Must Have Options

I think the panoramic roof (especially on the estate) is necessary as it lifts the somewhat dark interior (in Aus black is the only interior). I skipped ACC, Drive Mode, most driver aids because here they are only part of an expensive package and, with a manual gearbox, don't work as well.

I also say skip DSG and use the cash for a sunroof and Canton.

• Like 1

Honestly I agree that black interior was a point of weakness of the vRS, to me, but a lot of suspended weight for glass (and its cost) was not attractive.

On the other side I can vouch for the Canton. Already after a few of hours it starts sounding pretty fine, even better than I expected.

Amundsen is avoidable, spare wheel is a must. Drive mode is working fine with my 6MT (always set on Sport, of course).

How often do you have a flat in the UK??

I'm not in the habit of having accidents, but I'm happy my car is loaded down with airbags. I do however make frequent airport runs, so if I get a puncture or crack an alloy on one of our many potholes, I want to be able to get going again quickly. I also drive a small child around so waiting for assistance is not something I want to do.

I didn't go for the spare as I've only had one flat tyre in 12years of driving cars and motorbikes. And because I kept the spare monte carlo alloy from my Passat when I traded it in. Was a bit disappointed to find no jack in the boot though

Edit: I was wrong I also had a second flat in the Passat when I hit a rock but that was my own stupid fault ripping down a dirt track at the in-laws airfield and not avoiding it, made a mess of the bottom of the car too

Edited by V6Jules

Honestly I agree that black interior was a point of weakness of the vRS, to me, but a lot of suspended weight for glass (and its cost) was not attractive.

On the other side I can vouch for the Canton. Already after a few of hours it starts sounding pretty fine, even better than I expected.

Amundsen is avoidable, spare wheel is a must. Drive mode is working fine with my 6MT (always set on Sport, of course).

I'm not sure what the sunroof costs in the UK, but for the bright interior, and the amount of fun the kids have looking up, I thought it worth it. I didn't get a vRS and will never track the car so suspended weight is really no big deal.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the sunroof costs in the UK, but for the bright interior, and the amount of fun the kids have looking up, I thought it worth it. I didn't get a vRS and will never track the car so suspended weight is really no big deal.

Pretty much the same as me. Loaded the car with options (non vrs) so it's an enjoyable travel companion. Kids are getting older, and more capable of car travel, so want to do some driving holidays and let them see the country. My parents did that for me and I loved it. My son is nearly as excited as me to get 'the white car with a window in the roof'

I think I was a salesman's dream when it came to options.  I ordered an Elegance Combi back in October and went with:

• DSG
  • Black leather
  • Xenons
  • LED tail lights
  • Winter pack (because I used to have a heated screen and hated the last car for not having one)
  • Electric boot lid
  • Adaptive cruise
  • Front/rear parking sensors
  • Kessy
  • Sunset glass
  • Canton sound
  • Columbus Nav

I spend most of my working day in the car, so figured it had to be something that fits my needs and is a nice place to be.  Only thing I think I'll miss from the Kia is the heated steering wheel - for those of us who suffer from Raynaud's it's really handy. 

Options, like cars themselves, are a truly personal thing.  What may be a deal breaker to one person can be insignificant to another.  Only you can decide what your must have options are, as only you knows what you must have  ;)

I spend most of my working day in the car, so figured it had to be something that fits my needs and is a nice place to be.

Very true, I only spend just over an hour a day in my car commuting but the bulk of my options were to make the entertainment system better, I couldn't quite stretch my money enough to get the leather seats though which I would have liked

• Like 1

Options, like cars themselves, are a truly personal thing. What may be a deal breaker to one person can be insignificant to another. Only you can decide what your must have options are, as only you knows what you must have ;)

Very true. I went for a factory build as I couldn't find a 2nd hand mk3 with the options I wanted as it is too new. I intend to keep mine for many years so got what I wanted not what I could 'live with'. If I was changing cars every few years the options would mean much less to me and residual value would mean more so would take a discounted pre-order instead, knowing I won't have it long if I was missing something.

+1 on the spare wheel, that is a must have really. It's not like you're struggling for boot space :)

• Like 1

Very true. I went for a factory build as I couldn't find a 2nd hand mk3 with the options I wanted as it is too new. 

Yep, when I told the dealer what I wanted and looked at second hand stock the phrase "rocking horse manure" may have been used :)

I didn't bother with the spare wheel.  I ride a motorcycle too and we don't have them on those. I've actually had a puncture in no less than 5 rear tyres on the bike, but have always managed with the plug kit. After the first time I realised that 2 of those gas canisters couldn't fill a balloon, let alone a tyre, so started carrying a few more spares with me.

