Lead help please

PJGoose69

After having my octy re-mapped, i want to buy a lead for the diagnostics.I've been told i need the one with the screw in fitting :o (forgive my PC ignorance) rather than the little plug in one! Sound like a numpty i know, but all i want is to know where to get one and how much they are please. :thumbup:

Goose

Has anyone any experience of buying one of the VAG COM leads on e-bay. I am worried by the prospect of connecting the lead to the diagnostic socket and wiping all of the settings from my (standard) Fabia TDI computer. Has anyone bought one that works fine? Also there are a number of different discriptions - I am Ok with the choice of serial or parallel but what would be the correct lead for the Fabia with the CAN bus?

Quent :confused:

Fabia doesn't need CAN-BUS.

Choice should be Serial or USB - Depending on the laptop you want to use it with.

I would suggest in the absence of any specific recomendations you make an assesment using the sellers feedback. If his customers are happy then his leads should be ok. You shouldn't 'wipe' the ECU as the data is stored in a different EEPROM.

• 1 month later...
After having my octy re-mapped' date=' i want to buy a lead for the diagnostics.I've been told i need the one with the screw in fitting :o (forgive my PC ignorance) rather than the little plug in one! Sound like a numpty i know, but all i want is to know where to get one and how much they are please. :thumbup:

Goose[/quote']

hi i have two spare leads one is serial and the other is usb and the software are you intrested i have used them on my octavia to reset the engine light and find faults with them :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bough this one off ebay, about 2 weeks ago, it all seems to work perfectly with release 409-1 and was very cheap, delivery took about 10 days. I am going to register the VAG COM shareware for full version ( even if you buy a 3rd party cable then find it won't work and have paid to license the software, you can upgrade to a rosstech cable and they knock the cost of the original license off the upgrade...or so I understand it unless someone is going to correct me).

Link is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROSS-TECH-VAG-COM-409-1-COMP-OBD-2-II-CABLE-OBD2-O4_W0QQitemZ8016367328QQcategoryZ30921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem