OEM spark plugs VRS

What happens when you ring the tech boffins at your spark plug maker of choice and ask them what the recomended plug is for "vehicle X" or what the equivalent is to spark plug partno "xxxx"  that's how I do it.  Let the experts do some work.

What happens when you ring the tech boffins at your spark plug maker of choice and ask them what the recomended plug is for "vehicle X" or what the equivalent is to spark plug partno "xxxx"  that's how I do it.  Let the experts do some work.

I'll give it a try in the New Year.

• 4 months later...

I'm using the vk20s and so.far so good. I gapped them to.0.7 as they come 1.1 the thing I would check if anyone gets a vw garage to do.Plugs is That they definitely do the plug on cylinder one, the more awkward of the 4 to change. Simply because after vw said they had done mine when I removed them to put the vk20s in the original ngk plug was still in cylinder one and the other 3 had audi vw stamped on them the ones they had changed and not bothered to do cylinder 1. Not what you would expect from a vw garage.

Edited by walterwilson85

• 4 months later...

Well done George for bumping this, very timely. I'm in process of getting these, going with Denso I think. 

Although engine has been excellent, no oil use whatsoever, it does run rather warm especially if given a very spirited outing. Normal motorway running to Carlisle (around 75 miles each way for me) saw the temp around the 98 mark, so not to bad I don't think though I would be hoping that these plugs may help keep it cooler. On the other hand, have also seen 116 on temp reader, immediately after very spirited outing, I had to sit with car for nigh on 25 minutes to allow it to cool down sufficiently so I could switch off.

If your on about oil temp mine ranges from 80 to 100 on just normal driving. Foot to the floor type will see it go up past 120. I'll usually let it get back towards 90 before I turn it off. But I'm sure the oil pump keeps pumping for a bit once turned off as you can hear it.

sittingbull,

No need to sit with them running to cool down, there is a very well designed system to do that. Just stop the car and switch off.  IMO.

Unless you are on the Track and you might want a cool down lap and to open the Bonnet once stopped for a while if the sun is splitting the pavement.

Maybe worth a change of the Brand  of 5w 40 Full Synthetic being used if doing Fixed Servicing rather than

running 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life.

• Like 1

sittingbull,

No need to sit with them running to cool down, there is a very well designed system to do that. Just stop the car and switch off.  IMO.

Unless you are on the Track and you might want a cool down lap and to open the Bonnet once stopped for a while if the sun is splitting the pavement.

Maybe worth a change of the Brand  of 5w 40 Full Synthetic being used if doing Fixed Servicing rather than

running 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life.

Thanks George, I'm no sure who told me to let the engine cool but I've been adhering to it since then, too scared to just switch off without really knowing why, thought I was doing the right thing as temp seemed way above normal operating temperature.

I'll also have a look at using the different oil.

• 1 year later...

bump for Candy White

There are more current threads on spark plugs but this one shows the numbers of the plugs that were OEM when the Twinchargers were CAVE engines and 

before Skoda changed those fitted and released the CTHE engine cars.

Edited by Offski