Stewpotz Mk1 Fabia vRS

Stewpotz

Ordered some carbon collective platinum wheels to coat the alfas before I finally get them sorted (hopefully tomorrow if I get it off work).

A little sure does go a long way, I gave the faces and the barrels 3 coats each and still have around 1/3 of the bottle left.

post-108825-0-13900100-1465229612_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-82626000-1465229612_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-51102300-1465229613_thumb.jpg

Going to drop my spiders off for a refurb and get them to put the toyos onto these.

And the Supersports are finally on!!!!!!!

post-108825-0-70996800-1465399791_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-51041500-1465399792_thumb.jpg

I do like the look but we have a major problem...............

They do not go over brembo 4 pots!!

Need a minimum of 25mm spacer which pushes it out waaay too far!

absolutely fine on stock (or maybe 312mm) but I have fitted with 10mm spacers up front just to be sure.

Think these will have to go soon as I cant be without my awesome stopping power, almost crashed when i put stock 288mm back on as I am used to being able to just flex my big toe and the car will pretty much stop dead, now though

• Like 1

Well spiders were ready last Monday, but they powder coated them the wrong colour.

Told them I wanted to go back to silver and this was put in the book, but when I went to collect they had redone them in the anthracite instead...fail!

Anyway, this gave me time to have a look at the brembos before refitting.

Left both callipers submerged in brake fluid for 2 days, agitating every few hours during the day.

Most of the green enamel paint was gone as well as the vht red paint, yellow powder coat and the base red powder coat (guy who had them before certainly couldn't make his mind up ;))

Then used some of my starchem paint stripper to get down through the rest of the paint/powder then attacked it with a combination of a wire drill attachment and my dremel to get as much off as possible, and anything which wouldn't budge had its edges smoothed.

Noticed a small amount of fluid leaking from between the 2 pieces which turned out to be a worn o-ring inside, from research online this is not a user replaceable part and brembo do not sell them separately...£2.99 o-ring set from Maplin and there is the perfect one included (20 in fact!)

Whilst in 2 pieces, I removed all 8 pad guides as they were causing the pads to stick, the T27 screws were well and truly stuck, but a combination of a dremel cutting disk, hammer and screwdriver and impact driver got then all out.

Decided that I wasn't going to deal with this again at a later date, so every hole was drilled out to 6.3mm, and helicoiled so if is now stainless steel screw into a stainless thread.

Each half has now been etch primed currently drying for 48-72 hours to be sure it is fully hard.

Went through 2 400ml cans to do all parts, including the mounting brackets.

Edited by Stewpotz

Pics from etch primer stage

post-108825-0-83106400-1466522418_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-42279600-1466522420_thumb.jpg

Left them until today when i gave them their topcoat....

post-108825-0-28189600-1466522661_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-97476000-1466522662_thumb.jpg

Candy Purple.  Leaving them the same 48-72 hours before giving them a good lacquer coating.

In the meantime, had a look under the front bumper.........

post-108825-0-01933100-1466522658_thumb.jpg

post-108825-0-64427500-1466522659_thumb.jpg

Plenty of room ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Wheels are back from 'refurbishment'......if you could call it that, not exactly happy as can be seen in this thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/405463-smartwheels-manchester-avoid/#entry4667697

Anyway, no news on my new job yet, a mate who is out there working for emirates now is having a word with HR about my application.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a drive down to Mitchell's Skoda yesterday for the meet, and could hear a knocking/banging noise over bumps/uneven road.

Jacked up the front today and straight away found the problem. Carrier-caliper screw MIA...

Replaced with a nice new one, with a drop more thread lock on it to make sure it doesn't make a break for it again.

Whilst I did that, thought i might as well change the other screw and the same for the other side...just to be safe.

Wound the coilovers up a bit as i couldn't live with scraping over speed bumps any longer....(how you people do it is beyond me ;))

No more knocking now :)

• Like 1

Had some more knocking since sorting the above out, and i thought it was my droplink(s) as when i went over  a speed bump it was fine (both wheels at the same time) but if 1 was raised berfore the other then it would knock.

Anyway, bought some Mondeo shortened droplinks from ebay and they fit perfectly, 35mm shorter than stock fabia drop links and are really tight and strong.

Time will tell how good they are, as the ones which came with my coilovers covered less than 1k miles before needing to be replaced (rubber perished and rolled back showing insides, and non-lock nut caused thread damage).

Things will slowly start coming off as I put it back to standard (or as standard as I can) so quite a bit will be put up for sale in the coming weeks.