Spare wheel

The car was bought second-hand so didn't have the option to spec' a spare wheel. Hence looking to put that right now. And have a back-up option should anything accidentally get kerbed...

The other question is will a 'full size' spare i.e. a Gemini + tyre fit in the boot well - or is this why the option for a spare wheel is a narrow space saver.

Does anyone have a link for buying a new 18" Anthracite Gemini? - couldn't see them on the Skoda eshop site

http://www.eskoda-shop.cz/rozmer-R18/5937-Kolo-z-lehk%C3%A9-slitiny-GEMINI-7-5Jx18-5E0601025AJ-HA7

This was my post on the Gemini fitting in the well:

Spent a happy few minutes today taking one of my OE Gemini 18" alloy wheels with the usual 225/40 tyre and trying it in the vRS estate wheel well. The good news, as posted before, is that it fits fine and boot floor flap closes, though the flap does rest directly on the tyre sidewall with no margin. The slightly bad news is that the jack kit in its hard foam packaging won't drop down into the well of this wheel but sits on top of the rim (just as it does on the space saver). So if the well contained a full sized wheel I would have to put the jack kit into the boot . For anyone contemplating a permanent full size spare, it should be possible to trim down the foam and make it fit inside the wheel rather than sit on the rim. Pics show the Gemini in place, the boot floor then fully closed, and the way the jack kit sits on top of the wheel rim.

attachicon.gifFull size wheel in well_1_30Dec13.jpgattachicon.gifFull size wheel in well_2_30Dec13.jpgattachicon.gifFull size wheel in well_3_30Dec13.jpg

DUH !!!!!

I guess any wheel is better than no wheel when you want to get home.

I had a Porsche 911  some time ago and the spare was for the front only so a rear puncture was replace by the front tyre and the front tyre replace by what can only be described as a pram wheel, which had to be stored deflated because it wouldnt fit in the wheel well. then when the rear wheel was off i have no idea where you were supposed to store it !

Please anyone buying an octavia, order the spare.

What's the hype with the spare? Do you still have many horsecars on the roads leaving a pile of horseshoe nails around? Potholes? How many of you have actually got a flat tyre?

Been driving 20 years now and never needed the spare. Maybe tomorrow? There has been nails and screws but nothing dramatic that made me change the tyre on spot.

Spare ? Couldn't care less.

What's the hype with the spare? Do you still have many horsecars on the roads leaving a pile of horseshoe nails around? Potholes? How many of you have actually got a flat tyre?

Been driving 20 years now and never needed the spare. Maybe tomorrow? There has been nails and screws but nothing dramatic that made me change the tyre on spot.

Loads of times! Nearly always a thick nail, sometimes a headless screw. Sometimes a fully repairable puncture, other times a written off tyre.

And usually the puncture is nothing to do with tyre wear - often only a slightly worn tyre - it is just pot luck.

Fortunately always seems to happen (or at least be discovered) near home, but would hate to be without a spare, even a space saver.

like you i've been driving 20 years and never had a flat....until 3 or 4 weeks ago when I picked up a shiny clout nail...possibly screwfix or b and q car park.  no idea...it made my ture go flat and I was glad I had a spare.  It mant I could continue and it meant kwikfit charged £20 to repair the tyre that was only 500 miles old and not worn at all as it has been on the rear, instead of  using the gunk sealant then binning a £100+ tyre.  Oh look...spare wheel plus repair cost is already cheaper than a new tyre would have been.

yes tyres and roads are better than a few decades ago and punctures are rarer, but many of us do journeys that are long or at times when garages are shut, so if you haven't a spare that allows you to continue a journey you are stuck.  it depends on the type of journeys you do, but I know what I do, and hence I got a spare

And as the new member boldly waves the red rag of temptation at the bull of fate... I've had about seven punctures in the last 15 years (including a double that took out both nearside wheels). Most of them required a fairly immediate wheel change, and would have left a tin of spraygunk sadly lacking. Twice whilst driving (on two separate) unfamiliar roads I've driven, quite slowly, through a large puddle which had in its midst a chasm of a pothole lurking, which took out the sidewall. Also ripped a sidewall last year on a kerb at about 40mph, swerving and braking to avoid the bellend in the other lane pulling front of me when he wasn't even clear of me (he seemed to think the sequence "mirror - signal - manoeuvre" should be re-arranged alphabetically). And the large screw through the middle of the tread of a 1,000 mile old tyre was eminently reparable since I didn't fill the thing full of plastic meringue or whatever those spraycans hold.

Edited by JJJ66
  • Like 2

You can get the full size alloy wheel as a spare if you ask for the alloy as spare part (£135) just make sure they order it as such, and not the same alloy as a factory option at £235

Same wheel huge price hike. Product code for Pictoris alloy 5E0071498H 8Z8

Or look here for other alloy wheel part numbers

http://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b2c/alloy-wheel---pictoris-7-5j-x-18%E2%80%9C-5e0071498h-8z8x

Local dealer has quoted £255+VAT for a one off 18" Anthracite Gemini.

Ouch! :no:

How do I get them to quote and order one as a 'spare part' for £135?

I have a 225/50 R17 (winter) in my spare wheel well and it fits fine. It's the same overall size as a 225/40 R18.

And yes, if I fit the winter it will be for emergencies and will be driven gingerly until it can be replaced.

I have the jack from my MKII but having read about the jacking points I'm thinking of getting a MK3 jack (which rests under the sill rather than either side).

• 3 weeks later...

2200hrs middle of nowhere no spare !

Edited by racman
  • Like 2

Had a  close look at my spare, ordered as an extra when car was new, mainly to check pressure before going on a longish trip. It had been pumped up to 3.2 BAR (duh!)

I set it at 2.5 to allow for a little reduction by the time it is used, if ever - hopefully.

However, apart from being a steel wheel, it is exactly the same tyre size and make (Conti) as on the (16") alloy road wheels. Definitely peace of mind...............