Tripping Electricity

shrops_paul

We asked him to fit a bigger unit so we could split some of the circuits.

Now that isnt what you said in your initial post.

However fitting separate circuits for different areas of the house IS a good idea; that is why I fitted a 16 way M.K. "Sentry" CU when I rewired my house 14 years ago.

It still has a few free slots, as I keep meaning to get around to fitting dedicated HiFi and PC power circuits.

Another issue could be the RCD main switch is actually tripping at a milli-amp rating than stated on the actual rating of the RCD. A friend had a issue with his consumer unit and things was tripping at random. I carried out a Ramp test and over several tests the rcd was tripping at 17 milli-amps rather than around 30 milli-amps. With most things off , we went around switching various items and eventually it tripped. So wiring was ok, but as the leakage increases with items in use, the rcd tripped. Changed the rcd to a new one and carried out the ramp test and was tripping about 28 milli-amps . He hasn't had any issues since then.

Another test is a earth leakage test, as it could also be a circuit with a pre existing high leakage and that can lead to false faults, as people think it's a kettle etc at fault, as it trips the rcd when it's used, where the fault is in the wiring, rather than the appliance

Proteus isn't a manufacturer we won't use, we use MK, Wylex, Hager, Schneider and don't get any issues with them. Tend to get issues with the cheaper brands.

As others have said, best to get a spark in to give it a once over. Have you had any periodic inspection carried out?

FYI.

I had an issue where every so often the sockets tripped, sometimes the whole house would go.

Turned out the main live into consumer board was a like half a turn loose. 

Worth you checking maybe ?

Now that isnt what you said in your initial post.

However fitting separate circuits for different areas of the house IS a good idea; that is why I fitted a 16 way M.K. "Sentry" CU when I rewired my house 14 years ago.

It still has a few free slots, as I keep meaning to get around to fitting dedicated HiFi and PC power circuits.

No but I did say we had a bigger unit fitted because it had a fault.

But my point was to the OP to get his consumer unit tested.

No but I did say we had a bigger unit fitted because it had a fault.

But my point was to the OP to get his consumer unit tested.

A consumer unit is a plastic box with a metal rail and a copper bar inside; all the important bits are modular and individual (and prices for them start at ~£5); you dont get faulty CU's unless the actual case is smashed; even then, as long as you buy a replacement CU from a compatible maker, you could just swap over the MCB, ELCB amd all the CB's.

An empty CU costs from about £20 and up, depending on make and the number of modules you want to fit.

A consumer unit is a plastic box with a metal rail and a copper bar inside; all the important bits are modular and individual (and prices for them start at ~£5); you dont get faulty CU's unless the actual case is smashed; even then, as long as you buy a replacement CU from a compatible maker, you could just swap over the MCB, ELCB amd all the CB's.

An empty CU costs from about £20 and up, depending on make and the number of modules you want to fit.

It could be a problem similar to the post below (just plain poor workmanship)

FYI.

I had an issue where every so often the sockets tripped, sometimes the whole house would go.

Turned out the main live into consumer board was a like half a turn loose. 

Worth you checking maybe ?

Thinking about it now it was the main into the meter if I remember correctly, which in fairness has been there about a million years.

So make sure that get checked too.

Plenty of old pitched filled cut-outs still in use, being fed via old pilc cables which was designed purely for 50s/60s houses when there wasn't a great deal of appliances etc. Also there is still "looped services" in use, where a supply goes into one house and then a link from that house into next door. Could be that it might be a burn out in the first house causing supply issues

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about this too. I have an issue with our garage tripping the whole house every now and again, particularly when it's raining, so water seems to be getting in the electrics somewhere. Had to switch off the garage electrics completely for now until I can get an electrician to look at it.

I'm curious about this too. I have an issue with our garage tripping the whole house every now and again, particularly when it's raining, so water seems to be getting in the electrics somewhere. Had to switch off the garage electrics completely for now until I can get an electrician to look at it.

Definitely not good - electricity and water do not play well together!

Definitely not good - electricity and water do not play well together!

Very true! Pain during bad weather that I can't use my garage. Daren't turn it back on until the weather gets warmer and drier. My garage is a concrete sectional building with a corrugated roof, so weather is bound to get in!

Very true! Pain during bad weather that I can't use my garage. Daren't turn it back on until the weather gets warmer and drier. My garage is a concrete sectional building with a corrugated roof, so weather is bound to get in!

Some heavy duty sealant will sort that. Not silicone but something with high modulas of elasticity such as a mastic