Which type of Roomster to buy? Advice requested.

Hi, 

After many years of not having a car my girlfriend and I are finally thinking of buying one. We've pretty much decided that a Roomster suits our needs and budget. The next question is what kind of Roomster to look at buying! I do need to disclose that we haven't actually got round to test driving anything yet - the budget is in the process of becoming a reality over the next few months so we're mainly doing an extreme form of window shopping! Of course a test drive will probably make things a lot clear but its probably going to have to wait until after Christmas for various reasons - mainly as we're both a bit busy and a car is a "would like to have" rather than a "must have" at the moment. 

The plan is to get a car that will last (hopefully) for 10 years or so and then we will reassess what our needs are. There's a chance we might be looking at moving overseas at that point. 

Once we get a car the usage will probably be some local trips around town, although we plan to do as much as possible by bike, and longer trip for holidays like camping. If things work out we'll be living in York so medium distance trip to North Wales, Northumberland and anywhere else that takes our fancy will occur. Probably longer distance trips to Edinburgh and Cornwall occasionally too. We've both got bikes so they'd probably want to come with us. Over time sprogs will probably occur so having enough space/luggage capacity to carry all there stuff is important. Also several house moves are likely to happen in the next couple of years - the joys of moving city and rented accommodation been the cause - so been able to carry household stuff is a must.  

The budget is £10K - although less would be nice as it offsets the cost of insurance. Insurance itself is going to be expensive as a first time driver but I don't think the insurance class matters overly much. We're looking at buying second hand rather than new. 

So having given you guys an idea of what we want and can spend be onto the questions!

1) Is a Roomster a good choice for what we want to do with it? I think we've done fairly through research but its always nice to ask people who own them. 

2) What version of the Roomster would you recommend getting? We're looking at Diesels, mainly for the fuel economy. The main three we like are listed below:-

a) Greenline 1.2 - Pros Fuel economy, high basic specification. Cons - only 75 bhp, might struggle on motorways when loaded.

b ) SE 1.6 - 105 bhp version. Pros - Lots of power for lugging stuff around. Cons - not as efficient as the Greenline. 

c) SE Plus 1.6 (105 version) Pros - as above. Cons - more costly to buy, not as efficient as the Greenline. 

Any thoughts/comments welcomed! Feel free to suggest other versions as well, we've got plenty of time to think about things. 

3) Is there a list where I can compare safety features (ABS, ESP etc) side by side on different version types/ages? 

Thanks in advance. 

Michael 

Edited by MichaelPosp

Roomster Scout. Better seats, and body protection for those off the beaten tracks.

Personally I'd go for the 1.6 TDi version. 1.2 can be a bit labouring uphill with a load.

If you plan on keeping it for ~ 10 years it'll be more worthwhile costwise in the long run I would have thought.

• Like 1

Hi Michael and welcome to Briskoda.

Mine's a Scout and I agree with Lee, the interior is a much nicer place to be than S/SE/Greenline etc.  And I wouldn't want a Roomster without a panoramic roof or roof rails.  Roof rails give the car a "finished" look and are essential if you intend to fit a roof rack or roof bars.  **Roof rails can be retro-fitted, but it involves the removal of headlining to access the mounting bolts.

The Scout's rugged-looking bumpers are essentially the same item fitted to other models, but painted black instead of body-coloured.  The Scout also has wide, low profile tyres that give a firm, noisy ride compared with other models.  I realise the wheels & tyres could be changed for SE wheels & tyres, but only at extra expense and with implications for insurance.

I've had mine five years, I love it and consider it the best car I have ever owned.  But with hindsight, I would have chosen an SE.

**07/07/2015 Edit - This information was taken from another post and repeated here in good faith.  In March 2015, my dealer retro-fitted roof rails to my newly-purchased 2013 Roomster SE, leaving the fitting instructions in the car.  The instructions are written in pidgin English but give the impression the threaded mounting brackets are already in place on the car, with no requirement to remove the headlining.

• Like 1

I note you say the budget is 10K.

you can get a NEW Rooster 1.2TSI petrol.  9995K.  That is so cheap.  I got mine a year ago on same deal.  All benefits having a new car, but likewise this will hit second hand values.

The tsi engine is a cracker.  The 85hp has loads torque and I have never felt it lacks 'puff'   took 4 adults to Brum in a 250 mile round trip last week end.  Cruised above legal speed limit with out issue.

I would be careful on the diesel due to well documented DPF issues unless lots motorway.

Get one for a test ride.  the engine can be found across the range 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information about the DPF - I didn't know that there was a problem with it. 

I'll have a look at the petrol versions. 

Definitely mean to have a test drive - just know that if I do I'll want to buy a car straight away! Unfortunately the sensible thing is to save bit more. 

• Like 1

Absolutely, Rob. But needs to be right spec in the right colour. Red ;)

There is only one colour for a Roomster Scout.  Anthracite.  Agreed, Jonny5ive?  :D

Thanks for the information about the DPF - I didn't know that there was a problem with it. 

I'll have a look at the petrol versions. 

Definitely mean to have a test drive - just know that if I do I'll want to buy a car straight away! Unfortunately the sensible thing is to save bit more. 

