Annoying Door Rattle

Hi guys

Had my superb 2010 170 elegance for a few months and love it

One very annoying thing the drivers door at approx. 75mph starts to rattle. Sounds like a small bird chirping away. Once I reduce the speed it goes away. If I go faster then it just carries on?

You guys have been great with info before and wondered if there is anything that springs to mind that might cause it?

I have checked for loose fittngs etc and all seems ok?

Thanks in advance

Could be your door seals. Try some of this stuff: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=361112043052

Yup, that was the problem with mine and on similar advise in this great forum, this cured it 100% and have used it on all the cars in the family. It also stops the doors / boot lid seals becoming "sticky".

It could also be the door lock itself that's rattling; spray some 3 in 1 silicone grease into the door catch on the side of the door....

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks all

Just got sone silicone spray and some spray grease for the locks .

Just applied the silicone stuff to the seals and noticed the bottom door seal was unstuck so also glued it back.

Also did other bits with silicone like the load cover and loads quieter and more slick now

Gotta wait for the glue to set so will let you know how I get on so fingers crossed :)

Thanks again

Hi

So done the silicone thing and still there. Thinking it must be in the door card?

It only happens above a certain sped so guessing either there is a gap and the wind is getting in or the speed is the right frequency to set it off

As soon as I slow done it stops (:

Not keen removing the card card unless anyone can point me in the direction of a how to guide or a exploded diagram?

Cheers

Gonna sound silly but try this,

When you wash it check the scuttle panel for debris and without getting water inside hose or carefully powerwash the gap between the wing and the door,

Also when it happens hold the headrest and seat belt clip (seperate times obviously) sometimes sounds travel and they don't sound like where they are coming from, I had this with the Insignia, sounded like the parcel shelf ended up being the front headrests, if it is simply apply a bit of lube to the poles and push up and down a few times as if you were adjusting the height.

The real silly one is the keyring bouncing about, nobody ever considers it but it happens.

Edited by Supurbia

Not silly at all and good advice

Funnily enough I thought I had cracked it a couple of weeks ago as found a big key trapped under the Bluetooth panel, fished it out but alas rattle still there

Found loads of random stuff like a passport photo, about £2.50 :) and about a million pens, the joy of buying used :)

I think I will go round and do another sweep and in the process lubricate everything now I have the stuff to do it

Like you say it sounds like its coming from the door but is so hard to pinpoint and could be anything. At least it is consistent I guess?

Can I just check something I got the silicone spray from halfords and spray grease. Was it correct to use the silicone spray on the door rubbers? In the process of getting the other gummy stuff recommended

Cheers

The silicon spray would be fine if you have nothing else. It will give the rubber a nice look, but apparently dries out the rubber over time as it attracts dirt and dust. The gummi pflege is non-silicon based, and is supposed to nourish and protect the rubber.

Remember to use it not just on the door seals, but all around the window seals and the rubber rain channels above the windows - as the latter also come into contact with the car body, and probably the most in need of rejuvenating as they probably get the most abuse from the elements.

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

Fixed it

Turns out it was the inner door latch. Put some electrical tape round the bracket to tighten it up and now has gone away. Will get it adjusted at some point but least I know the source and have a cure :)

Got some of the gummi stuff and done all the inner and outer seals and the load cover (have the estate) and loads quieter in general now so thanks for the tip and would recommend this stuff

Thanks

Hi

Had the door adjusted today thinking it would be solved, now worse than ever

But finally worked out the rattle is behind the door panel so gonna book it in and get the door card removed and try and get to locate the source, luckily own had it a few months so should be covered by the used warranty

Figers crossed as is slowly driving me nuts