2014 Skoda Octavia Scout towbar

PF Jones have one! It is made by Westfalia who make the OEM bars (as per the links above).

I had a Westfalia detachable fitted to my RRP (raised height option) Mk3 4x4 by the dealer before collection. Not a problem and I'll be within a cm or so of your ride height.

When detached the bar is completely invisible.

OctyTowbar.jpg

this for "newbie" . thanks for updating me on the Skoda offer!!! the towbar has indeed now appeared on their website!  why does it take so long after a car is built and on sale, to offer a very important addition for some drivers.  We shall one way or another now get a towbar.  Many thanks to all of you for your comments.  Jeannie.

• 1 month later...

I have a MkII Scout (as with the MkIII it has a raised ride height over the standard model) and the towbar fitted to my Scout is not unique to the Scout, it is compatible with all MkII Octavia estates.

I'd be surprised if this has changed for the MkIII.

Also I understand the latest factory fitted VAG towbars are the ones that fold away underneath the car and are released by pressing a button in the boot.

This might be why the same car in the press video appears to not have a towbar fitted when shown towing earlier - because the towbar is in the stored position out of view?

Manual version (pull a knob) on an Audi but I've seen a simple electric push button version too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAEALYzYNQ

The Westfalia bar fitted to the MkII Scout also fitted the Superb.  I nearly removed mine thinking I might reuse it but I'm glad I've waited until there's a factory fit option.  The new Superb will have a swivel/tilt bar like Audis wher the system (on mine anyway) is to pull a cord.  The first time I did it I pulled like hell as the previous "twist the tap" system required the skills of an arm-wrestling gynaecologist.  Thankfully not the shortsighted one...

I got my Scout's towbar from Towequipe, and stumbled upon the paperwork only the other day where I had scribbled on a 5% discount code "REPCUST".  May help someone. ;)

Sorry folks - just googled them.

Edited by Jeeves

I just got a bar for my VRS from www.towsure.com maybe worth a call.

Hi andy. I have an octavia vrs estate and was told that I couldn't have a towbar fitted. Then when I complained they say oh sorry we've had a memo saying we can fit them now. Is urs a double socket version? And did u have the trailer prep already fitted by skoda? I've just been quoted near £900 by our dealer for one fitted!!!

Hi, yes double socket but the universal wiring kit and instructions came with the bar not pre-fitted. I suspect I may have some issues with reversing sensors once fitted and the fitting may take me a bit longer but at £150 for the complete CE marked kit compared to the price from Skoda, I can put up with some beeping on the few occasions I will reverse with a trailer on.

Hi andy. I have an octavia vrs estate and was told that I couldn't have a towbar fitted. Then when I complained they say oh sorry we've had a memo saying we can fit them now. Is urs a double socket version? And did u have the trailer prep already fitted by skoda? I've just been quoted near £900 by our dealer for one fitted!!!

Ring PF Jones and get a quote from them.

Hi, yes double socket but the universal wiring kit and instructions came with the bar not pre-fitted. I suspect I may have some issues with reversing sensors once fitted and the fitting may take me a bit longer but at £150 for the complete CE marked kit compared to the price from Skoda, I can put up with some beeping on the few occasions I will reverse with a trailer on.

The factory kit does a bit more than just disable the reversing sensors.

Does anyone know where I can get a towbar for the NEW Mk 3 Octavia Scout estate?

We are expecting to take delivery of our Scout at the end of this week, did you find an aftermarket tow bar for your Scout?

Thanks

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian. So sorry I didn't reply...only just seen your post! No , no towbar yet!!! Skoda still holding out in the technical info for aftermarket producers. Very frustrating! Jeanne

For a complete luddite on towbars . . .  do I need to specify both the towbar preparation @ £175 and the the towbar install @ £550 from the option list on a new VRS order, or does the towbar install include the prep?   Any cheaper options available??  

I sorted mine 12 months ago, when towbar was not available on options, so had prep on the build order (£180), then dealer fitted the towbar (£450), have you tried to spec just the towbar on the configurator? I'm sure that would soon tell you if you needed towbar prep as well.

Doh. Good idea, Miz, I should have thought of that.  COnfigurator actually only allows selection of towbar prep or towbar, so it seems the whole thing is £550. I assume it comes with electrics!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Once I got the bumper off and access to the wiring loom it became obvious that the gauge of the wires would be insufficient to carry the current required for normal trailer lighting due to the car having LED rear lamps. I have therefore ordered a bespoke wiring kit directly from the dealer at £162.00 (no towbar prep) Slightly cheaper if you ordered prep from the factory, rather than the universal cable chocks which came with the bar.

Still the total with the bar and loom is just over £300 if you don't mind doing the work yourself. The mechanical part of the bar fitted fine, getting the bumper off is a bit fiddly and you have to unclip the rear exhaust mounting in order to swing down the heat shield to fit and tighten the mounting bolts. A hole has to be cut in the bumper but this is pre-defined for you so easy to do.

I will provide a further update once I have fitted the wiring, suspect I may have to have an ECU update also but will check when I collect the loom.  

Scout Towbar update.

I ordered my Scout with tow bar prep, £175.

Westphalia detachable tow bar from PF Jones, £175.

Westphalia electrics from PF Jones, £90.

VCDS enable courtesy of faboka vrs.

Its all up and running and as far as I’m aware its all the same as factory.

If I have to do it again I would order the tow bar from PF Jones and get a tow bar electrician to wire up the electrics through a can bus thingy, I’m sure this would be fine if you just need lights on a trailer.

Brian.

Forgot to add, as far as I am now aware the Skoda tow bar prep is:-

Add all necessary fuses to fuse box.

Extend cables from fuse box to rear of the car. (Not rear enough for my liking!)

Cut a hole in the rear bumper.

Brian.