Bit of a strange one...

Bcc212

Has anyone downgraded (sorry, maybe not the best word to use - I don't mean it in that context) to a Fabia Monte Carlo, from an Octavia VRS?

I'm desperately looking to swap my car for potentially 2 new cars, so my wife has a good car too. The best I can see is swapping it for 2 monte carlo's. My biggest fear is that the 85bhp is going to cripple me and I'll want to swap it before the 3 year finance is up on it.

Has anyone been there and can offer me some advice?

Are these Diesels?

You have Fabia Monte Carlo Hatches & Some Estates, Monte Carlo Techs.

Different power out puts 1.6 CR TDI & 1.2 TSI.  

Different Prices, Spec etc.

So do you want a 105 PS Petrol or Diesel.?

Best go test drive some.

PS

Be aware there are 75ps 1.6 TDI CR Monte Carlos,

and some sellers have the wrong spec in adverts.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The petrol 105bhp monte is a lovely engine, much stronger than you may think.... plus a remap or TMC box (if you dont want the dealer to know) could see about 135-140bhp, which would make it quite quick :) RARB to help the handling, and you may not miss your octy too much ;)

I just chopped in my octy vrs before Xmas for a Monte Carlo estate black edition. The only thing that I find better is the peace of mind with the 3 years free servicing etc.

the mpg I find poor. Was expecting a lot more although it may improve with miles or at least I hope so.

I miss the extra 100+ bhp. Erm I'm not really selling it to you here am I haha.

The heated seats are hotter so that's another positive note.

I also traded in my trusty octy diesel work horse for a citigo black edition. All I will say is it's fun and choose to grab the keys for it every morning unless its minus temp outside then I will choose the bum warmers in the fabia and let the swmbo freeze :D

If you want to know anything else please just ask!

That's my fear. It's like when it went in for warranty work. I was comfortable with the octavia and knew its quirks and pitfalls which made me dislike it to a degree. I spent 4 days in a poverty spec Fabia and it was a real eye opener upon receiving my Octavia back.

The biggest reason I want one, or 2 in this case, is that my wife needs a new car desperately and financially, it's viable to trade the Octavia in and essentially have 2 monte carlo's for the outlay of the Octavia. (Monthly finance wise).

I just don't want to be stuck with 2 cars which are underwhelming, too small (we have child and dog) for anything practical. Which leads me onto the estate, but I can't find one for good enough money to make it a viable choice.

Well a change in work circumstances made me get the citigo and the fact I wouldn't need the diesel octavia as I wasn't going to be doing mega miles. So that worked perfect as its a good city hopper on a morning for me. Nippy with good mpg and we have been away in it a couple of times and the boot is big enough for a weekend trip for us and the 2 kids.

The octavia vrs was always my toy but you will know when kids come along (3+5 now) that toys hit the back burner but it was a brilliant family car. Huge boot, reliable considering the mods, and rather fast but the mpg never really got over 32. The tax was £250 a year and modified insurance wasn't that cheap. But it did need more jobs doing to it as it got older hence getting the fabia estate.

Don't get me wrong it is cheaper to run and the estate is a good size and will serve me well but I feel like I've lost a limb at times and there are a few things that I'm missing over the octavia. Little things like manual windows in the back which the kids love putting down (I think you'll know where I'm coming from). No lumbar adjustment on the drivers seat. No full size spare alloy wheel as standard.

End of the day go and have a play with them at the dealers (the cars before anyone says different) and see what you think.

That's my fear. It's like when it went in for warranty work. I was comfortable with the octavia and knew its quirks and pitfalls which made me dislike it to a degree. I spent 4 days in a poverty spec Fabia and it was a real eye opener upon receiving my Octavia back.

The biggest reason I want one, or 2 in this case, is that my wife needs a new car desperately and financially, it's viable to trade the Octavia in and essentially have 2 monte carlo's for the outlay of the Octavia. (Monthly finance wise).

I just don't want to be stuck with 2 cars which are underwhelming, too small (we have child and dog) for anything practical. Which leads me onto the estate, but I can't find one for good enough money to make it a viable choice.

you wil never compare it to the octy...... you wont get the big car feel, or the comparative comfort..... BUT with a remap, a RARB (H&R for me ;) ) and a set of eibachs, you WILL have a fun hatch to play with , so wont loose the "fun" factore you are pining on ;)

Done exactly what you are are suggesting, swmbo's vRS for a Monte (105 diesel). as suggested totally different cars so a comparison is unfair. power wise the 105 goes surprisingly well though not to vRS standards but it rolls along quite nicely. Not quite the kit as a vRS but ok for a small car. The change was not as bad as I thought it might be. Swmbo likes it so is happy.