pre new-ish car jitters!

vigyaz

Sorry but it is not a small statistical chance of failure.

The Rate of Failure of the 1.4TSI CAVE Twincharger 132kw in the vRS MK2 Fabia from June 2010-September 2012 

is greater than 1/5th / 20%  actually more like 1/3rd now, 

because replacement engines have now failed, and more are still failing.

Even some of the Revised Engines from 2012, 13,14 are Failing and Skoda UK are not looking Sympathetically on cars out of the Original Warranty even though they knew they were likely to fail and never did a Service Campaign.

1,800 of these cars with these engines in the UK 2010-late 2012.

One Member has been told the Cost is over £6,000 to change the Engine & Goodwill from Skoda (VW) is 80% and the member 

has to pay 20%.

Oddly the Invoice for a Skoda Warrantied engine replacement is under £4,500 normally.

Depends if it is just the 'Base Engine', or also the Turbo & CAT requiring replacement.

So there are good cars, and cars with replacement engines that are good.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-vrs-2010/?section=good

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

Edited by goneoffSKi

George, a thread on honestjohn is not the last word in comparable quality data. We're both conjecturing opinion at the moment based upon internet stories. The in field warranty data is probably available somewhere, and if it's really that important then JD Power is your place. Even that (unless you pay) isn't detailed enough.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/index.htm

or here (for UK)

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/survey (costs a £1 for non members)

Top 5 Used:

Auris Hybrid

Mazda 3

Auris

Mazda 3 diesel

Merc B class

Worst 5 (used)

Focus diesel

1 series petrol

Citroen C4

Pug 307

Megane

and this is cut and pasted from the Which Fabia review:

What's its Achilles' heel?

The Fabia is no longer the bargain proposition it once was. And many engines are rather unrefined by modern standards - especially the diesels and the underpowered 1.2 60bhp three-cylinder petrol version. Also, stability control is not standard on all models, and visibility is poor.

Track record

The Fabia scores a three-star rating overall in the latest Which? Car Survey. Electric windows cause the most problems for owners, while on cars up to three years old, there have been a worrying number of reported problems with the ECU (electronic control unit) on diesel cars, as well as the automatic transmission.

Top choice

The 1.2 TSI 85bhp petrol combines the best blend of ease of driving, economy and keen pricing. We'd opt for the SE trim level.

Edited by stever750

The Honest John Information is factually wrong in many cases.

&

There are Briskoda Members posting to them accurate information, and corrections.

Some of us on here have more detailed information on Failures and some have undergone the Skoda / VW / Seat / Audi 

Dealership & Skoda Customer Services Experience with some of the 1,800 CAVE (& 1,200 CTHE) Engine Skoda UK Registered cars

or the 4,000 Seat, Audi & VW Twincharger 132-136 kw.

So it can be taken with a Pinch of Salt or as Skoda UK CS Employees say'.

'Overblown online, and do not listen to Briskoda'.

But hey hoe, has any Engine in the past 20 years other than in the Mazda Rotary Engines

had a greater failure rate.?

Maybe ask these Briskoda Members if they contributed to the JD Power Survey on the Skoda vRS Fabia Mk2,

or any other Survey, Customer Satisfaction of Dealer or Skoda UK when they had a Fabia MK2 vRS

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi

There's  no smoke without fire as they say, and there are problems, but the critical data is the ppm failuer rate for these reported issues in these forums. If ther 1.4 TSI engine was substantially worse than the Ford 1.6TDCi engine, then you'd see that data in these reports, but it doesn't as far as I can see, and it's likely that you're more likely to suffer engine failures buying a used Ford / French car of any marque than a VAG, and less likely if you buy something from Japan, and if it's from Honda the only way to break the engine is by running over it with a steamroller. Owners forums are a great source of info, but by nature any recurring faults will skew perception of the real data.

OK.

Maybe do not believe any of it,  and "it is only people with faults that come to Forums to moan or ask for advice".

You can lead a horse to water and all that.

After all the 1.4 TSI has 9 years of 'Under 1.4 litre Engine of the year awards,

but then it is from 140 ps -185 ps & lower with Just Turbo or Dual Charge (Twin Charger Super & Turbo.)

http://ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/results.php?id=12

Oddly, THE '2015 FL VW POLO GTI 192 PS' is NOT OUT WITH PRIVATE CUSTOMERS YET.

