Me again! And a couple of wee issues...

Evening chaps,

I've not been on for quite a while due to several reasons one of which was falling out of love with my vRS.

Some of you may remember I had bother with the first car and paint issues with the replacement - mostly with the crap paint wiping off the roof bar supports.

Anyway.... A few months ago I noticed some paint had flaked off the top edge on the affected roof bar bolt cover piece and it just looked tatty but because of where it is I haven't found anyone willing to try and touch me t in so just got fed up and the car was left unwashed for a good couple of months!

Andway, skip forward a few weeks and I noticed first with difficult to get, especially after reversing and on occasion it seemed as though it was stuck in reverse as I thought I'd put in 1st but the car still went backwards! And I've even managed to get reverse sitting at traffic lights. Thankfully it wasn't. Full throttle start!

Last week I also got sticking buttons on the steering wheel so enough was enough. In the dealers today and I'm pleased to say I have another new car - for a few days while the gearbox is removed as "something isn't right", and yes that's the dealers words!

Must just be my luck or has anyone else had bother with their gearboxes?

Neil, never harmed anything bigger than a spider. But to be fair the flipping huge around here!

fiisch - nope. Not that I'm aware off. I've had the car (or cars) for a year and I only noticed it a few months ago. And it's not all the time. The reverse thing happened once but the gearbox is regularly notchy going into 1st.

• Like 1

Touch wood, no issues like this on the Octy, but a long time ago this happened to me driving my old man's car. The first time I thought I'd done something daft (like inadvertently put it in reverse) but by the third occasion I knew it wasn't me. It wasn't every time, but enough to make me stop using first for a while. When it was eventually fixed I don't think the garage actually knew what they'd done to fix it - they disassembled some stuff, saw nothing wrong and after they reassembled everything it didn't happen again! 

Blimey you certainly have had a rough ride!

Keep us informed and hope you get it sorted.

Did you get the roof bar supports thing resolved? Could you have them wrapped?

So apparently getting a new clutch/release bearings/flywheel (or maybe just new flywheel bearings?)

Just hope the clutch comes back as it was. Bloody courtesy car clutch is too light and the bite point is about an inch from the top. I want my vRS back!! Really not liking the beast they've loaned me.

Andway, skip forward a few weeks and I noticed first with difficult to get, especially after reversing and on occasion it seemed as though it was stuck in reverse as I thought I'd put in 1st but the car still went backwards! And I've even managed to get reverse sitting at traffic lights. Thankfully it wasn't. Full throttle start!

Not difficulty getting first but sometimes my 6sp manual struggles to get into reverse. It'll just keep hitting a notch or barrier and won't engage. I have to return to the centre, clutch up, clutch down and do it all again.

Might be just me - I did have to have a replacement gearbox on a Mk5 Golf once @ only 32k miles!

Coops - that's what mine is/was like going for first. Didn't always engage reverse properly. Thought it was it but didn't go anywhere.

Cables and associated bits are all ok seemingly.

Mike...I have my Octy III vRS on order but, this was exactly what I noticed on the demo vehicle I had.  I've never had an issue with my current MKII vRS and going from reverse to first has always been trouble free but, I found after reversing, I'd move the gear stick back to a neutral position and then push it forward to select what I thought was first gear to find myself abruptly reversing once again.  My other half said it was just me but we all know that they know nothing ;)

Just hope this is an isolated problem to my demo, yours and a limited number of Octy's, hopefully you get yours sorted mate.

Got to say, I think my car may also be affected with this, its an April 2013 build, 150CR manual. I occasionally accidentally select reverse at lights when trying to get 1st, but do tend to sit with my hand on the gear lever so assumed I was just pushing down slightly, and not noticing the selector had moved over until the reverse sensor beeps, but I have also had several instances when maneuvering and after reversing, then selecting 1st to move off, suddenly realise I'm still in reverse! I'll be interested to hear if your repairs make a difference or if this turns out to be "just a characteristic of the car"!

Got to say, I think my car may also be affected with this, its an April 2013 build, 150CR manual. I occasionally accidentally select reverse at lights when trying to get 1st, but do tend to sit with my hand on the gear lever so assumed I was just pushing down slightly, and not noticing the selector had moved over until the reverse sensor beeps, but I have also had several instances when maneuvering and after reversing, then selecting 1st to move off, suddenly realise I'm still in reverse! I'll be interested to hear if your repairs make a difference or if this turns out to be "just a characteristic of the car"!

Well hopefully the car will be being delivered back to my house while I'm at work tomorrow assuming it gets fixed.

The dealer seemed pretty confident that they had discover d what was wrong. To be honest I have no idea what part a dual mass fly wheel plays in changes gears!

• Like 1

Sorry- can't edit. Meant to say I'd take your car the a dealer asap Matt. If you need details of my fatso they can look up the repair/warranty history with SUK let me know.

(As an aside I always find it funny the Skoda UK is shortened to SU©K!)

• Like 1

Well hopefully the car will be being delivered back to my house while I'm at work tomorrow assuming it gets fixed.

The dealer seemed pretty confident that they had discover d what was wrong. To be honest I have no idea what part a dual mass fly wheel plays in changes gears!

Please let us know how you get on, I'd be interested to hear if your issue is cured before I approach my dealer with my concerns.  How regular was your fault?  Mine only does this very occasionally, probably happened less than 10 times since I took delivery over 17 months ago and probably only once in the last 6 months so I'm wondering if mine has improved with use or if I am just more aware and hence more careful when selecting 1st after a reverse manoeuvre!?

Well my car will be sitting waiting for me when I get home so fingers crossed

Reverse to first issue wasn't very often. It was more notchy getting first and sometimes reverse that was frequent.

• Like 1

Bit worrying that a dmf has failed so early, hope it is just a one off (you have been very unlucky though, was it you that had a car rejected for paint defects?).  Think a few people are finding gear changes notchy when the car is cold.... Hope this doesn't turn out to be a widespread problem.  I presume the dmf is common on a lot of vag cars. BTW ,is your car TDI or tsi? I suspect the dmf would be different between the 2.