Unlock boot with remote keyfob - doors relock after 20 seconds?

Gti Fly

Something I've noticed that I think doesn't seem right (it's been like this forever on this car...)

So if I goto my car,   unlock the car via the remote central locking fob, then

Open boot,  put my stuff in,  within say 20seconds,  the car doors will relock,  but I've still got the boot open, loading my stuff in...

Now why does the car relock the doors - surely it should know the boot is opened, and therefore there is no need to re-arm/relook the doors automatically before I open one of the doors.

If the boot lights work as they should when I open and close the boot,  that surely means the car knows that the boot is opened, and therefore it shouldn't auto relock the doors again.

If i were careless and lobbed my keys in the boot, and shut the boot, I could get locked out of the car?!

Is this a quirk of Fabias ?   (mine is a 2002 Comfort?)

I understand that if I open a door, yes it won't relock.   I can't understand why it'll relock the doors though if I open the boot first,   ie loading up the shopping..

Anyway,  I have a basic two button fob.  It's not a flip out style key either(like on Golfs),  just a regular skoda key with two buttons on it.   Both my keys are the same style.

It's a 1.9TDI 2002 Comfort  model fabia

Think it's a failed boot microswitch, mine was the same

Cool,  in which case where is this microswitch located please?

I already changed the boot latch mechanism last year for a brand new one from VW/Skoda (the thing which releases the boot catch/latch)

Think it's a failed boot microswitch, mine was the same

That sounds logical to me.

I noticed today on my FL yeti, if you only remote open the boot, load it, then close the boot, it locks the boot again.

Can be a good feature, but...

Just don't put your coat in there with your keys in...

No, I believe this is a fabia thing (in fact I think it's a whole VW group thing), which is why you hear about people unlocking their cars, leaving keys in the boot, then it relocking.  The only way to stop it from re-locking is before you open the boot, just open and close one of the side doors. :)

It doesn't do this on my mk4 golf. If I open the boot via the remote (two button remote), the doors won't relock. So there's no chance of locking keys into the boot.

Of course if I don't open any doors or boot within say 30seconds , the alarm will rearm and lock the car, which of course is normal.

Strange how my fabia is different. . If it's how they are then so be it. But if mine is faulty, then it would be good to know how to go about mending it.

Mine doesn't do it. The central locking stays unlocked no matter how long the boot is open for.

My key is also just the standard two-button (non-flip) key.

• Like 1

OK, there are three wires going to the plug on the boot catch.

Brown = earth

Brown/green = boot light switch

Brown/black = central locking switch (tells the car that the boot is open/closed). In your case, this part of the switch might not be working. This would explain why your boot light still works as they seem to be separately controlled.

You can see the wires in this pic....

image.jpg

• Like 1

Many years ago, when the Fabia first came onto the market, my wife and I attended a launch party. This boot locking feature was described to us as a safety feature for ladies loading shopping into the boot in say a supermarket car park.

Apparently, some ladies had been attacked in their own car when an intruder had entered and hid behind the driver's seat whilst the lady was loading shopping into the boot. the idea was that the car doors would lock automatically

in order to prevent access to ne're-do-wells.

Now whether it was true that this was a safety device or an excuse from Skoda to mask a fault, I really couldn't say.

What I can tell you is that if, or instance, I bring the car round to the house and my wife wants to load shopping bags into the boot, the boot can't be opened unless the driver first opens his/her door first.

(Another safety feature - or just another quirk??)

What I can tell you is that if, or instance, I bring the car round to the house and my wife wants to load shopping bags into the boot, the boot can't be opened unless the driver first opens his/her door first.

(Another safety feature - or just another quirk??)

That appears to be normal...

rsz_1untitled.png

My se re locks with the boot open and my wife fabia 2 Monte Carlo does the same as well

How strange. Maybe it's something that some of them have and others don't :think: