Auxillary belt tensioner diesel models

Hi guys, has anybody ever tried to replace the auxillary belt tensioner on the aef Diesel engine? It looks like you have to remove the alternator, it's tucked right up under the injection pump and it's looking like a proper pig of a job too.

there's a strange L shaped bar that feeds through the alternator mounting bracket and pushes into the tensioner which is mounted on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm not stating the obvious remove the front grille as well to give better access. Unfortunately one of the bolts securing the alternator hides behind the the auxiliary belt pully release the tension by using the nut under the injector pump at the back of the alternator it's a strange shape, mole grips do nicely and possibly the wife to hold them this should allow access to the second alternator bolt. Finally don't forget the pulley bolt is a left-hand thread. Best of luck with small fingers clive

What a total plonker I am Please ignore my previous post it's quite an easy job remove the air filter lid and base remove the top of the camshaft belt cover and amazing it's very easy to get at. Leave the tension on the belt as you undo it (left-hand thread) go for the ring spanner on nut and hit it with a hammer approach to shock it loose now the only awkward bit is releasing the tension at the back of the alternator with the funny thing I don't know what it's called by the back of the fuel pump

Simples

• 1 year later...

I replaced the tensioner spring at the weekend, in order to stop the chirping. I think it was a total of 4 bolts which needed to come out/go back in. It took 3-4 hours of contorting, swearing, dropping tiny bolts, swearing skinning knuckles, swearing etc before I had everything back together! Whilst doing the job, I found the l shaped shaft was dry and very worn. ar5e! No way of getting this out to replace without removing engine or cutting a hole in the inner wing. Once it was back together, I had lessened, but not eradicated the chirping, double ar5e!

I think now that my engine has passed it's 180,000 mile 'birthday' it may well be time to do the tdi engine swap I've been putting off for 5 years!? Now then, what happened to all the mk3 Golf tdis over the past 5 years?!

Edited by jonny a