Need help in removing air pockets from cooling system

Good morning dear BRISKODIANS,

I have a 1997 Felicia GLX fitted with a 136M engine (model year 2000) with the carburettor and distributor from the previous 135 engine on. Finally and after almost 168K miles the water pump started leaking coolant and needed replacement. I replaced it and planning to post a guide with pictures for the users of this great forum since this is the second time I did this job (first was on my 1999 Felicia) and it was much easier this time.

I just need your advice on how to completely remove any air pockets from the cooling system after complete drainage including the heater matrix.

Thanks again

Park the car slightly uphill or raise front axle about 20 cm (8 inches).

Remove coolant temperature sensor.

Start filling the expansion tank with coolant.

When coolant with no bubbles starts to flow through the hole, install the temperature sensor.

Place the cap on expansion tank.

Close the bonnet.

Start the engine and let it run at idle till the radiator fan kicks in.

Stop the engine and let it cool down completely.

Add coolant in the expansion tank till half way between MIN and MAX marks.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

Thank you RicardoM, I really appreciate the clear instructions and to be honest I did that and actually followed the steps except for parking uphill whilst filling the expansion tank which makes the difference.

Following your steps ensures that coolant temperature sensor hole in the thermostat plastic housing is the highest point in the cooling circuit and most important higher than the heater matrix which is the trickiest to fill I guess. Great and thanks again friend.

One more thing, does idling the engine after doing the previous steps whilst the expansion tank cap is open help more to make it 100% free from air pockets?? I did that and saw air bubbles going in the tank via the thin hose coming from the thermostat housing.

In addition to the above valuable information you have received if you're still struggling I know this sounds bizarre remove one of the pipes feeding the heater find a large funnel that will fit the pipe lift it as high up as you can and fill with water or water antifreeze mix when water runs out of the heater through the connection that you have removed the pipe Allow it to Run for a little while to get rid of any air locks then  quickly remove funnel from pipe (usually resulting in sticky antifreeze and water running down your arm) and reconnect to the heater 

Clive

• Like 1

One more thing, does idling the engine after doing the previous steps whilst the expansion tank cap is open help more to make it 100% free from air pockets?? I did that and saw air bubbles going in the tank via the thin hose coming from the thermostat housing.

By putting the cap, we allow the cooling system to build pressure and 'squash' any air pocket. The water pump will then 'push' the smaller bubbles inside expansion tank, the only place they can escape.

• 2 months later...

Bagpipes cover is the Contact Person for the air bubbles out of the cooling cycle and the failure of any of the valve cover Bagpipes lead to serious problems for the engine