Hi all, new here so I hope I am posting this in the right place.

This is the thing, I need some help/advice on a recently purchased Skoda Felicia, 2000 model, 1.3 engine and has 75000km on it.

Since I got it, it has been working very good but with some minor problems, I think.

First thing I noticed was the car acts like it was kind of struggling on idle, still does that. 

The next problem I had was every now and then a short squeal came from the engine, the alternator sign came on for a couple of seconds, then went away and squealing stopped. During these incidents the lights fade a bit but come back on when the squealing stops. Have also had this happen without the squeal from the engine.

Today, the heater blowers didn't work, although they have never shown signs of problems before, except a bit of whistling from the vents and I didn't think much of that. But then all settings, 1,2,3 & 4 just don't work and the car reached very quickly to high on the temp gauge. Needless to say I didn't get any driving done today. All windows fogged and frozen and car overheating, a really cold day today in Iceland.

I really don't know car repairs well but after reading some forums here I'm thinking, I need a new alternator belt, temp. sensor and switch? Would you say that this is along the lines of correct? Any help much appreciated so I can buy the spares and have this repaired somewhat cheaper than going to a mechanic and have him spend days on locating the problems and buying maybe brand new ones. 

Also, I have noticed that the radiator fan does not come on at all but the needle on the temp gauge barely rises unless it sits idle for some time it will go all the way up to the red zone, never gotten to the red zone because I've switched it off before it got there.

(Sum up: Radiator fan not working, overheat on idle, struggle on idle, alternator sign occasionally, heater blowers not working)

I must admit I am fond of my boxy old looking Felicia and do want to keep it. It's a great car, reliable but has maybe trouble with aging like the rest of us :)

Thank you in advance for all help!

Hello Felicia2014,

It sounds like there are a few things happening:

The squeal associated with the alternator light was almost certainly the belt slipping on its pulleys. You may need a new belt or need to tighten the existing belt. So far as I know the same belt drives the water pump (mine's a diesel). A slipping or broken belt will result in poor water circulation and cause overheating.

The radiator fan and blowers not working may be blown fuses or some other electrical problem. Start with the fuse box and check for signs that water has penetrated into it - a common problem on Felicias. Also check if any of the fuses are blown. If everthing seems ok in the fuse box, check if power is being delivered to the blower motor and radiator fan motor. By bridging the terminals on the radiator fan switch with with a screwdriver or other conductor (ignition on), you should see the radiator fan come on (mind your fingers!). 

The struggle on idle could be caused by a variety of things - worn out spark plugs, incorrect ignition timing, broken plug lead, worn distributor cap, moisture in the plug caps, carburretor adjustment, blocked air or fuel filter or some silly electronic thing!

I hope this helps you get started.

Let us know how you get along.

Greetings from the United Kingdom and I thought it was cold here in addition to Briskodian excellent advice I would like to suggest the following scenario

There is a good chance the radiator fan has not been needed for years due to the weather in your country and could be seized or has a short circuit. With the belt slipping and the water pump not circulating the car would attempt to switch the fan on causing an electrical short circuit resulting in the other problems you have.If you are not confident to bridge the terminals with the ignition on as advised above it's not too difficult to unplug the fan and put 12 V directly to it to see if it's working If it does work
need to check as above finally the heater blower switches are temperamental and do tend to fail but not usually on all speeds at once suddenly I understand you've not much knowledge but possibly a friend could help you if the fan doesn't run it will need replacing or the whole scenario could start again hope this helps keep us informed it helps others .

Hi Felicia2014

I will start by telling you that it is useful to tell us what type of engine your car has. Even better, fill in your engine type using your Control Panel. Everybody will see under your avatar that useful information (see below our avatars)

I subscribe to advices above, maybe except "incorrect ignition timing, worn distributor cap, carburretor adjustment" for obvious reasons...

The only thing I would like to add is about the heater fan failing on all speeds.

