Sat Nav Head Unit

Depending on your definition of reasonable the Columbus unit is very good and there are a couple of relatively up to date versions sale at 400 quid or so in the classifieds on here, which is a pretty good price.

Nothing wrong with the MFD2 either, but the Columbus is newer and if you can stretch to £400 I would recommend them. (You do, however, need to be aware that of your car is early 2007 or older, you may need a CANBUS upgrade or a software update to the unit to avoid battery drain with a Columbus).

id go after market as the price of the columbus doesnt include the possible controller replacement you would need to fix the battery drain issue etc, and you dont get many features really, whereas the ANS810 i got for mine does bluetooth, sat nav, has USB lead and IPOD connectivity, works with parking sensors, door CUE etc etc and all for £250, better still when the NAV is out of date you download a new update for free of MyGPS or FIXMYGPS... so much more for your money!! choice is yours though and for all those that say aftermarket is a bad idea, ive had mine well over 18 months without an issue!!

I think that is one of the problems with aftermarket.  They MAY be good units and may even look OEM (Dread1977 has obviously found one) but its a bit of a punt as you won't find people who know much about the individual units and their issues, whereas for OEM you will, even though they are generally more expensive as pointed out.  It may be an expensive experiment to find out.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/141328501626?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

I've been looking at this for my 2005 octavia elegance but not too sure if it's plug and play and if it will drain the battery with out coding via vcds and if parking sensors will be displayed?

Ive been looking at similar units too only because I want an android unit to run Torque as my ANS810 runs WINCE... however as mentioned its not easy to find decent support for these after market ones (XDA developers sometimes is good for them)

however the ANS series has a massive thread here

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/ans-810-ans-510-proper-rns-510-alternative-73179-59.html 

There is also the new DNS range which has more features and is faster than the ANS, but still in early ish stages of development..  (means you can find the ANS cheaper and maybe barter for it too!!)

For the money does the headunit that I put a link to seem any good for the money? And will it actually display parking sensors and the climate control images?

Only thing id say about the one you displayed in the link is that ive not heard a single good thing about Ersin or whatever they are called... apparently reliability is an issue on those..

I'm also considering sat nav but it's so difficult to decide which one. I really like look of http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171530072297?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - copy of Columbus; and the fact it runs on Android is plus for me but to be honest I'm little worried order anything like this directly from China.

Let us know what you went with and small review would be also appreciated.

Looks really good Dread1977, what year is your car? Was this easy to fit? I've been seriously looking into the ANS this week and am liking what I'm seeing!!

Mines a 2007 fella, was easy to fit depending on where you want the ipod and usb cable to live... literally a 10 min job.. the hardest part you will find is hiding the ISO block so it doesnt foul the back of the stereo... you can tuck it away over the pplastic on the left of the stereo, its tight but the block does fit..

I would say the best idea is to remove the glove box which is 5 screws from memory as it gives you much better access to that side bit to feed the leads through.. honestly though its not a hard job.. depending what stereo you currently have you may need a new facia but thats is.. holding the unit in is 4 torx screws and thats all

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, quick update on the fitting of the ANS620 that I got from icebox auto for a cost of £250 delivered. I followed the advice of the thread and it is plug and play! The only difficulty was pushing the HU back, so I bought a mini hacksaw and cut the corner off of the plastic surround inside the dash. I had the top heater vent out and dropped the glovebox which gave me easy access. Also I stuck the GPS antenna to the underside of the dash just forward of the heater. I can't stress how easy this was to fit and overall I'm very happy with the change its made and it is a very good HU to operate for the money!!

Cheers again to Dread1977!!

Pleasure, hope you like it and a reminder to check the firmware you are running as it may be an old version... VWwatercooled forum should steer you right as the firmware is the same across most of the ANS range I believe

I very nearly took a hacksaw to that bit you were on about too but just managed to manoeuvre the block through to the other side, thats one of the reasons I took the glovebox out

glad I could help anyway!!