I've only had punctures in the car twice.  Both times I got them in 2 tyres simultaneously so a spare wouldn't have helped.

I apologise in advance as I am sure this will have been asked before.

I have seen a video review of the vRS Estate and when he removed the load cover there was what looked like a tube attached to the rear seats. from this he pulled out what looked like a net dog guard. It was a German review and so I was wondering if this was available in the UK and if any of you good peeps knows what it is called?

Thanks in advance.

Very true. I went for a factory build as I couldn't find a 2nd hand mk3 with the options I wanted as it is too new. I intend to keep mine for many years so got what I wanted not what I could 'live with'. If I was changing cars every few years the options would mean much less to me and residual value would mean more so would take a discounted pre-order instead, knowing I won't have it long if I was missing something.

+1 on the spare wheel, that is a must have really. It's not like you're struggling for boot space :)

Yep to all of that!

By definition members of this forum are more interested than most in their cars, so options are a big personal choice. One of the things that I like about Briskoda is that there are no keyboard warriors just looking to snipe.

My S60, which I love, was a ghost order and had nothing but heated seats as extras and I have always wished I had specced it a bit more. My baby that I will hopefully get this week has what I wanted even though it was another ghost.

I apologise in advance as I am sure this will have been asked before.

I have seen a video review of the vRS Estate and when he removed the load cover there was what looked like a tube attached to the rear seats. from this he pulled out what looked like a net dog guard. It was a German review and so I was wondering if this was available in the UK and if any of you good peeps knows what it is called?

Thanks in advance.

It's a built in dog guard I think.

I don't think it is available in the UK, just a dealer fit fixed one. I have something similar on my A6 avant, but I've taken it off as it restricts folding down one half of the seats (may be different in the octy, but if it is fixed to the seats I doubt it.)

It's a built in dog guard I think.

I don't think it is available in the UK, just a dealer fit fixed one. I have something similar on my A6 avant, but I've taken it off as it restricts folding down one half of the seats (may be different in the octy, but if it is fixed to the seats I doubt it.)

Cheers. Thats a shame as it would have been Ideal for me and my Springer. I shall have a look on eBay.

I've only had punctures in the car twice. Both times I got them in 2 tyres simultaneously so a spare wouldn't have helped.

Was that a police stinger? ;)

Canisters of gunk would have been no use either unless you'd got about 20 of them :D

We are a one car family and have young kids so it's just an insurance to me. Would rather fit a spare I've checked than hope a cannister or 3 worked. I appreciate being on a bike is different.

Cheers. Thats a shame as it would have been Ideal for me and my Springer. I shall have a look on eBay.

Great for dogs. Previous owner of my motor had two yappy things. Didn't stop them from gnawing the handbrake lever at some point though! :D

Edited by philwoodphoto

Great for dogs. Previous owner of my motor had two yappy things. Didn't stop them from gnawing the handbrake lever at some point though! :D

Yeah, my springer would just sit there, my Wife's Bassett Hound would eat the whole car if she could be arsed.

Canisters of gunk would have been no use either unless you'd got about 20 of them :D

We are a one car family and have young kids so it's just an insurance to me. Would rather fit a spare I've checked than hope a cannister or 3 worked. I appreciate being on a bike is different.

The tire kit also includes an electrical pump, so one cannister should do the work.

I have had one puncture over approximately 300.000km, and the one time was on a track  :notme: -- I used the kit and cheated a bit by using the track garage tire pump and back was on the track in 15 minutes. It may actually be faster than changing to the spare wheel... (under the assumption you can actually get the wheel off).

The next day I had the tire fixed at the local tire shop. 

Sod's law I got a puncture on the way home from work on Friday.  New one for me... a sodding bicycle brake block.  The threaded bit went straight through the tread :(

Luckily I was only 200 yds from home so I stuck a winter wheel on to get it to the tyre shop.  At least I didn't have to use the spacesaver I suppose, but glad I have it.

Close enough - B&Q car park :-)

I don't use the gunk canisters - I carry a plug kit.  One the bike it's accompanied by a few CO2 canisters for inflation but in the car I carry an electric pump.

Spare tyre for me. I do a lot of driving on country roads, and the local councils are shocking at repairing potholes. The problem is, sometimes what looks like a shallow puddle on the road is concealing a bloody great hole; three of my last five punctures have come courtesy of those, ripping big gashes in the sidewalls that no tins of gunk or plug kits can help with.