Indicator light stays lit on dash when lights are on

Indicators are not relay triggered. They are controlled by the central electronics module/BCM. It could be a failure of the said controller -- some others have reported the off side indicators permanently on.

Mike

The external indicators aren't lit.  It needs an MOT this month, will they try the indicators with the lights on at the same time?  Could they fail it on this?

The fault started last winter when I went to the coast to see the big waves we had, the water spray was hitting the car.  Could water have gotten into the headlights, how can I check this?

Thanks

Just shows long it has been since I worked on cars mike! I have had other things to concentrate on since leaving the trade so, my mistake!!

When I was a tester it all depends on the who conducts and their methods but I used to make them leave dip beam on and operate the indicators so I could assess their operation and visibility etc so if it does it on test will probably fail as all tell tales should be extinguished when not in operation.

Could it be a dodgy earth and do they function correctly when this happens?

Just shows long it has been since I worked on cars mike! I have had other things to concentrate on since leaving the trade so, my mistake!!

When I was a tester it all depends on the who conducts and their methods but I used to make them leave dip beam on and operate the indicators so I could assess their operation and visibility etc so if it does it on test will probably fail as all tell tales should be extinguished when not in operation.

Could it be a dodgy earth and do they function correctly when this happens?

Yes the external indicators work fine.  How can I check the earth?

Thanks

As Mike H says its operation controlled through the central electronics module and as you report that they are working correctly would probably rule out the earth point mate, was just a thought if they were not working correctly.

I should have mentioned earlier when the dashboard indicator is permanently lit, it is not as bright as when it is flashing in operation and it is only the one side.

I read in a car mechanic magazine about a common fault with VAG cars where the Plenum chamber can let water in.  Could this affect the electrics?

It may be a good idea to check the indicator bulbs for corrosion & correct fitment in the connectors,i had a fault with another car where the rear fog light illumination was on all the time & somebody had fitted the bulb in wrong & forced it into the holder,new bulb & all was well.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone say what the solution to this problem was?  I have a similar problem and am wondering if this information might help.  My Yeti has just developed a symptom  whereby the dashboard right side indicator illuminates (not as bright as normal when flashing) when the main lights are on.  Thanks for any information you may have.

I have similar but left hand indicator warning light. It doesn't do it all the time and sometimes flickers. It goes out if you open a door and if the fog lights are on. But if the fog light are on the power steering light glows dull.

• 3 years later...

A common problem on older Octavia's. The solder joints on the back of the instrument cluster dry out / and or get damp, causing the random and dim illumination of one or more of the dash warning lights. The threads always tend to appear around this time of the year as the insides of (typically damp by design Octavia's) become moist.

If you follow this link, and then the links on each of my posts within each thread, you'll see that several other people have suffered from the same, or very similar issue...