First glow plug and now DPF lights on

skodaiw

skodaiw, on 23 Nov 2014 - 12:45, said:snapback.png

We have had only one in-between service visit to the dealer to replace the EGT a couple of years ago.

I do have to take it for a run occasionally if the DPF light comes on, but it's not a problem.

I posted a glowing report of our 2010 Roomster SE 1.6 TDi CR yesterday, I should have kept my mouth shut!

My wife used it on Saturday (it had had a major service on Friday with an all-clear) and when she came back she said that the wire-coil light was on.  I had a look at it yesterday and it is the glow plug light that is flashing.

I've searched on here and see reference to the alternator pulley as one possibility.

I phoned the Skoda garage this morning and was told to check to see if the brake lights are working.  I have done this and they are.  I also noticed that now the DPF light is on!

I've been told to take the car to them at 2pm this afternoon.  I was planning to go on a longer route to clear the DPF, is this a good or bad idea?  Do I risk going into 'limp mode' if I do this?

Any suggestions gratefully received.  Thank you.

Denis

Edited by skodaiw

I wouldn’t do anything other than take the car directly back to the dealer, as this has happened after a major service it’s likely that something hasn’t been put back correctly.     

I've made a mistake, It's not the DPF light it's the Engine Management light and the car is now in limp mode.

That's a thought ChrisTids, both the air and fuel filters were changed at the service.  I wonder?

Cheers.

Denis

It could be something as simple as a connector that hasn’t been pushed back properly and has now become disconnected. In any case as it’s in limp mode I wouldn’t drive the car without talking to the dealer first.

• Like 1

Took the car to the dealer turned out to be the EGR Sensor working sporadically.  Told me they'd sorted it but if it happened again the EGR Sensor would need replacing as it was gummed up with carbon.

I drove it 1/2 mile down the road and the glow-plug light started flashing and it went into limp mode, I felt it happen.  Warning light didn't appear though.

I turned round and took it back to the garage where I've left it to have the EGR Sensor replaced.

Parts expected in on Wednesday, should get the car back on Thursday with a bill for around £700.

Now looking to get rid.  If I'd known then what I know now about the DPF etc I would never have bought a diesel in the first place.  OK if you do the miles but definite no no for low mileage.

Had a look at a demonstrator with less than 100 miles on the clock.  It's a petrol 105 BHP so the same power.  No Climatronic, which ours has got, but could be worth a look.

Anyone interested in an almost 18000 mile Roomster?

Cheers.

Denis

Edited by skodaiw

I've got no enthusiasm for working on modern cars ChrisTids, too complicated for my liking.  Working on my 1963 Triumph Vitesse 6 Convertible is a different thing altogether!

Denis

Took the car to the dealer turned out to be the EGR Sensor working sporadically.  Told me they'd sorted it but if it happened again the EGR Sensor would need replacing as it was gummed up with carbon.

20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing but you say in your post in the other thread that the car is used for 2 mile commute journeys and when the dpf light comes on you take it for a long drive.  Modern diesels just can't be used like that - crazy, I know but that is how they now are.  They need to be driven.  They just hate repeated short journeys (and also hate being driven like a granny to maximise fuel consumption as I found out with an earlier diesel) - it just chokes up everything from dpf to turbo vanes to EGR system.

Like yours, mine has done 18k miles but I have done it in a little under 18 months, not 4yrs.  My commute is 8 miles, with very little crawling in traffic and 50% of distance National Speed limit where I always manage 50-60mph.  It gets a 20-30 mile A road run 2 or 3 times a week and a 200 mile motorway jaunt at least once a month.  I use all the available torque and regularly accelerate hard through the gears using 4000 rpm plus once the engine is warmed up.   I have never seen the DPF light. (famous last words!!!).

Good luck sorting it out - I hope you avoid the big bill!  For the use your wife is putting it to, a petrol would definitely be a much better buy.

• Like 2

£700 sounds like a complete EGR change. The sensor should be around £150

I said EGR Sensor when I should have said EGR.  The whole thing was replaced, £654 in total.

20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing but you say in your post in the other thread that the car is used for 2 mile commute journeys and when the dpf light comes on you take it for a long drive.  Modern diesels just can't be used like that - crazy, I know but that is how they now are.  They need to be driven.  They just hate repeated short journeys (and also hate being driven like a granny to maximise fuel consumption as I found out with an earlier diesel) - it just chokes up everything from dpf to turbo vanes to EGR system.

