EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation Unit Nightmare !

Just thought I would share my tale of woe with you all !

Up until about two weeks ago I was still enjoying my 59 Plate Octavia Elegance Estate 1.6Tdi. Unfortunately, I had to take it back to my Skoda dealer as it had developed an Engine 'Flat spot', Stalling and Glow Plugs/Engine Amber lights illuminating faults etc.

On my first visit, the dealer carried Diagnostics but as no fault was found suggested replacing the Fuel Filter which cost £139.00. This did not solve the problem and had to return with vehicke today. After a further three hours more Diagnostics and Road Test they agreed as I had suggested, that the problem did in fact lie with the EGR Unit. I was then asked if I had purchased the car New from them and whether I had had it Serviced as per the Manufacturer and by them. The answer to all these questions was Yes and the reason was that they knew full well that this replacement is very expensive and they would ask Skoda fir a contribution towards the cost but didn't want to build my hopes up. I was then told that their would be 'absolutely no goodwill' from Skoda and the 5 1/2 hour procedure would cost just shy of £1,000 ! When they had scraped me off the floor and sat me back down they said that the dealer would help out and reduce the cost to around £800.

Luckily, a day or so back I had posted a message on Skoda U.K's Facebook page querying the this EGR failure fitted to VW Diesels as well documented on the Internet etc. I was contacted by a nice chap from their Customer Services and we had a long chat. He ended up telling me that Skoda as a Manufacturer would contribute to any large Bills and furnished me with a Ref number etc. After giving the Service Manager the details, he rang Skoda Customer Service and Result (well sort if), they agreed to meet some of the cost which brought the bill down to just under £700.

I am Still realing from this huge Repair Bill and strongly feel Skoda should have paid more as I don't feel something like this should fail at 47,000 miles. This has certainly put me off Diesel Engines and rapidly going off Skoda too Just hope I can get another few years use out of the Car before replacing it, if I can afford to !

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like you got off lightly. My failure caused the engine to fry and looks like it will cost £6k+ with no goodwill from skoda. I wonder if the people on here who have had these EGR Problems should get together and go to a consumer watchdog somewhere to get skoda to pay attention?

The cost is in getting at the egr valve. On some diesel engines the egr and associated cooler are mounted on the back of the engine and the exhaust needs to come off, which in turns means dismantling the subframe, which the suspension is attached to. The egr and cooler parts are around £300 IIRC.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The EGR valve and cooler are located on the rear of the engine,Just below the exhaust manifold, I have changed mine after glow plug light and limp mode, The exhaust can be wedged to the side to gain clearance, The alloy subframe removed, with battery and turbo inlet manifold gearchange and water pipes on the right hand side of block,Workig blind over 4x4 gearbox the two metal crimped exhaust pipes that feed the unit removed then clamping water pipes the unit can be slid sideways over gearbox, 

my unit came from tps  cst abot £288 , purchased through friends account so lost the vat, took all day .

Dave. (No i don't want to do another one).

Have you looked at a company called Terraclean as this seems to be the answer to cleaning the egr and even the dreaded dpf.... I think I first saw it on wheeler dealers and then it popped up on my Facebook feed as one of my friends liked them... Might be worth looking into as it might save on money... Obviously no good to you now, but might be to someone else..

• Like 1

I can't see any reason why the whole fuel filter would be replaced. It's essentially just a canister which holds the paper replaceable element. Cost for the whole filter assembly is £180 odd, while the filter element is only £45. Add a diagnostics charge on and a quick bit of labour and that would make about the right money.

I can't see any reason why the whole fuel filter would be replaced. It's essentially just a canister which holds the paper replaceable element. Cost for the whole filter assembly is £180 odd, while the filter element is only £45. Add a diagnostics charge on and a quick bit of labour and that would make about the right money.

Damage to the lip causing a leak? Maybe just the top part?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Have you looked at a company called Terraclean as this seems to be the answer to cleaning the egr and even the dreaded dpf.... I think I first saw it on wheeler dealers and then it popped up on my Facebook feed as one of my friends liked them... Might be worth looking into as it might save on money... Obviously no good to you now, but might be to someone else..

Second this, different engine but had similar probs with my 1.9 TDi pd130 engine & my mechanic recommended getting a Terraclean but use the EGR tool. My car runs spot on after that service they completed

Terraclean works

G