Rubbish Horn

Steibel Air Horn, it is 99 decibels & legal, I had one in my Octy,  It is not 2 tone , but definately loud enough for people to know you are around.

It takes a little effort to fit even in a tight space, but the effects of it can be priceless specially when you surprise pedestrians who do not look when stepping out into the road & other car drivers who do not look when exiting junctions in front of you.

Do a search on You tube for Steibel Air horns,   As you may find 2 tone replacements may be a bit larger that the one you want to remove. 

Changed the horn on my monte got a replacement from my local motor factors a bit louder but any things better than standard rubbish easy to fit pull out nearside fog light cluster and you can see it straight away

My dealer David Ian Skoda Morecambe simply fitted an extra horn to my Monte when I bought it May 2014.

Seemingly a common request!!

As for horn use, I use it frequently on country road bends with restricted vision, where one frequently finds

drivers from the opposite direction are partially on the wrong side of the road.  Use of the horn enables them to

correct their driving line, thereby avoiding a possible collision.

Our MX5's have either Steibel or a similar Ring horn fitted, be sure to fit a relay, either are very effective.

Aren't two tone horns illegal?

I suspect something that was an alternating tone (ni-nah type) could well be but lots of cars have two tone horns. Certainly, my "old" cars have two horns that give different notes (but always at the same time)

I suspect something that was an alternating tone (ni-nah type) could well be but lots of cars have two tone horns. Certainly, my "old" cars have two horns that give different notes (but always at the same time)

You are correct.  Two tones sounding simultaneously are legal, but two alternating tones  are not.

As for horn use, I use it frequently on country road bends with restricted vision, where one frequently finds

drivers from the opposite direction are partially on the wrong side of the road.  Use of the horn enables them to

correct their driving line, thereby avoiding a possible collision.

Excellent use of the horn.  The only true use of the horn, as in "I am here".

Two tone = high and low tones sounding simultaneously, not illegal.

I fitted a bosch EC 9 to my Monte, it is a tight fit but extremely simple and easy. Unfortunately I hit a badger a few months ago and it smashed the horn up to the point only the low tone is working. I finally got round to ordering a new one last week, just waiting on delivery. I've read that the monte is a bit sensitive when it comes to the horn and it can throw up error messages. The EC 9 doesn't do this.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Twin-Tone-Car-Fanfare-horn-Bike-snail-horn-12V-a-pair-/181564166370

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brilliant tutorial video jonro! Now i know what to do with my own miserable excuse for a horn (tooter more like) lol. Thanks a lot mate.

No problem. I didn't see this before I changed my horn and I managed fine, it's pretty easy once you see the space you have to work with. Seeing the video before going in is definately a good thing though.

Wish my new horn would hurry up and arrive lol

• Like 1

Do people really sound their horn on Motorways?

I have never heard one,

but now i know why!

I've got bridgestone turanza's fitted still. Id never hear a horn on the motorway haha

Seriously though. I cant see a problem with the horn on my SE. Id imagine itd be the same as the monte one?

I've got bridgestone turanza's fitted still. Id never hear a horn on the motorway

You are so right!!

This Turanza sufferer agrees wholeheartedly with your comment. Wonderful for grip etc - beyond belief for noise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 1

You are so right!!

This Turanza sufferer agrees wholeheartedly with your comment. Wonderful for grip etc - beyond belief for noise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had them taken off today and fitted some vector 4 seasons.

The car seems sooo quiet now. Its unbelievable.

But thats for another thread i guess haha.

Horn arrived this morning and fitted or when I got home from work. Took me about 30 mins cos it was dark and I forgot how little room there is. The old horn was pretty bashed up and one of the wires was completely snapped so I was back down to a single tone. Two tone fanfare now up and running again! 93db so its good and loud.

Horn arrived this morning and fitted or when I got home from work. Took me about 30 mins cos it was dark and I forgot how little room there is. The old horn was pretty bashed up and one of the wires was completely snapped so I was back down to a single tone. Two tone fanfare now up and running again! 93db so its good and loud.

Youll be beeping at everybody now. Just so you get to use it haha

• Like 2

Do people really sound their horn on Motorways?

I have done from time to time, probably more often than in town and I can't imagine using it on country roads - on the off-chance.

If someone drifts over from one lane to another on the Motorway without looking, using your horn to wake them up rather than slamming on the brakes is often the safest thing to do.

I agree that the VRS horn is absolutely pathetic -  when next I get my car serviced I will get a better system fitted unless DIY is fairly easy.

Does anyone get out of their car & move a bit away and listen to the Horn being sounded,

or stand at the roadside and listen as it gets sounded as the car passes by ?

The vRS Horn down where it is sounds quite a bit different when you hear it as you are travelling along side it in another car 

from how it might sound to the driver in the car pushing the horn.

Does anyone get out of their car & move a bit away and listen to the Horn being sounded,

or stand at the roadside and listen as it gets sounded as the car passes by ?

The vRS Horn down where it is sounds quite a bit different when you hear it as you are travelling along side it in another car 

from how it might sound to the driver in the car pushing the horn.

That would be a dangerous thing for me to do. I'd have to get a couple of bits of wood to do the driving and the horn pressing.

I wish you lived near me, I'd buy the horns and get you to fit them for me :)

• Like 1