Like yours, mine has done 18k miles but I have done it in a little under 18 months, not 4yrs.  My commute is 8 miles, with very little crawling in traffic and 50% of distance National Speed limit where I always manage 50-60mph.  It gets a 20-30 mile A road run 2 or 3 times a week and a 200 mile motorway jaunt at least once a month.  I use all the available torque and regularly accelerate hard through the gears using 4000 rpm plus once the engine is warmed up.   I have never seen the DPF light. (famous last words!!!).

Good luck sorting it out - I hope you avoid the big bill!  For the use your wife is putting it to, a petrol would definitely be a much better buy.

I had a look at their demonstration 1.2 TSi 105PS petrol while I was at the garage.  It was registered in July and has done under 60 miles.  It's Jungle Green!

Took it out for a drive yesterday and have chopped our diesel in for it.  We got £6000 for ours and have to pay £6700.  Virtually the same spec as the diesel apart from not having Climatronic a/c and no front fog lights.  However it has got ESC and silver roofbars.

If I'd got a similar specification new one they would have given me £500 less for ours and it would have cost us an additional £2100 and 12 weeks wait.  I pick it up on Wednesday.

The reason I got the diesel in the first place was because I was getting 55mpg from my '99 Octavia.  I didn't realize what a difference the DPF would make!  Still you learn by your mistakes!

Cheers.

Denis

Edited by skodaiw

• 1 month later...

Having had this car for a couple of months now I thought I'd give a quick update to say how pleased I am with it.

I'm amazed at the poke it has from its 1.2 litre engine, it goes really well and it feels better than the diesel did.  It doesn't skip round irregular-surfaced bends, I don't know if that's down to the tyres or not.

Another thing that is better is that the panoramic roof blinds now have a positive stop to hold them in place when closed, the other ones used to slowly open when the car was being driven.

I'm glad I've changed!

Denis

• Like 1

DPFs are a nightmare, I'm glad that I was lucky enough to have come across the research when buying my 08 focus 2 years ago, as at the time I was a pretty low mileage driver and didn't want any issues with it... however this backfired as I ended up doing 15k miles annual and could've saved maybe saved on a bit of petty  :|, good job you had the financial security to do what you did though, I know most defo I wouldn't be able to fork out over 6k for an upgrade  :notme:

DPFs are a nightmare, I'm glad that I was lucky enough to have come across the research when buying my 08 focus 2 years ago, as at the time I was a pretty low mileage driver and didn't want any issues with it... however this backfired as I ended up doing 15k miles annual and could've saved maybe saved on a bit of petty  :|, good job you had the financial security to do what you did though, I know most defo I wouldn't be able to fork out over 6k for an upgrade  :notme:

If it hadn't been for the DPF issues I wouldn't have considered getting rid of the diesel.  But I had to bite-the-bullet and change it.  I have the original DPF assembly taken off the car.  I've not taken it apart but I can see that the actuator rod has some carbon (I think) adhering to it, so I suppose this must stop it moving as it should.

Yes, we were fortunate that we had the money available to do the exchange, I do miss the Climatronic though!

Denis

If it hadn't been for the DPF issues I wouldn't have considered getting rid of the diesel.  But I had to bite-the-bullet and change it.  I have the original DPF assembly taken off the car.  I've not taken it apart but I can see that the actuator rod has some carbon (I think) adhering to it, so I suppose this must stop it moving as it should.

Yes, we were fortunate that we had the money available to do the exchange, I do miss the Climatronic though!

Denis

Haha yeah, diesels are much nicer to drive IMO, acceleration much smoother, gotta focus a lot more to get a nice pull away in a petrol than diesel, which doesn't actually require any effort. These stupid emission laws and DPF systems have really made choosing between a petrol and diesel a pain in the backside. 

I miss the torque of the diesel but I prefer the way the petrol drives round bends.  You do have to change the way you drive depending on the engine but I do like the wider rev range of the petrol.

The diesel is more forgiving when pulling away, the petrol is easier to stall!

When idling, I could hear the engine in the diesel, the petrol is quieter.

All things considered I think I prefer the petrol.

Denis

Haha yeah I know what your mean, patrols are much more engaging to drive with a greater sense of acceleration compared to the equivalent diesel but it's just diesels are just more relaxed which is what would sell it for me if it wasn't for this DPF bs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk