ticking noise from passenger footwell - 4x4

Any ideas what this could be? Nothing seems to be loose or vibrating, I cant locate where it is coming from? Its a regular ticking noise that doesnt change speed or anything no matter what the car is doing. Its not really loud, you can only hear it when the stereo is off or on very quiet. Bought the car last night and didnt hear it then, although I was concentrating on getting it home!

I have seen the threads on the charcoal canister, but this is on the other side of the car. I havent opened up the bonnet yet to have a listen.

Any ideas appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

whack fans onto full blast for a bit - I used to get rattles in my A3 and sometimes it was a leaf, and a session on full blast (close all other vents and direct air to just the section you want - i.e. mid-console, not top or footwells) would blow bits into the cabin and clear the problem.

Rest your thumb on the hand brake handle/button - it is often the culprit when it comes to cabin rattles.

*ding*

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you sort this. It is really irritating, but kinda nice to know it is a common problem.

Also, my rear seat rattles where it hooks into the rear frame.

my rear seat rattles where it hooks into the rear frame.

My mondeo did this, the fix is very technical. Get a reel of electrical tape (normal sellotape is no good) and wrap a couple of layers around the metal where the seat catch engages. Put seat back into normal position, and voila noise gone.

My mondeo did this, the fix is very technical. Get a reel of electrical tape (normal sellotape is no good) and wrap a couple of layers around the metal where the seat catch engages. Put seat back into normal position, and voila noise gone.

Nice one! Thanks for the top tip.

May have to apply the same method to the glovebox, handbrake button...

;)

• 2 weeks later...