1.4 or 1.2 tsi

Hi Folks. The time has come to retire the Vrs (too bumpy a ride and 4 yrs old)

I have been looking at a new elegance and I'm quite impressed. The problem  i have is i'm undecided on whether to go and change fuel with the 1.2 or 1.4 tsi.

I have driven the 1.2 and it is very impressive with plenty of go, not quite vrs like but not bad either. The salesman informed me that they sell very few 1.4s as they are not that popular and there was not one available to test drive,  I would like the extra power of the 1.4 but does it warrant a near 1700 euro extra on the 1.2.  Any advice on engines, fuel consumption etc would be appreciated.

Note: I inquired about the 1.4 150np ACTengine (VW, Seat, Audi) but the salesman had not heard of it!!

Oh and the bumpy ride is mainly attributed to the horrible Irish roads. 

I agree the 1.2 is a great little engine, more than capable in an Octavia.

However you need to drive a 1.4 for yourself to appreciate the increased power. It is quite noticeable.

Hi,

I changed "fuel" from a 2005 2.0ltr diesel (140hp), and got a 2010 1.4Tsi petrol (122 hp)......and so far I love it!....I changed from a diesel mainly because of lowish miles driven and not wanting any DPF problems re newer diesels.

The 1.4 averages 48 mpg, (actual measured tank to tank since I have had it). I find the ride comfortable, (especially compared to the VRS I used to have before my last diesel).

I find the performance very good, particulalry considering its only a 1.4 ltr. During normal driving its not much differnet to the 2ltr diesel, but you do notice it most "up hills" when you have a few bodies on board. I did not test drive the 1.2 as I occasionaly tow a small caravan and thought it would not be powerfull enough.

Compared to the diesel I find it incredibly quite and smooth, and initially kept thinking I had stalled it at rafic lights.

...all in all very pleased with the 1.4...and I am suprised they are not more popular. Hope its not a problem when I ned to sell it!

Edited by Stubod

I got the 1.4 Tsi and its a great car to drive (122hp) believe the newer ones are 140hp. I previously had a 1.7 diesel astra for 5 years and although it was great on fuel it was poor on power at only 101hp.

Get the 1.4 as if you choose the 1.2 you will always be wishing you'd had the bigger engine.

Is it a mk3 you're thinking of buying as you've posted this in the mk2 section. If it is you'll be better asking a mod to move this to the mk3 section of the forum. Personally I would get the 1.4 mk3. Coming from the 122ps 1.4tsi mk2 the 1.2 mk3 is probably its equivelent and I think it would probably be a step too far, but as ever each person is different. Did you get a decent test drive in the 1.2 including trying it out on similar drives you will use it for yourself with the same number of passengers?

Petrol engines are getting smaller.

10 years ago a 1.0 / 1.1 / 1.3 litre engine was reserved for only the very smallest or basic cars.

This is now no longer the case with turbo and super chargers.

The all new Mondeo is available with a 1.0 litre engine.

I too was sceptical until I drove a 1.2 TSi Yeti. It wasn't far off my 2.0 TDi.

A mondy with a 1.0, like you say, it'd need to turbo or supercharged but would it still not need the nuts revved off it to get decent pull especially uphill. I'd need a go in something like that to experience it.....I wonder what reliability and durability are like

..what does impress me with the smaller engine is the revs per mph.....I was expecting the engine to be a bit of a "screamer"...but not a bit of it...still low reving...I think about 25-30mph / 1000 rpm..(I will double check next time a drive it)....and it will pull from 1400 rpm in top, but if you do "give it a bit of welly" it seems to come into its own around the 3k mark...