Detachable Towbar advice

D@z

just wondering if I can pick your brains guys, Ive done a search for info, but want to be sure before splashing out after Xmas!

my car already has Towbar prep from factory, am I right in saying a car specific adapter kit is all I need (without cutting wires), to connect between car and towbar?

Im only using it for a cycle carrier, which is 7 pin, and the adapter kit is 7 pin, so should be all good, but do I need to have the car coded? or is this done as part of TB prep?

Is this pretty much the same kit as OEM? and has anyone fitted DIY? http://www.pfjones.co.uk/skoda-octavia-2013-on-detachable-tow-bar-317132.html

thanks all, hope you can help. also if any of you have some pics that would be appreciated as I only found a few!

EDIT: Car was received end of October, it was a stock car shipped over from Germany, so any idea where to check build date?

You'll need the car coded. But one of the problems with the third party controllers is that they are not reachable via VCDS.

AFAIK this does not effect functionality, but I have my suspicions that not all functions are coded into the third party controllers. At least not to the same degree as the Skoda controllers.

If that does not bother you for your application, then save some money and get the third party ones.

If you want full functionality, then I'd spend the little extra to get the Skoda kit and get that fitted. At leas that is what I am doing at present.

D@z, just give back to the stealers mate, the coding is an Fn nightmare and third parties exclude it even if they don't tell you up front, its gonna be a whole load of agg. trying to do it on the cheap, bloody reversing sensors bleeping and the Maxidot telling you about a light error, its just is what it is !

Regards

T

Dealers quote is £490 for the kit fitted, so you can see why the (apparently) same kit at £268 from pfjones is tempting, I wonder how much the dealer would charge to code it, perhaps I will give them a bell and see if I can haggle down a little

I'm gonna bet my bottom dollar they'll want something north of £150, I don't believe its VCDS coding hence, your in a bit of a bind and if just IF the Westfalia ain't exactly the same as OEM (which I don't know & unfortunately niether do you so, the stealers can bull-you as much as they want) they ain't gonna code it for you.

One stop shop means "the buck stops there"

Just my tupenny's worth though

• Like 2

I've fitted a couple of westfalia kits to a passat and an a4 avant.

Both have been successfully coded with vcds and the controller is reachable as though it was oem.

Pf Jones are helpful over the phone if you have any doubts.

The full details of coding the proper kits with VCDS are on the Ross Tech website.

I've helped people try to code kits from PF Jones and they've not been reachable with VCDS. My advice is to beware which kit you are buying if full functionality is important.

Interesting with conflicting info in the past few posts!

I know an independent, who did all my coding in my mk2 vrs, is the vcds different for the mk3 or will his work ok?

D@z, without trying the Westfalia kit you ain't gonna know but, I'd get it all parties to put in writting with cast iron, full cost refunds (kit, instalation and removal if necessary) should it not work as OEM, if they ain't willing to give those assurances, keep your money for the stealers, it could be cheaper in the long run.

What worries me with the coding is that we have some guys on here that eat, sleep and breath VCDS and I ain't seen anybody utter a peep about coding towbars and their electrics, its gotta say something.

All the best.

• Like 1

I initially ordered (from PF Jones) a Westfalia Detachable Swan Neck Tow Bar with the Westfalia 13 PIN electrics for my Octy III which has towbar prep.

The electrics were actually two separate looms but were Skoda dedicated, not the Universal option. The first would run from the plug that towbar prep had placed on the nearside rear wheel arch. The second would run from the fuse box and was needed if I wanted charging.

I arranged for an independent fitter to come and install everything. Once he got to the plug at the rear wheel arch we realised that it was a different shaped plug. Same wires just different shape. Obviously cutting into the loom is not the best option as this invalidates the warranty. So we called Westfalia and we found out that Skoda had decided to change the plug (sometime around June 2014). Westfalia also told us that they were working on a new loom which would be available soon!

Initially it was only available through the dealer.

Alongside this I also telephoned PF Jones who were totally unaware of the plug change, but with the new information quickly reworded the kits on the website 2013 - June 2014. As I mentioned above the new loom was only available through the dealer so I had to sit it out. Eventually the new looms arrived at PF Jones and they happily swapped it out.

