Handbrrake Light Flashing

DougS

Hi There,

My handbrake light started flashing this morning and beeping 3 times.

I have searched around and it seems pretty conclusive that this is the brake fluid level.

Would most people agree, also would it be stupid to drive home 23 miles, should I get a recovery in your opinion?

Here is a video of the flashing if that helps.

Thanks

Doug

Got a Halfords nearby? Or anywhere else you can get some Dot4 fluid? Easy enough to just top it up and then get it to a mechanic. Assuming its not a critical fault and its all spilling out, but you can check that by looking for any leaks.

Need to look at lunchtime. Couldn't see the level as it was dark and had to run in to work.

If not could it be another warning like pads?

The pads don't have a sensor as far as I know but if they are low the piston travels further making the brake fluid level drop.

get a decent funnel with a looooong spout, the brake fluid reservoir is a pita to get to.

Pads wearing will cause the fluid to drop anyway, but it should not drop enough to cause the low fluid warning. Then when you replace the pads the fluid is pushed back into the reservoir. If you had to add fluid due to pad wear then you'll have way to much fluid when you put new ones in.

I believe the only cause of that light flashing is low fluid, if its got that low then you may have a slow leak from a joint or brake pipe/line.

So probably not a good idea to drive it? Could the aa bring fluid?

I'd be disappointed if they didn't have some on all their vehicles.

Edit: Whilst this isn't an encouragement to drive the vehicle if it can be avoided, the braking system is designed so that a single leak should - at least initially - only affect half the system, so your braking system should still have 50% effectiveness while there is some fluid left in the reservoir, as I understand it.

Thanks wino. Yeah that makes sense. I'm going to wuss out and get the aa to come out. I pay them enough money! I did have a car years ago where all the fluid poured out and the brakes failed just as I got to the garage...but that was a rubbish car...just leaves a bad memory.

Just checked and the level is down to the bottom of the top bit of the resvoir if that makes sense...

Low or what?20150107_123500.jpg

The flashing (!) light is due to low brake fluid.

Get under the car when it is dry and check for any leaks around the calipers, it may be that a joint of a bleed nipple has failed.

That reservoir does look very low. I wouldn't suggest driving with it as low as that.

I had a similar experience after bleeding the brakes and not quite tightening a nipple back up properly.

JRJG