The fuse is S3 white 25A (third from left)

Depending on how much it was used, the carbon brushes might be worn out. I had to replace them on my car.

Also you should check the connector to the box of resistance (see attached) as it gets often very corroded. Take battery out first.

PS

I will PM you as soon as your message box gets active.

• Like 1

You don't need to take the battery out to check the series resistor on right hand drive models because the battery is on the other side. Good call on checking th fuse for the blower fan, that's the most obvious place to check first.

it bound to be a fuel injected model being year 2000, so unlikely to be ignition timing problems, it depends on wether it's a single or multipoint injection model as to what advice I would give next, but generally speaking spark plugs, valve clearances, throttle body clean would help.

There are many things to check, but I would check the following two things in particular, especially number 1 if your car is fuel injected with an ECU:

1/ With electrical failures and the alternator belt squealing I would make sure the alternator isn't overcharging due to a faulty regulator. If the alternator is overcharging there will be a bigger load on the belt possibly causing it to slip even if adjusted correctly.

2/ Check the fusebox isn't wet/corroded, usually the result of a leaking windscreen.

I have a question for you. I see you're from Iceland so maybe your car has a carburettor. Or does it have single or multi point fuel injection. If you're unsure perhaps you could post a photograph of the engine.

• Like 1

You don't need to take the battery out to check the series resistor on right hand drive models

Iceland is one of those 95% countries where people are driving on the correct side of the road (right side, LH steering wheel). I also doubt very much a single Felicia on carburettor exists on their roads.

Edited by RicardoM

Ok, so the car is still in the same condition. Nothing changed while it was just sitting outside. I was hoping it was just having a fit from the cold, one can hope. 

Blowers are still not working but the car starts right away with the same old initial struggle of the engine which goes away when I give the gas pedal a few taps and rev it up to about 3000. 

Like I said, I am no mechanic at all but your advice have been of great help, highly doubt that I can do anything myself to get it in a drivable mode again. But knowing this can make it easier to find a mechanic and tell him what I believe needs to be done. I have no experience in actually fixing cars, which is a bummer because I can't really afford any thing else than just regular upkeep and basic needs for the car.

Here are some photos however of the engine, fusebox and the mist that formed so much that it was actually just wet, not fogged anymore.

In your opinion, is there anything here in my situation that a newbie can do -DIY- for these problems?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

post-125568-0-71586900-1420830537_thumb.jpg

More photos.

The fusebox seems relatively clean and dry to me, so I'm guessing that there is nothing at fault there? 

The photo of the temp gauge is from when it was sitting for some time and the needle went all the way up there, I turned off the engine upon noticing this.

post-125568-0-16338800-1420830779_thumb.jpg

post-125568-0-15023100-1420830844_thumb.jpg

post-125568-0-11088900-1420830878_thumb.jpg

post-125568-0-08567900-1420830898_thumb.jpg

post-125568-0-18464300-1420831005_thumb.jpg

As expected, it is a 1.3 MPi engine, not carburettor, LHD.

I will reply in no particular order.

Fogging - it is something very annoying and very frequent for Felicia with no A/C during colder seasons. I would like to know too why there is so much condensation and humidity inside after the engine is stopped and the car is parked in cold air. Tens of other cars parked around me, none is fogged, mine is :wall: Same for my friends that own a Skoda Felicia.

The overheating - very dangerous, good thing that you noticed it. By the way, very nice zoom photo on temperature gauge. What digital camera are you using?

Radiator fan and blower fan DIY - you have plenty advice already.

1)Check the fuses indicated below. Replace if bad.

2)Check the radiator fan switch (see location below) Unplug the two wire connector, clean all corrosion.

3)Jump the connector terminals with a wire (see photo). Careful not to touch car body with the jumper. Turn ignition switch on. Radiator fan should start. Switch ignition off, remove jumper, plug back the connector to radiator fan switch.

