in on a Sunday morning and not have to worry about doing 3 trips, I wanted a car that returns a reasonable MPG but not one that is so 'eco' that it could hardly move itself or needs plugging in after 20 miles, I also wanted a car that I felt was quite modern inside to drive, had a good engine and gearbox, a car that I was comfortable in, a car that when I put it in S and put my foot down it will give a nice turn of speed etc etc, it is a good car that does a bit of everything, for that I can't fault it, so it does what it says on the tin.  As a 'sporty car' it definitely lacks, as a relaxed comfy arm chair cruiser it lacks, as a 7 seat people carrier it obviously lacks.

You have to look at it for what it is, it is a budget model in the VAG group of companies, it has some niggles and cheap bits about it, but thats what you get when you are buying a Skoda, thats what we all bought in to, simple as that.

Do O like my car, yes I do, am I pleased with it, yes I am, would I change it? No, not at the moment as it does everything I want it to do as a bloke with a wife and kids, would I have this car if I was single and wanted more power etc then no I wouldn't.

But, its very good at what to does and the market its aimed at in my view, so no I can't complain about, however, I do accept everyones comments about it and can't really argue with any of them as a car is so many different things to people, but for me, it works and it works very well.

Has it had any problems, only the stalling when in Eco mode when I first got it, but that was easily rectified, it does have a niggle with the cruise control where it occasionally stops working for no apparent reason, but I will get it booked in and looked at, other than that it has been fine.

Thats my views anyway.

Completely agree with all of this, spot on!

• Like 2

Completely agree with all of this, spot on!

Thats what I want out of a car. So even before I have picked mine up I am pretty certain I will be happy with it. James you have described to me a "Goldie Locks " car.....just right.

• Like 2

Thats what I want out of a car. So even before I have picked mine up I am pretty certain I will be happy with it. James you have described to me a "Goldie Locks " car.....just right.

And seeing what you have on order from your profile thing next to your post, I am sure you will enjoy it, I have a similar spec but Candy White and an Estate, its a very good car, you will enjoy it I am sure :-)

And seeing what you have on order from your profile thing next to your post, I am sure you will enjoy it, I have a similar spec but Candy White and an Estate, its a very good car, you will enjoy it I am sure :-)

Cheers James. I am sure I will, I just have to get it delivered. Last week it was at Grimsby, yesterday its at port of exit.