** THE 192 ps POLO GTI is a 1.8TSI in 2015, not under 1.4 litres

so is this some Special Polo we have not heard of with a 1.4TSI 192ps ?**

The Mk5 Polo GTI 1.4 TSI 180 ps from 2010-2014 was not available to buy new after it was discontinued in Early 

2014, or the Audi A1 185 ps, & the Skoda MK2 was last built November 2014.

The Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI (2013 FL1.4TSI) is still showing as Available for Factory Builds.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Had an interesting conversation with one of the techs in the garage this morning. I wouldn't buy the twin charger that's for sure.

EDIT - point being a 1.4TSI is comparably free of any major issues.

Edited by stever750

The e46 M3 IS plagued with problems concerning the rear axel carrier panel.

The rear axel is held in the rear subframe and this is bolted to the rear axel carrier panel. The panel is prone to cracking due to the torque reaction being channelled through the mounting points.

BMW are denying there is a problem but if your car is less than 10 years old and FSH then they will replace the panel (major surgery) FOC and the cost is £5000 internally invoiced.

All cars have issues

So I dropped the deal and kept the loan, time to go shopping for something else now, maybe sell the missus 02'furby finally and get an upgrade for her as my tdi looks attractive now compared to this week's Polava!

Hello mate, I was in the same boat as you a few days ago! I found a 60 plate VRS with the skoda warranty, but couldn't commit after all these horror stories. Just not worth the car letting me down.

I'm just about to trade in my Octavia VRS for a Monte Carlo fabia 1.2 tsi 105. I test drove it today and in all honesty, it's not get up and go like the Octavia or the fabia VRS, but it moves along lovely! Everything is just 'right' with it. Apparently they can be chipped or remapped to 130hp with little effort and cost, so that's always a plus too, and I would imagine the effects are quite good.

As before. Fabia Monte Carlo 1.2 TSI?

Phil

If you don't need the VRS speed the 1.2tsi is a cracking little engine IMO.

Quiet, refined, relatively nippy and warms up very fast too.

• Like 1

So we ventured out to progress northampton and I can't believe the drop in price of the fabia s... £6.6k for a 14plate.. Going back tomorrow to look at an se there for £6.8k, 13plate, 10k miles, seems a good buy and it's a 1.2tsi.

• Like 1

Yes, amazing how much they have lost in a small amount of time, considering they were never expensive anyway!

Same money gets you a tidy 8 year old blue diesel one... :D

Edited by BossFox

Yes, amazing how much they have lost in a small amount of time, considering they were never expensive anyway!

Same money gets you a tidy 8 year old blue diesel one... :D

Haha, well I think I prefer at least an se if we get one, my current tdi is an s and it's a little basic...

• Like 1

And the story continues, went to skoda northampton today again, deposit now put down on a 1.4mpi 12' plate fabia SE in white as per wife's request, same engine as her current mpi, not the fastest but suits her needs to a tee, guys at skoda were extremely helpful today and not pressurising in the slightest, 12 months used skoda warranty, and bartering the price down to pay for the renewal of extended warranty hopefully :) .

walked away much happier from dealers today knowing that weve experienced this engine before and its a tough bugger. + timing chain so even less to worry about :D

And the story continues, went to skoda northampton today again, deposit now put down on a 1.4mpi 12' plate fabia SE in white as per wife's request, same engine as her current mpi, not the fastest but suits her needs to a tee, guys at skoda were extremely helpful today and not pressurising in the slightest, 12 months used skoda warranty, and bartering the price down to pay for the renewal of extended warranty hopefully :) .

walked away much happier from dealers today knowing that weve experienced this engine before and its a tough bugger. + timing chain so even less to worry about :D

They did a 1.4 MPI in 2012?

They did a 1.4 MPI in 2012?

Aye was the last of a dying breed, last ones they made were in 2012 :) good engines from my experience so a happy buyer !

Now gotta sell my wifes green machine :D

Edited by vigyaz
  • Like 1

They did indeed, SE 1.4 16v 86ps  i believe.

Shame really i like the 1.4mpi in my wifes mk1, not fast by any means but a nice drive.

lots of small engines with turbos to meet emissions nowadays it seems :P