Timing belt issue

Hi All

We are going to get the timing belt done. I spoke to my mechanic and he can do the belt and water pump for under £300 but it is a Gates timing belt kit. He uses Gates almost all the time as seemingly they manufacture OEM belts and he says they are excellent quality.

Does anyone know if they make the Skoda belts?

I have used this mechanic with the VRS, my Astravan and the wife's Porsche for several things and I trust his work and judgement.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

Just for info: Timing belt and water pump done.Just coming up for 59,000 miles. 5 years old.

Timing belt had very faint cracks on outside. Inside was perfect. Mechanic reckoned it would have done 100,000 miles easily. Water pump was perfect.

Gates timing belt kit with all new rollers/tensioners. New water pump has a metal impeller instead of plastic like the original. £280 for parts and labour from indy mechanic.

I had the cambelt and water pump replaced in July last year at a Skoda dealer. They told me they needed the car for two days.

The tracker and in car cameras say otherwise;

Car dropped off at approx 0830.

Work started Approx 1230.

Road test 1500-1520.

Car parked up approx 1620.

I receive telephone call from Service Desk the next day at 1030 to say the car is ready, approx 19 hours after they finished working on it.

So going by above, 3-4 hours.

Fin

Just had the timing belt changed (at approaching six years 68k miles due to Main Dealer stating on my request for action on last two services it didn't need attention yet). This despite last six months intermittant operation of engine "coil" warning light and car entering "limp home" mode. On my instruction to dealer for a diagnostic (they were not keen to take my money!) it showed (after they cleared it by mistake the first time and I had to return it later!!)  Throttle Position Sensor and Camshaft Sensor. They cleaned the contacts to the throttle body and said that might be it, still no action on cam belt. I mentioned it again, they blanked me.

After a frustrating 10 mile motorway light up power down journey Monday night with it erratically floating in and out of low power mode, I contacted an independant VAG service agent. They immediately took the car in on Tuesday on the basis that they might not be able to look at it till Thurs, however, despite being busy they did the Diag, found the same diag codes, questioned the belt change, agreed with me the belt should really have been changed at 4 years, esp given my usage.

Wed p.m. I was picked up by them to collect car. They'd changed the belt and the camshaft position sensor.  VAG approved belt "on discount" @ £110 ex VAT, Camshaft sensor £83 ex VAT, 2hr 20m labour, two year warranty.

Total bill £508.52 inc Diag, VAT, etc.

Time will tell............................

P1tud, the mechanic did it in an afternoon. The only thing I have had to do was check the coolant level and top it up. It took about half a pint and been fine since.