could my after market hid's be causing electrical faults with my mk1 fabia vrs?

emmast123

i have a mk1 fabia vrs , 55 plate. ive had an aftermarket hid kit fitted in my car for over a year now. about a month after putting them in ii noticed that sometimes when i put my main beam nights on, the two displays at the bottom of the dash where your mileage is would go out, then if i messed around switching them on and off a few times it would come back on. then about a couple of months after, again once i switched my main beam lights on, every single warning light came up on dash, the handbrake light and oil light were flashing, power steering light etc, and my speedo and rev counter didnt work but as soon as you turned the engine off and on again it cured it. again a couple of months after, only when switching my main beam lights on, it did the same, this time the power steering light remained on and i lost power steering for about an hour, then after that it was fine again. however the other day, i was driving back at night,. again i switched my main beam lights on, all the warning lights came on, but this time i lost power steering but also the car just completely lost power, id put my foot on the accelerator and it would do nothing so gradually just came to a stop at the side of the road, but again all i ahd to do was turn the engine off and on again and it was fine. ive only had the vehicle read for fault codes once after it had done it and for every single warning that had come up for brakes, steering etc all had the same fault code, 'no communication to cluster'. havent had it read again recently, but i am considering it to see if it comes up with something. so could this be down to my lights, a bad earth or something more serious like the bcm?

Edited by emmast123

I had simular problems not long after i installed my hids, i re installed the original headlights and i still had the issue.

In the end my dash kept going out completely, took it in to be looked at and it turned out the control mudule that runs all the electrics was broken, replaced the unit and it works fine now

I had simular problems not long after i installed my hids, i re installed the original headlights and i still had the issue.

In the end my dash kept going out completely, took it in to be looked at and it turned out the control mudule that runs all the electrics was broken, replaced the unit and it works fine now

how much did you pay for a new unit?

Cant remember the exact figure, i think it was nearly 300 to supply and fit.

Are you having any issues with other electrics? mine got to the point where the electric windows wouldnt work either

thats expensive! :/ Nope nothing, no faults with the radio, windows, locking mechanisms, anything. only thing it does is reset the clock after its had one of its dos and puts all the warning lights on! thats why im a bit confused and think its just the wiring thats the problem instead. (i hope) 

If you have HID's fitted to both your high and low beam then it tends to create an electromagnetic field which messes with the sensors. It only tends to happen with both beams HID so just put some standard bulbs or 100w bulbs as your high beam and keep the HID's for just your low beam.

:)

i have bought some new bulbs so might start by taking just my main beam bulbs out and just put some standard ones in and see how i get on, even if it does look a bit weird! haha

People will never see the difference, as when you've got your high beams on, hopefully nobody is in front of you. :)

Nobody will know but us!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mine did this yesterday, started the car, turned in hids. I then went to drive of a seen the oil light flashing turned the car off then restarted still flashing, repeated this oil light went but would only run for 5 secs keep trying then was ok no oil light flashing and car running but now have the airbag light on

FINALLY my VRS is fixed. In the end was the battery. The battery was only 2 years old and when tested said it was fine. Put another battery on and it works like a dream. All flashing lights stopped and doesn't cut out after two minutes.