Cold Starting Issues - Running out of ideas!

The mystery deepens, several members in another thread report that oil in the fuel filter is normal for a PD engine.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/347424-fuel-filter-grossness/

It doesnt sound right to me, I have a TDI (rotary pump) AHU engine and the clear fuel line to the distributor is always pristine clear.

Either we have several PD engines in initial stage of injector/tandem pump failure or BlueVRSTom has been subject to some dealer BS.

It will be interesting to see what Skoda UK say. Any news??

The mystery deepens, several members in another thread report that oil in the fuel filter is normal for a PD engine.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/347424-fuel-filter-grossness/

It doesnt sound right to me, I have a TDI (rotary pump) AHU engine and the clear fuel line to the distributor is always pristine clear.

Either we have several PD engines in initial stage of injector/tandem pump failure or BlueVRSTom has been subject to some dealer BS.

It will be interesting to see what Skoda UK say. Any news??

Just to clarify, oil in the fuel isn't normal on a PD. What usually causes the 'normal' fuel filter blackening on a PD is black soot from the combustion process getting past the injector seals and into the fuel. This soot in the fuel (within reason) is reckoned to be normal on a PD as it is never possible to seal the injectors 100%, even on a totally healthy PD engine. Black oil in the fuel signifies a problem, black soot in the fuel doesn't.

You won't ever see this phenomenon on a rotary pump or common rail diesel as there is physically no way for soot or oil to get into the fuel on those. It's unique to PDs.

Edited by nick74

• 2 weeks later...

After a long wait I finally pick my car up tomorrow morning. It is now 100% fixed but I have to drive it gently for the first 1k miles.

Skoda UK were really helpful and did look into my case in detail however they were unable to give a good will contribution on a number of factors. I did try my best however they've put my case down to the car being mapped and being put under un-due pressure ( bull**** I know, especially as i have the best map on it available ) but even when I argued on that they then stated that the recent injectors must of caused the problem etc and basically would admit liability at all. Worth a try though and I did give it a good go.

So I'm glad I've/we've finally got to the bottom of this problem and I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions, advice and help throughout the passing months.

So root cause of starting problem, cylinder head.

Root cause, bad workmanship and cutting corners, changing injectors and not changing seals and reusing stretch bolts leading to major damage.

But we live and learn, its been quite an educational journey and very interesting to boot.

Hope your newly restored wagon gives you years of faultless service now, do let us know after a couple of months if its still running fine.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2000 miles since the work has been carried and all is/has gone well...however

Yet another problem which I hope is an easy fix, very occasionally when I slow down and select 2nd gear let's say I then go to accelerate ( maybe approaching a roundabout ) and the engine has cut out.

No judder, no noise, no dash board lights.

I then press the clutch back in and start the engine again and it fires into life and continues like nothing has happened.

This has occurred twice now. Could this down to injection timing or something related to the work that has been carried out.

Thanks guys. I hope it's cheap :/

So the cold starting issue that plagues some PD170's can now be directly related to the injector recall. Not that Skoda UK will ever admit this.

By the way Tom, my PD170 also cut out a few times in the exact same fashion as yours did. It is mentioned in the longer cold starting thread linked earlier.

I simply assumed that it was related to all of the other issues the car had since the injectors were changed. Only ever did it twice though and at exactly the same point on my 60 mile commute, leaving a dual carriageway and down changing for a roundabout.

How much has the poor quality injector change cost you in total, for the new cylinder head etc?

Just out of curiosity, has the MPG displayed on the dash suddenly dropped from where it always used to be? This was another symptom of the injector change that the dealer couldn't answer or were able to rectify. The actual MPG (calculated manually) was as it always was, just the onboard computer started reading much less.

I thought I was alone until I read this recently...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/351429-am-i-crazy-or-is-35-mpg-in-a-pd170-crp/?hl=+pd170%20+mpg

Edited by silver1011

So are we to make assumptions here then that the hundreds of people that have moaned about their car turning to **** after the injector change, was actually caused by the injector change?? or because the car them became poorly mapped?? I`m sure i remember reading something on here from Ben at shark suggesting they had a MAP that 100% fixed the issues?? Either way Skoda need to start listening and maybe doing something about it!!! I also have the cut out issues mentioned here, 3 times its happened to me approaching a roundabout!!!

Anyone feel a campaign coming on against Skoda UK?? I`m sure if enough of us complain someone will listen, maybe a little article in the press would be nice negative publicity for them, I can hear all the old jokes coming out again!!!

Why not start a new thread with your problem, if you suspect your injectors to be loose or the seals have failed, it is an easy fault to diagnose.

I`m sure I started one way back, or jumped on one early when i first started having this issue...

Having just read through this thread and seeing the BS that Skoda UK have said about the car being remapped etc, I feel the need on behalf of all other owners to have a go myself now, given that my car is standard and never been modified in any way!! see what BS excuse they can come up with to refuse me anything!! I will of course keep you up to date

• Like 2

Email sent to SKoda UK, lets see what I get back now!!!

Out of curiousity would you feel okay sending me a copy of the email?

Obviously take out any private info ( name, reg etc )

:)

Out of curiousity would you feel okay sending me a copy of the email?

Obviously take out any private info ( name, reg etc )

:)

Would love to but I did it on the online submission thing so wasnt an actual email as such.. still not had a response which is no surprise as yet, ill give it until it reaches what would be 24 hours and then send another!!  

in regard to why the engine cuts out, and a possible reason for starting issues, I was told it could be a Crankshaft positioning sensor?? I understand the PD engine has 2 sensors and if one fails it defaults to a certain value (could be totally wrong here of course) ive never looked into it though as for me when this starting issue occurs i just keep my foot in it so to speak and crank the ****** over until it eventually starts!! swear and curse a lot whilst doing it too!!! 

either way im dead set on Skoda at least acknowledging that this engine has issues as a result of the recall.. worst case is they get some negative press and ill be sure the Skoda jokes start to re-appear!!! im sick of defending them now!!