Bluetooth options without maxidot

And mic is probably best going up passenger A pillar and across the headlining to the roof light.  Just be careful if you have an airbag there and whatever you do don't cable tie the mic lead to it if you do (I have read a post where that was done!!).

Thanks Adam. I am going to remove the glovebox first. If I am comfortable to install behind there then I will and run the mic up the pillar to the light housing. Luckily I don't have an airbag in there! If I'm not comfortable installing behind the glovebox, I have lost nothing because I will revert to plan a and install under the passenger seat where I would have needed to remove the glovebox anyway!

• Like 2

Thanks Adam, I was a bit impatient and fitted the module behind the glovebox, plugged it all in and have paired my phone and it's all working fine although I have not yet routed the mic up the pillar yet.

f8ec1207c9424724d202c830136216c4.jpg

I can dial from the dial pad but not the phone book, I just get the below error message when I try.

3e29b448fe100c3c7c4e8b88975b2a14.jpg

Will coding enable dialing from the phone book?

The CAN Gateway will need coding to tell it that there is now a 'Telephone' module fitted. This is a simple tick in the 'Installation list' and won't make any difference to functionality but will make a 'Module incorrectly coded' fault (and a number of others) go away permanently.

Going into the telephone module with VCDS will probably show several options that 'might' be available, but rarely work, e.g. address book sorting by first name (as opposed to last name).

There are a few other things that can be changed e.g. pairing code, ring tone, bong on BT connection on/off, etc. but these are quite minor.

I coded one to a Polo last weekend and had it done in a few minutes and made all the error codes (and there were many) go away.

I reckon the dial up issue probably will be solved by coding as this is head unit talking to the phone via the bt module (ie I suspect via CAN). Dialling from keypad is probably less involved.

Thanks again Karl and Adam.

I will be routing the mic tomorrow afternoon and then will be looking to code as soon as possible.

I really need my own version of VCDS!

Before you tuck all the wires away, test that the mic works (that you can make a call and they can hear you) as there should be two routing options selected via the plugs in the cables.

Once you've worked out which it is, join the other two together to avoid further fault codes being stored.

• Like 1

Before you tuck all the wires away, test that the mic works (that you can make a call and they can hear you) as there should be two routing options selected via the plugs in the cables.

Once you've worked out which it is, join the other two together to avoid further fault codes being stored.

Thanks Karl, sound advice here! When I initially fitted and tested yesterday, the mic did not work. A quick Google search revealed two different wiring loom configurations, one for the Bolero and the other for the Columbus. It was originally fitted to an RNS510 in a VW Tiguan so a quick swap over and all sorted!

I have also routed the mic which was a lot quicker than I expected, the only difficult part was removing the sun visor, just needs a little brute force on the left hand side once the screw was removed.

Tested and all working fine with the exception of the phone book as mentioned above, just hoping that coding will rectify.

Karl, sorry, once again you have a PM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some good info here. I'm interested in adding Bluetooth to my Bolero so this may be the solution I'll look at. Can you stream music using this method or is it purely phone calls only?

I have retrofitted a 7p6 035 730 k module with loom and mic to my car which is fitted with a bolero.

I can stream music from my phone but rarely do so as most of music is already on my SD card.

Its a great bit of kit but I haven't yet worked out how to download my phone book!

• Like 1

Karl, you know me better than any other member on here and know my desire to get back in to a dsg. I have made the awkward decision to sell my beautiful vrs and buy a dsg. I have therefore removed the Bluetooth kit and will either fit it to my new car or sell it if my new car already has Bluetooth. As most dsg's have bluetooth, I had considered fitting it to my wife's VW Polo but I would have to upgrade her media unit to an RCD 510 which is even more money and arrange even more coding.

Very sorry to have messed you about last Sunday.