H7 ? LED bulbs?

Bulbs from a lighthouse?

2x95W D2S aux high beams (uprated Hella Micro Xenons, GHC 75W burners with 100W/95Wout HD ballasts) at 9000lm each, 2x stock H3 high beams boosted to 18V at 4000lm each, and 2x HID dipped beams at 4000lm each (minus the flat beam cutoff, so 2000lm each OTR). Nowadays even better auxiliaries are possible, Hella Micro Xenon Premium Edition, running these with stock 35W burners and 55W/50Wout HD ballasts will give more range than ordinary Micro Xenons with 95W.

Reason for fitting? A lot of night driving on nearly empty forested country roads abroad at the time.

Edited by dieselV6

2x95W D2S aux high beams (uprated Hella Micro Xenons, GHC 75W burners with 100W/95Wout HD ballasts) at 9000lm each, 2x stock H3 high beams boosted to 18V at 4000lm each, and 2x HID dipped beams at 4000lm each (minus the flat beam cutoff, so 2000lm each OTR). Nowadays even better auxiliaries are possible, Hella Micro Xenon Premium Edition, running these with stock 35W burners and 55W/50Wout HD ballasts will give more range than ordinary Micro Xenons with 95W.

Reason for fitting? A lot of night driving on nearly empty forested country roads abroad at the time.

LOL, rally cars must be running less light power than you do!

Hi mate. Would you mind sharing what LED H7s you were using? I did quite a bit of research and there is quite a few H7 LED bulbs available.

H7 LED bulbs are mainly for fog lights really, not main beams but as Sharkey I wanted to be "different" and go for sth else than HIDs. The LEDS I was looking at were much more expensive than HIDs and I think they were 35W CREE units.

Dave, HIDs for £16, wow, even if no better than normal bulbs still cheaper then good quality regulars!

Let us know how you got on?

I chickened out and got the bid cancelled ! lol...

I'm just "interested" I have no issues with my lights.... they are the latest generation headlamp (changed on the 2013 vRS) and I have some "strong" upgraded phillips bulbs in and the light is actually very good :)

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at LED bulbs for my vRS , it has the projector headlights, that "flip up" when full beam is put on, NO seperate full beam.... Is it H7 bulbs I need?

I'm getting confusing results on searches :(

Hey Sharkrider, hope all is well with you :-)

Which bulbs did you settle on please? I see Nightbreakers are 55w but I've seen some 100w bulbs around too, are they likely to burn out electrics, should I stick with 55w?

Any help muchly appreciated, I only realised how poor the standards are recently after changing my manual car, I had to check I had lights on one evening in the vRS as they were so dim!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Check out reviews on Youtube. LED technology has moved on quite a bit, theres quality items available from alot of bigger manufacturers - Osram, Philips, etc. Tried to get some from a Ukraininas manufacturer Carlamp, but they dont ship abroad. Afaik they get parts from Philips, so theres that.

• 2 weeks later...