Rough idle - multiple causes, not a DIY. Maybe you need to clean the throttle body and reset it. Maybe there is a vacuum leak. Maybe some injectors are dirty. Maybe the fuel filter is clogged. Maybe the fuel pump is dying. Etc, etc. You need a mechanic to solve the problem.

Edited by RicardoM

Ok, so I checked the fusebox again and swapped out the yellow fuse for a white fuse in the blower fan and checked the radiator fan fuse and all looked good. 

Then I jumped the connector terminals, first with the wire from an old auxiliary cord and when that did not work I used the metal part from a laundry clip (See photo). It didn't work, neither the radiator fan nor the blower fan came on. 

What do I do now? 

Thank you!

post-125568-0-87139900-1421077693_thumb.jpg

As expected, it is a 1.3 MPi engine, not carburettor, LHD.

I will reply in no particular order.

Fogging - it is something very annoying and very frequent for Felicia with no A/C during colder seasons. I would like to know too why there is so much condensation and humidity inside after the engine is stopped and the car is parked in cold air. Tens of other cars parked around me, none is fogged, mine is :wall: Same for my friends that own a Skoda Felicia.

The overheating - very dangerous, good thing that you noticed it. By the way, very nice zoom photo on temperature gauge. What digital camera are you using?

Radiator fan and blower fan DIY - you have plenty advice already.

1)Check the fuses indicated below. Replace if bad.

attachicon.gif1420831005.jpg

2)Check the radiator fan switch (see location below) Unplug the two wire connector, clean all corrosion.

attachicon.gif1420830878.jpg

3)Jump the connector terminals with a wire (see photo). Careful not to touch car body with the jumper. Turn ignition switch on. Radiator fan should start. Switch ignition off, remove jumper, plug back the connector to radiator fan switch.

attachicon.gif110902184.jpg

Rough idle - multiple causes, not a DIY. Maybe you need to clean the throttle body and reset it. Maybe there is a vacuum leak. Maybe some injectors are dirty. Maybe the fuel filter is clogged. Maybe the fuel pump is dying. Etc, etc. You need a mechanic to solve the problem.

Thank you so much, this helped a lot with jumping the connector terminals. I'm one of those where a picture helps, so much! 

Regarding the photo of the temp gauge, I used my iPhone and put the camera close to the gauge and focused and snapped a picture :) Thank you.

What do I do now?

Now it would be a good time to use a multimeter to check some voltages and to see if the fuses keep blowing. You need a friend that knows how to measure electrical stuff.

My friend, some mechanic! Haha :) 

I'll just take it to a mechanic, I have absolutely no connections to anyone having this equipment, not to my knowledge at least.

Thank you all very much for all the help, I will however let you know what the diagnosis will be from the mechanic.

This forum is great, really helpful :)

My friend, some mechanic! Haha :)

I'll just take it to a mechanic, I have absolutely no connections to anyone having this equipment, not to my knowledge at least.

'This equipment' is a multimeter that costs $10-$20. It is a must for any electrician and it is no rocket science to know how to use it. But hey, it's your decision.

Just out of curiosity, what studies/job do you have at 23? Nothing technical related?

'This equipment' is a multimeter that costs $10-$20. It is a must for any electrician and it is no rocket science to know how to use it. But hey, it's your decision.

Just out of curiosity, what studies/job do you have at 23? Nothing technical related?

So it doesn't need to be specifically car repair related equipment? Sorry, I misunderstood, in English it does sometime sound like rocket science, many of the terminologies for car repair that is. I will give it a look, although it is starting to seem like a trip to the mechanic as I will be needing my Felicia to be working properly again soon, but I wanted to try it for myself first and you all have helped me a lot with that, so thank you :)

I majored in languages and am currently working as a shift manager at a restaurant and as cabin crew for an airline. So no, nothing technical related per say. Most handiwork I do is done with luck and stubbornness.

