Rain sensor wipers

mjjs2

If you want "normal" intermittent as opposed to rain sensor controlled intermittent with sensitivity controlled by the clicker, you need to replace the wiper relay for a non sensing one (beige coloured instead of grey coloured). I did that within a week of buying my new Superb back in 2006, as I already had experience with Rain-X and rain sensor over-sensitivity on the Mk1 Octy by then.

You need part number 4B0955531C or E, relay is marked "603", under a tenner on eBay, older versions were marked 377 and 389.  

Your current rain sensing relay is 1J0955531A and is marked "192" and grey in colour.

Installation is plug and play, remove lower dashboard cover, take out relay 192, insert relay 603 (or 389/377) in its place.

Edited by dieselV6

You have to replace the wind screen wiping relay. Real easy to do ( I've done it. Can't stand wipers going all the time when there is absolutely no need! ) but you have to get the correct one.

If you Google, vw passat intermittent wipe, etc, you'll get the info you need.

When I say correct type I mean it depends whether you have xenon headlamps - because of the headlamp wash which is powered from the same relay.

Relay 603 as I had stated earlier, replaces all "dumb" relays, ie regardless of car equipment. 377 and 389 were older relays without/with headlamp washers. Likewise, relay 192 serves all cars with rain sensor.

You have to replace the wind screen wiping relay. Real easy to do ( I've done it. Can't stand wipers going all the time when there is absolutely no need! ) but you have to get the correct one.

If you Google, vw passat intermittent wipe, etc, you'll get the info you need.

When I say correct type I mean it depends whether you have xenon headlamps - because of the headlamp wash which is powered from the same relay.

Love mine - never had a problem with them on the MKI or MKII. Just set them to the lowest setting all the way to the left on the adjustment toggle and that's that; they only ever come one when it, err, rains!

Mine work great, but I guess a lot depends on whether you've had a botched windscreen install or not.  If I'd let the last windscreen installer get away with what he was trying to leave it would be a different story...  Worth checking out the state of the sensor.  There is a gel pad which is supposed to take up the air gap between the sensor and the glass, and this can either be badly installed and bubbled, or dirty with fingerprints, or totally missing...