Oh great!

Hi there

I'm new to the forum so first of all hello :-)

Just had some rubbish news yesterday! I've had my Fabia Vrs mk2 for 6 months and covered 4000 miles (it's second hand 11 plate 36k miles when purchased) and I took it in to skoda yesterday as every so often when in 7th gear D7 would flash. They have said the mechatronics unit is failing so I need a new gearbox :-/ it's still under the used car warranty that came with the car and only 6 months out of its manufacturers warranty. I'm just praying they replace it under the warranty, can't afford to buy a new one myself!

Welcome to the forum.

First hopefully the Warranty Covers it.

A New Mechatronic Control Unit does not mean a new Gearbox is required.

Even if out of the Original 3 year Manufacturers Warranty, 

you need to talk to Skoda UK Customer Services,  because.

There is a 'Service Campaign on the DQ200 DSG,   & Mechatronic Control Unit failure is a issue, 

they say Fuse Blowing, but thats their story for the UK.

see the New Zealand Campaign.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Also the Clutch Packs failing are a known issue as well as with the MCU,

and again does not mean a new DSG is required,

but for Economic Reasons that might get done.

*Skoda / VW /Audi /Seat have not done a 'Recall' in the UK on the DSG,

so lots of cars our there that need checked & maybe the Synthetic Oil changed to Mineral oil & doing a ECU update,

& checking the Mechatronic Control Unit.*

So Owners & Buyers might buy the potentially faulty cars and even from Skoda Dealerships without the Field Actions

having been done.  Check & Service Campaign work,  Stamp in Service Book & Sticker in the Boot.

There should have been a Recall Contacting Registered Keepers,

not Some being told by Dealers, or a letter from VW if you are on their Computer.

a VW 'Secret Service Campaign'.

So talk to Skoda UK,  & VW UK,  because they Designed & Built potentially Fault over time

DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch Gearboxes between 2009 & nearly onto 2014.

& they know it,

and they are responsible for many years to come,

not only for the first 3 years.

In other World Regions they did proper 'Recalls',  or Service Campaigns, 

& then they Extended the Warranty Periods.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

'If people let us away with doing very little, then that is what we will try to get away with!'.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

PS

Do not continue driving the car now that they have confirmed the MCU is faulty.

If it is a 'Skoda Approved Used Car'

& a Proper 12 month Warranty & the Master Tech says a  'New Gearbox is Required',   then let the Skoda Dealership get on and arrange that as soon as they can.

Courtesy car provided until the car is returned properly repaired,

new Gearbox and an Extended Warranty on the Parts & their Workmanship.

That is what they should do,

and Skoda will be Paying if the Insurance Underwriter is clued up,  after all VW are responsible.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Thanks George

The skoda dealer said yesterday it's ok to drive but if it fails then I will just loose all power and it will Coast. However it's not flashed D7 for a couple weeks now and drives fine but I'd rather get it sorted ASAP don't like the idea of driving around in a "time bomb"! I'm just waiting for them to get the ok back from their warranty provider???? It's a skoda used car warranty so not sure what that's about! It's interesting what u said about the campaign dq200, I guess it pays to google around.

Yes safe in their opinion.

Where do you coast to on the outside lane of the Motorway, or do you drive near the hard shoulder until Skoda Warranty

decide what they are going to do about fixing the car.?

Will it only fail on downhill slopes?

Best Call Skoda UK and get them to arrange a Car for you.

Ask the Dealership Principal for his Company Car, or the Sales or Finance Manager for the Demonstrator they drive,

ask them to take your car that might lose Drive or Power but can coast safely to a halt.

They are muppets and idiots really.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 3

Just a quick update

I spoke to the dealer on Tuesday and asked for an update and they still hadn't heard back from there warranty provider so still couldn't proceed with the work. I then ask for a courtesy car as I'm effectively carless and now walking to work.

They said they didn't have any cars to give and they wouldn't have until the 24th Dec.

I spoke to Skoda UK on Wednesday who were very helpful and said they would speak to the dealer. Suprise suprise the dealers calls me on Thursday and tells me an assessor will be down on Wednesday next week to look at my car, and then when he's signed it off they will fix my car weds/thurs so I should have it back Thursday evening. They are also giving me a courtesy car on Wednesday as well which still leaves me carless till then but I'm glad it's now sorted.

It should never of had to come to me calling skoda UK!!