I then arranged for another independent fitter to come and install everything! He first wired up the plug loom to the towbar and to our surprise we learned that the charging was working, without fitting the second loom that PF Jones had supplied.

I phoned PF Jones with the information and they no longer supply/provide the second charging loom for cars June 2014 on with TP.

The indicators/hazards, fog and brake lights all worked out of the box too.

The fitter only had a Westfalia Coding machine with him but managed to switch off the parking sensors and display the towing picture on the infotainment screen. There is also an extra marker on the speedo as well, not sure if that was him or whether that just worked.

I still do not know if things like the ABS has been amended but as I am only currently using the towbar for a bike rack I am not overly concerned.

There is a very specific post about towbar coding and VCDS which I will dig out when I have posted this!

• Like 1

Noticed the other day that ECO mode was not available with the bike rack fitted so thinking about that perhaps the ABS has also been coded correctly. Also, If the car is locked and the alarm has had chance to activate, unplugging the towbar electrics cable sets the alarm off.

• Like 1

The Westfalia kit is the same as OEM, you just need to get it coded.

Or to put it another way as some people do not seem to understand:- the tow bar kit supplied by Skoda is actually made by Westfalia. So you can buy the dedicated Westfalia kit from PF Jones, it is the same as the Skoda supplied kit, it is much cheaper.

Edited by pncarrerars
  • Like 1

Plus one for pncarreras' posts. My Skoda dealer directs towbar seekers to a local indy, they fit Westfalia to Octavias. Mine needed everything fitting, but the coding etc was the most time consuming. I went for the full removeable neck as in your post. Not cheap, but no visible sign when not fitted. The video shows it perfectly.

• Like 1

Noticed the other day that ECO mode was not available with the bike rack fitted so thinking about that perhaps the ABS has also been coded correctly. Also, If the car is locked and the alarm has had chance to activate, unplugging the towbar electrics cable sets the alarm off.

It all sounds like finally after your waiting that you now have a fully functioning system and I'm sure if you shop around you can get the bits cheaper and the car can be coded by whomever, my only issue with all of this is the ownership of any future problems.  Something breaks malfunctions or whatever and all your holiday items and the trailer there in causes a multi vehicle accident, its obvious the police are going blame you after all, its your trailer but, when asked what reasonabily practical steps you've taken to ensure the towbar/ancilaries functions correctly and are road worthy..... What have you got ?

Me yeah I've no doubt paid over the odds but, I have redress and sleep at night, cars and anything else moving at speed are lethal weapons thats my point, take it or leave it, it is what it is.

Regards

T

It all sounds like finally after your waiting that you now have a fully functioning system and I'm sure if you shop around you can get the bits cheaper and the car can be coded by whomever, my only issue with all of this is the ownership of any future problems.  Something breaks malfunctions or whatever and all your holiday items and the trailer there in causes a multi vehicle accident, its obvious the police are going blame you after all, its your trailer but, when asked what reasonabily practical steps you've taken to ensure the towbar/ancilaries functions correctly and are road worthy..... What have you got ?

Me yeah I've no doubt paid over the odds but, I have redress and sleep at night, cars and anything else moving at speed are lethal weapons thats my point, take it or leave it, it is what it is.

Regards

T

I am currently only using a towbar bike rack, I don't own anything to tow.

But.

I do intend asking a well known VCDS expert if they mind me driving across the Pennines to activate a few safer options such as cornering fogs and dual rear fogs. Assuming they don't mind I shall also be asking them to double check all the parameters that relate to towing, should I or any future owner consider towing anything, as I also require that peace of mind.

As you know I have already sought your own expert advice on improving the headlights, making for safer driving, for which I am very grateful.

In the end I did have the towbar fitted by an independent who actually could have supplied the same towbar I had purchased. So in reality I could be sat in the same position anyway with these uncertainties. Without the forum I probably wouldn't be any wiser as to what should be taking place. But I am, and I have no intention to drive anything I feel would be dangerous to myself or anyone else.

:)