Clutch pedal has dropped - but still works OK

Pushed clutch down at lunch time today and it went click, worked OK but then did not return to correct height. Seems like the return mechanism that gives the free play has broken so it now rests on the rod that works the slave or is the slave on its way out? Google search does show similar problems with Octavias. Could not find any broken pieces in footwell. Drives OK but clutch is much lower than other pedals. Does anyone know if this will develop into a bigger problem if I continue to drive it or is it an easy fix?

2009 TDI 140 bhp with 83K

Whenever the weather gets cold we seem to get issues crop up with clutch pedals, across the Skoda range model does not seem to matter. Usually is the master cylinder thats having issues, and sometimes lifting the clutch up with your foot can help in the short term.

Thanks for this, further inspection shows the clip has given way but the remaining pedal action is much heavier than it used to be especially when cold. Have been told that the ball on the end of the master cylinder may be damaged so that may also need replacing. Having read some Octavia threads there seems to be all sorts of trouble with fitting the ball of the master cylinder rod into the clip. I have also been told that the whole pedal assembly needs to come out for the repair. Cant understand that as the master cylinder rod remains on the bulkhead so how can they be connected to pedal and clip? Perhaps this is to reset the return spring or is the master cylinder removed as well? Any advice / explanations on how to fit the clip insitu would be appreciated if this is possible.  

I've had clutch issues on mine since it was almost new. The pedal would creak sometimes as if something wasn't lubricated properly. After 40,000 miles a garage finally diagnosed a faulty slave cylinder, replaced it and its not fine.