Goldfish hello and welcome ;) , hopefully your we motor will get fixed ASAP and probably youde be better checking what else has been done under warranty, you've come to the right place here as there are many with a Friday car like yourself, George and the crew know all about the relevant issues with the mk2 and will steer you in the right direction, all the best with it

Seb

The 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty' underwritten by Car Care Plan ltd

which you can buy after the Manufacturers Warranty expires,  provides a Loan Car. it is all in the T&C

There should be no question with a Skoda Approved Car with a Skoda Approved Car Warranty that a Courtesy car is Provided.

If the Repairing Garage can not provide it, they need to arrange the Hire,

That is what the Warranty Underwriter will be paying for,  it should all be in the T&C's.  ask the Dealer for the Warranty Policy Booklet.

I expect Skoda will be paying for this Engine & Courtesy Car or Hire car, because no Warranty Underwriter wants to cover 

known Faults, & VW / Skoda know the Design & Manufacturing faults.

////////////////

?

Was there an Invoice for the 40,000 mile service showing the cost of the replacement spark plugs done at that service?

& was there a Warranty History,  OIl Consumption Test,  Breather Pipe & Valve Mod done & a ECU Updare?

Also

Has the car required or had the DSG Service Campaign work done?.........

Re The Courtesy / Loan car.

Maybe best to call again Skoda UK Customer Services UK, Milton Keynes & talk to a manager.

Or get an Email off as well as the Call.

For the attention of  Alasdair Stewart Brand Director Skoda UK.

Skoda UK might have a vehicle they are the Registered Keeper of sitting at the Dealership,

or actually being Driven by a Dealership Employee etc.  A perk.

They can walk rather than you until Wednesday.

Or just tell Skoda UK HQ that you will arrange a Hire Car and the Invoice will be going to them.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK Translated to English or CZ,  

They are responsible for the Design & Manufacturing Faults, so need to foot the bills.

& Improve Customer Services.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The car has only just done 40k miles, it's actually due for a service in jan. Havnt really had an oil issue with this car I put a litre in when I bought it as the dip stick was very low and its stayed almost full over the last 4000 miles.

I'm just glad it's getting sorted, I've sorted transport through family and friends until Wednesday. But of course I shouldn't of had to do that. Skoda UK said they will contact me again on Thursday to make sure everything going ok and will keep the case open and give me a call a week later to make sure I'm happy with the car once fixed. The chap at skoda UK said he would sort some compensation out for me for the inconvienience, so I'm thinking of an extra years warranty foc!

What interests me is if the Dealership have a New Replacement Engine sitting now ready to put in next week,

or is one going to be delivered next week.

48 hours is enough time to do the work in, 

2 men & one working day is enough as long as they are good, the ECU update goes OK etc.

Best ask if they have done a Replacement engine in a Twincharger before at that dealership.

The Extended Warranty should be Automatic, but seldom has been with most Owners.

But it is your right.

If an Extended Warranty Company is paying for the Engine, then it is a Genuine Skoda Replacement Part and comes with a 2 year warranty.

If an Extended Warranty Company is paying for the Engine, then it is a Genuine Skoda Replacement Part and comes with a 2 year warranty.

So in theory, it you had a new engine every 2 years or less. Youd get an unlimited warranty? ;) haha

I know you jest.  

But first you need to buy the Extended Warranty, so £500 - £600 for 2 years,  then they need to Approve the Repairs.

Now Car Care Plan ltd that Cover the 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty'  might pay up.

other Warranty Companies are not accepting that the Manufacturer or Dealerships did not know there were or are Faults.

So lets see just how often Skoda / VW foot the bill, rather than be taken to Court or Legal Proceedings.

What interests me is if the Dealership have a New Replacement Engine sitting now ready to put in next week,

or is one going to be delivered next week.

I thought at the most we were talking about a replacement gearbox.

DOH. Sorry.

Me mixing my 'Holed Piston', & DSG playing up threads.

So many vRS Failures & poor Skoda Customer Services

& me Drinking too much Polish Vodka & Hungarian Unicum.

Its 15:20 in the afternoon?

Good effort!

Apart from the Hungarian Cum. That sounds disgusting tbf, but either to their own

• Like 1

Is that what they are doing just replacing the Unit,  & then putting in the Mineral Oil,  no New Gearbox as they first said. ?

£2,500

Any talk of changing the clutch packs while they are at it, 

they will say, if they are OK we can not,  but then they will end up having to pay the labour again later.

Well when the technician called first of all he said the mech had gone. So I said well as the DQ200 is a sealed unit does that mean a new gearbox? He said eeeerrrrrrrmmmmmm yea! Then after all the faffing it turns out they are just bolting on a new mech. I would be surprised if the plate as worn, unless the previous owner spanked it everywhere!