wind screen wipers

Hi, I have just got Rapid se connect about 2 months ago, it was first registered in June 14. I had a lot of gunge on front screen so tried to clean off, on trying to clean wiper blade I found I could not lift the drivers side up because the bonnet lid was stopping it. I realised then that I had to lift bonnet up and then could lift wiper blade, amazingly the blade lifted up inside the engine compartment underneath bonnet lid, is this the way it should be? or has the wiper blade been  fitted incorrectly.

Thanks for any info

Look in the manual, instructions on how to engage the Service position for raising changing wiper blades are there.

HI just tried that suggestion but what I take as being position 4 only turns washer fluid on. Am I right in thinking that position 4 is down towards the floor ?

HI just tried that suggestion but what I take as being position 4 only turns washer fluid on. Am I right in thinking that position 4 is down towards the floor ?

Yes, as shown in the manual, position 4 is down. Sounds like you are doing it with either the car running or the ignition on. Do it right after switching the car off.

Hi Folks,

My wipers blades have been smearing for some time and while they physically appear ok, but despite trying various windscreen wash variations (final one being VAG own wash). Still smearing :devil: :devil: (in the good old days you could see when they were knacked/split or torn)

They are approaching 2 year old (March)

I have now ordered a set of Aerotwin blades from wiperblades.com for £19.35 + £2.75 delivery

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/rapid-years-2012-to-2015/bosch-a556s-aerotwin-wiper-blade/

Auto Express winners

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/60009/bosch-aerotwin-wiper-blades-tested

Anyone got thoughts and preferences on wipers and windscreen washes?? :nerd: :nerd:

Buy cheap buy twice as they say.

I've tried several brands over the years and there is only one decent one - Bosch.

Definitely with you on the buy cheap, buy twice view. However, that's exactly why I buy the Michelin blades - quality product made to very exacting standards. Costco's ability to discount them is not an indicator of them being cheap, but rather good old economies of scale (they sell them worldwide now).

Bosch blades have, in my opinion, gone downhill in recent years (though still far better than Halfords own-brand) and the Michelin Stealth outperform the Bosch Aero blades. I even pulled new Bosch blades off my last car after just a month due to poor rain performance and juddering. The current pricing on the Bosch blades is, in my view, an indicator of brand inflation only rather than quality.

Goodyear blades were also good, but Costco has stopped importing them from the US in favour of sourcing the Michelin ones and exporting to the US.

Had a lot of windscreen smearing associated with using the wipers to start with when new, so cleaned the screen with autoglym glass cleaning spray followed by a vigorous application of their glass polish. Seems to have got rid of the worst of what was on the glass, although I still get some minor smearing where the short nearside blade stops its sweep, blades are also slightly noisy but there's no juddering.

TP

• 2 weeks later...