There isn't a "problem" as such with the DPF.  But DPFs can give problems if the car's use is predominantly urban.  DPFs need longer runs at reasonable speed in order to regenerate.  I prefer diesels and have owned them exclusively for almost 20 years, despite low annual mileage.  But the 1.2TSI 105bhp is so good it will be the engine of choice in my next Roomster.

I agree with the DPF issue (non issue). GF's had her Yeti for over a year and no problems; done a few 'regens' and it's hardly a problem IMO. One thing I do is ignore when the Maxidot tells me to change up and drive it as I would a PD.

I have an older one, a '3', and it's just about perfect for me - roofbars and that great big glass roof just finish it off for me  :)   Any new one would have to have the glass roof at the very least...

• Like 1

Hello Michael, welcome to Briskoda!

If buying used (and bearing in mind the hilly northern topography) my vote would be for the 1.9PD (Pumpe Duse, or Unit Injector) diesel, quite a grunty unit at lower revs, great for cruising, and no DPF to consider (not sure if later/any 1.9's had DPF???) Great economy potential, definitely get one with roof rails for reason previously stated, mine is steel roof (haven't tried one with panoramic glass roof), have had mine just over a year, relaced all 4 tyres with quieter and easier-rolling Goodyear Efficient Grip, fitted better-output headlight bulbs, and recently had it re-mapped for better economy (worth considering as a long-term-ownership investment).

Btw, according to Darkside who did the remap, these 105bhp engines frequently do considerably better than quoted; mine at c65k miles was giving 117bhp pre-remap!!!

Stick to standard paper-element air cleaner, but use best possible oil and a fuel additive (Millers from Brighouse get my vote, have used their products almost since getting my first diesel in 1987).

For its first 6 months in my hands I used it back-seats-out as a van, all it lacked was a bulkhead. Very versatile, though the folded seats are c 20kg each

Plenty decent used ones on Autotrader, get registered then you can specify more search criteria that should help you find what you want easier/nearer/in the colour of your choice/ engine of your choice, £5k should get you a nice one, and any more questions, just ask away, we're always happy to help!

Happy Roomstering!

Richard

• Like 2

If buying used (and bearing in mind the hilly northern topography) my vote would be for the 1.9PD (Pumpe Duse, or Unit Injector) diesel, quite a grunty unit at lower revs, great for cruising, and no DPF to consider (not sure if later/any 1.9's had DPF???) Great economy potential.

I have never regretted specifying the 1.9TDI PD in mine.  It's a well-sorted, reliable and economical engine.  As said above, it is a grunty (if slightly unrefined) engine with no DPF to consider.  

Pre-facelift Roomsters (for the British market at least) do not have DPFs, whether 1.4TDI or 1.9TDI.

Facelift Roomsters (2010 on) have 1.2TDI and 1.6TDI CR engines, which have DPFs.

OP should be able to get a really nice 1.9TDI for well under his budget of 10k.

Edit: Facelift 1.2TDI engines - see post #39.  Apologies, I stand corrected.

• Like 1

I have never regretted specifying the 1.9TDI PD in mine.  It's a well-sorted, reliable and economical engine.  As said above, it is a grunty (if slightly unrefined) engine with no DPF to consider.  Pre-facelift Roomsters (for the British market at least) do not have DPFs, whether 1.4TDI or 1.9TDI.

OP should be able to get a really nice 1.9TDI for well under his budget of 10k.

there was a lovely black one on Autotrader a few weeks ago I would have snapped up but funds weren't in place. Hopefully this new job should see me in one in a few months ;)

• Like 1

Is black the new red?  :D

Been following your job thread in Roadside.  Wish you good luck and every success.

Well, it'll be either black or red but red's my first choice ;)

Many thanks for that too, going well but early days yet :D

• Like 1

I initially wanted a red one but then I saw the one I ended up buying and it's an olive green/grey colour and I just loved it! Looks really quite classy and it's the only one I've actually seen in this colour too....

Doesn't need washing too often either...

:D

Edited by kenty
  • Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for all the information. Thank you for all been patience too! So far in my life cars have been something other people have had and I've borrowed or been driven around in!  

I've done some reading on DPF and now know something about them - just need to make the cleaning system gets a chance to do its stuff. 

Next question - how would I tell if a 1.9 DP has a DPF or not? 

Also is it better to look for a bigger engine size or a smaller engine with a higher BHP?

I presume remapping is altering the engine ECU - does anyone have a link that explains what the advantages and disadvantages are? I also presume that it invalidates any warranty? (Just in case I decide to get one with a warranty still on it).

Cheers Michael 

Edited by MichaelPosp
  • Like 1

AFAIK, there are no Roomsters in 1.9TDi flavour with a DPF so you should be OK there. I think Skoda only did the Octavia in a PD with DPF.

Advantages of a remap. More Power, more torque and better fuel consumption. I have't really heard of any disadvantages other than bad remaps done by back street garages done by people who don't know what they're doing so find a reputable remapper and you should be fine.

Yes, it may invalidate your warranty if it was found that your car was remapped. Also, always inform your insurer if such work is done.

• Like 1