I majored in languages and am currently working as a shift manager at a restaurant

Doesn't anyone learn in school how to repair or create stuff these days? All you hear is 'I work in PR, in sales or I'm a model'...

Doesn't anyone learn in school how to repair or create stuff these days? All you hear is 'I work in PR, in sales or I'm a model'...

Probably many do. But it seems they are not the ones looking to this forum for help since they know what needs to be done and that is why the PR agents, sale representatives and models are looking to this forum for help I think :) i.e. the ones who did not take this path of education but would still like to try for themselves, with the great help from here of course. 

In Iceland you do have to take workshop in middle school but that was mostly just woodwork and perhaps making a clock haha :) I actually created a really nice shelf unit for my record player the other day, came out great. It doesn't however give me any help in repairing my blower fan and radiator fan.

Back to the topic.

Seeing that the fans did not come on, I could check the voltages but in the end wouldn't I need to have some spare parts to replace the bad ones and maybe some tools for that? Even maybe a space to work in, all I have is my driveway which is covered in snow, would be terrible to loose a clip or a screw.

I guess you are right about people with good mechanics background from school. I wish they were more on this forum so that we can exchange ideas. For instance I have an idea for heating the car interior fast in colder countries like yours without having to use hot plugs (electric heating of engine block). There is plenty of heat in the exhaust system that we waste although we payed for it. 70% from what we pay at the gas pump goes out the engine as heat, we never use it. The exhaust pipes between exhaust manifold and cat converter get to 200-300 C almost instantly after starting the engine. A simple heat exchanger that harvests the radiated heat (not the gases) and feeds it to blower fan  intake would mean instant heat (instead of waiting 15 minutes to heat the engine coolant) for heating the interior of the car and melt the ice on all windows. Of couse, it is mandatory exhaust pipes are leak-free.

Seeing that the fans did not come on, I could check the voltages but in the end wouldn't I need to have some spare parts to replace the bad ones and maybe some tools for that? Even maybe a space to work in, all I have is my driveway which is covered in snow, would be terrible to loose a clip or a screw.

Yeah, you need a decent space to work. In the end It all depends on the money, how much it costs to pay a mechanic to replace a fuse or to unscrew the four screws of the rad fan to change it instead of diy...

PS and OT

I am a great fan of your country for reasons I could explain in private if you will.

Edited by RicardoM

I guess you are right about people with good mechanics background from school. I wish they were more on this forum so that we can exchange ideas. For instance I have an idea for heating the car interior fast in colder countries like yours without having to use hot plugs (electric heating of engine block). There is plenty of heat in the exhaust system that we waste although we payed for it. 70% from what we pay at the gas pump goes out the engine as heat, we never use it. The exhaust pipes between exhaust manifold and cat converter get to 200-300 C almost instantly after starting the engine. A simple heat exchanger that harvests the radiated heat (not the gases) and feeds it to blower fan  intake would mean instant heat (instead of waiting 15 minutes to heat the engine coolant) for heating the interior of the car and melt the ice on all windows. Of couse, it is mandatory exhaust pipes are leak-free.

Yeah, you need a decent space to work. In the end It all depends on the money, how much it costs to pay a mechanic to replace a fuse or to unscrew the four screws of the rad fan to change it instead of diy...

PS and OT

I am a great fan of your country for reasons I could explain in private if you will.

Did not know that so much of the gas we buy goes to heating the engine, I used to wait for the car to get warm with much anticipation. During winter in Iceland however you get so used to the cold and seeing that I haven't had a car for about 3 years until just now, I don't mind if the car is cold, just the fact that I can get faster between places during the cold is a lifesaver :) Interesting information though, thank you :)

That was my original worry, it can't be a good work space to do this work in the cold, in the snow and often in the dark haha. I will give some mechanics a call, this shouldn't be too expensive seeing as these are "luxury" problems, so to speak. The main bills are the ones to get your car driving again. Or at least I hope this is the case. 

You are? Yes, please do :) Send me a message and tell me, have you been here before?