Metallic klunk / bang when going over bumps

Hi all and Happy New Year!

Just noticed yesterday, as a new year's present, that my 2007 vrs has developed a metallic sounding klunk / bang when going over speed bumps. 

Description:

- comes from the rear of the car (i'd say rear left)

- happens when the rear wheels have passed the speedbump and go down, at the point they are on the ground again and the rear body comes down as well, the sound is heard

- it sounds very similar to a hitting a metallic drum with your fist

- there might be some small after-rattle too

- on the road it also happens if going over bigger bumps at speed

I checked the exhaust, manually shaking it in all directions and it doesn't seem to be the culprit. I also shook the heatshield above the exhaust, also not. Anyway the sound is deeper than what the heatshield would make, it's really like something is hitting on (hollow) metal. Haven't had time to jack it up and properly look underneath yet, plus it's freezing cold :)

Ideas?

Edited by jmf

Thanks for the replies: I checked the spare wheel (forgot to mention). While the jack/stuff recipient inside it rattles a bit, it's not the same rattle. Will try to jack the car up later today and inspect the spring. The springs are Eibach ProKit btw, about one and a half years old.

ARB bushes?

Depending where you are. eg, my patch of Fenland kills springs very fast.

Age of vehicle?   Could be all the bushes are on their way out.

All or any of the above suggestions could be causing noises  -  knowing details helps. 

We are just guessing, based on how common it is for stuff to break/wear/collapse.

How do I get at the shock covers?

@nickguzzi: car is 2007

Just look under the rear arches at the dampers. There is a metal sleeve that can come loose and rattles around.

@nickguzzi: car is 2007

Ah! a 2007.  A good year, nearly as good as the late '06's.  But it is 7 years old and some of the bushes could be starting to go soft or split.

A thorough inspection of all of them and any metal bits which are in contact with, part of or in close proximity should reveal your problem. 

That should give you something to do over the weekend.  Hope you get it sorted.

Being old and decrepit, I don't roll about under cars.  When I had a noise problem last year, I took it to a decent and sympathetic garage.  It took two of us a while to find the bit of broken spring, and to make note of a couple of bushing which were past the possibility of optimum performance.

No updates yet as it was freezing cold and work kept me until night: no fun to take off wheels at minus temperatures at night :)

I do have big plans for the weekend, I'll come back with the findings.

Check the springs all round.

I had a metallic clanging which sounded like it was coming from the middle to rear of the car. Turned out to be a broken top of a front spring. The broken bit was tangled in the remaining spring and would clang. Actually very had to spot without taking the wheel off.

This was however following a massive bang from going over a pothole so I had some suspicion as to what had happened.

So, fondled with the car today: after looking at the suggested culprits which thankfully were all good I finally found it. The round metallic mud guard (?) behind the rear left brake disk had come loose of all three screws and was rattling. Due to it being thin and relatively big I guess it amplified the effect. For the moment a poor man's fix was done: drilled two holes in it, one top one bottom, and fastened it with some wire. It also suffered a bit of bending on some sides.

Any idea how much the thing costs? Though to be honest I'm more scared about the screws being rusted in...

Edited by jmf