fabia 2 should I buy and why is the 1400 tdi So noisy

amp1967

the older PD engines are noisy due to the design of the fuel system,  bit clattery and like a tractor compared to te newer CR diesel

but so long as serviced regularly with the correct oil they are pretty bullet proof

• Like 1

My dad had one, 1.4 PD Fabia 2 and had done nearly 140k with no faults. It was very noisy but not much to do to reduce the noise but the engine was bullet proof. Apart from servicing, it has never been touched.

I bought one in 2009 - 1.4 TDI 3 pot. This was my first Skoda, and I quickly got used to the noise element. This engine as others have mentioned is bullet proof. Sadly I wrote this off in 2011 - but it never gave any problems whatever in the 12000 miles of use it received. They are a good buy

The 1.4tdi is a fantastic engine. I have a 59 plate and its done 45,000 miles so far without any problems at all! If you do buy one make sure its been serviced with the correct oil as the PD engines are sensitive to the incorrect spec. Must be vw505.01 5w/40 or the superseeded vw507 5w/30

I've had a 58 plate for the past 18 months which now has 90k miles and still feels like a new car. Passed it's last MOT with no advisories although I currently have an intermittent power steering problem.

The engine is noisy around town by modern standards (though not unpleasant to my ears) but becomes much more refined at open road speeds i.e. not tiring on long journeys. Fifth gear is a bit of an overdrive and I don't use it below 50 if I actually want to arrive at my destination on the same day I set out but the roll-on acceleration produced by the amazing (to me anyway!) torque from such a wee engine makes overtaking a doddle and driving on Argyll roads a joy. :sun:

Economy is good at about 60 mpg overall. I can get over 80 on my fortnightly economy run on the 5 mile journey to work on Sunday morning and occasionally less than 55 going flat out on a long journey. I never rev it like the driver in the clip Phil-E has linked though and think the engine does it's best work between 2200 and 3000 rpm.

HTH.

(Nobody ever talks about the diesels on here!)

Edited by 195at2200
  • Like 1

My last car had this engine i agree with the above comments , I did find idle and acceleration noisy but once up to speed it was ok. On the plus side there is very little vibration through the steering wheel and gear stick . I tried stuffing lots of sound proofing on and around engine , but with very little affect . 

So, retro sunset glass / tints. Is this a DIY job and if so can anyone recommend a pre=cut supplier???

I personally wouldnt try it myself.

Where abouts in the country are you?

I can recommend a very good place to have them done but its in Mansfield, and i dont know where you are haha

I find the engine less noisy on a decent run, with a moderate road speed.

To put it in context, I was re-training a student, who then went to purchase a similar aged/engine sized Toyota Yaris diesel. Her car seems quieter on start up and tick over but as the road speed increases, so does the noise. Her engine seems more frantic, needing more gear changes and her exhaust noise increased so much at motorway speed, I had to keep looking round for the following "Motorcycle" that was not there! I am not familiar with the gearing on YOUR Fabia though, as I have the Greenline, which has different ratios.